The Eagle Benson Loop 2013/11/24

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

The Eagle Benson Loop 2013/11/24

Post by Guy » November 25th, 2013, 5:23 pm

We had planned to take advantage of the great weather & the sweet spot between the end of paid permits & the beginning of snow park season for a St. Helens Climb on Sunday. That was before I spent a whole Saturday raking & hauling leaves in our 1 acre garden! Crawling back into the house Saturday evening though I knew that there wasn't a 5000' climb & 5 hours of driving left in me!

Instead I thought I'd continue my theme of last week, reprising hikes that I haven't done since the 1980's & so an Eagle Benson Loop it was!

We set off from the lower Eagle Creek Parking lot at 8:00, there were three cars parked at the upper lot that had been there overnight so some folks are still getting out there on backpacking trips. We soon found ourselves running the Ice Gauntlet on the lower Eagle Creek trail.

An uneventful hike up to just before high bridge where we ran into another gauntlet of ice.

Carefully does it!

Just before reaching the junction with the Eagle Benson trail junction you cross the Creek below Wy'east Falls. Someone had left a rope handrail there which on this icy morning was appreciated! The trail climbs & doubles back to the creek above Wyeast Falls. The crossing would have been easy expect for the fact that all the rocks to hop on where covered in a layer of ice & cold wet feet this early in the hike were not something we wanted. Shelly saved the day by making a heroic leap onto a rock that did not look icy! She then threw in a piece of wood so that those of us with shorter legs & heavier packs could also make the jump :) .

The best part of this trail is the next half mile up and around the bluffs looking back down onto Eagle Creek & Wyeast Falls.

Image Image

Not a lot of room for error on this section of the Eagle Benson but it was ice free in in reality not really any more dangerous that the Eagle Creek trail below.

The next mile was a steady climb through trees.

Before the trail opens out again at around 2400'.

Tanner Butte looked cold!

The trail was mostly free of fallen logs but there were about 10 that required either climbing over or crawling under & some were at a height that didn't make either option easy :) ..

Around 3000' the top of Hood came into view.

At about 3500' there is a great north facing viewpoint looking all the way down to the Dam, Ruckle Ridge & Table Mountain.

From here it was about another half mile up to Camp Smokey & the junction with the PCT where we stopped for lunch, we had clocked 9.3 miles & were at 3900'.

It was a lovely Sunny day & amazingly no wind but the air temp was still below freezing or close to it so after about 15 minutes we needed to get moving again, marching North across the Plateau on it's maze of trails! All the snow that Sean had reported on last weekend had melted away.

Soon began the part of the day I was least looking forward to, the descent of the seemingly never ending Ruckle Creek Trail! I thought my climbing was done for the day too but it turned out not to be the case. We stopped at the first big meadow view on the way down where there is a perfect log for sitting on. Chiyoko took her pack off and put it on the side of the trail. It stayed there for a minute or two then began a slow role down the slope! It almost stopped before making one final role over onto steeper terrain then picked up speed as it rolled off the meadow & into the trees below & out of sight! Complete with camera, wallet & driving license inside I figured & had to set off after it and see if it could be retrieved which thankfully after a lot of huffing & puffing it was! The really annoying part was I left my Garmin up on the trail with my pack & so got not credit for the extra climbing ;) ..

Bridge of the Gods came into view at about 2000' as we hiked on down the never ending trail.

Just past the Indian Pits area we met the first two people we had seen since Eagle Creek & we knew one of them, a friend of a friend who I had hiked the Strawberry Mountain Wilderness area with a few times but not seen for several years!

We took the old highway back to the lower Eagle Creek Parking lot arriving back at 4:00pm we had clocked 17.1 miles & 4700' of EG. Parked next to us & just getting ready to leave was Portland Hiker Pablo who had just returned from an Eagle 4.5mile ridge Tanner Loop! Good to bump into you yesterday Paul!

A few more pics of the day here & a map below:

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Rustygoat

Re: The Eagle Benson Loop 2013/11/24

Post by Rustygoat » November 25th, 2013, 7:47 pm

Very cool Guy, I was wondering how the Eagle Creek trail was looking. I haven't been up past Tish Creek yet this year and was hoping to get up there soon. BTW...thanks for your report a couple of years ago to Tish Creek Falls, nice waterfall. :D
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group

cincodemayo

Post by cincodemayo » November 25th, 2013, 8:18 pm

Guy, looks great!!!.....except icy trail.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 25th, 2013, 8:21 pm

Excellent report, Guy - good to see the Eagle-Benson cutoff in the spotlight, too! That's a really cool trail.
Not a lot of room for error on this section of the Eagle Benson but it was ice free in in reality not really any more dangerous that the Eagle Creek trail below.
That is my reaction in that particular section, too - and while the brink isn't at your ankle (like Eagle Creek, below), there's something about circling around the huge chasm of WyEast Creek and the larger Eagle Creek valley that makes this one of the more "airy" trails in the Gorge...! I definitely watch where I'm putting my feet through that section..! :D

It sounds like you got that pack recovered, right....? Yikes! :?

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

pablo

Post by pablo » November 25th, 2013, 9:15 pm

Guy,

Nice to see you again - looks like you guys had a great day - I really like that cliffy section of the Eagle-Benson that you photographed so nicely and we'll spot you a couple hundred feet EG for the backpack retrieval. Going through the icy parts on Eagle Creek trail reminded me that I did not carry my spikes - I did clutch the cable every now and then. Just for the record I did the High Bridge Ridge route, my recollection of EP's TR was faulty.

Like you, I did not see anyone 'til the tail end of my outing - the only sign of other people were some wet foot prints on rocks at creek crossings of Eagle Creek trail - given your starting time that must have been you and your crew - I left around 9:00.

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 26th, 2013, 7:58 pm

Great loop hike on a day with clear (but cold!) weather. I've always been amazed at how ice seems to stick to every rock surface in the Gorge, and build up in ever thickening layers. I definitely enjoyed your pictures.

I've never been on the Eagle-Benson Trail... but I'm curious - is it easier to hike up Eagle-Benson than to hike down it? The Field Guide entry says that trail loses 3000' over three miles as it descends to connect with the Eagle Creek Trail. About as steep as Defiance or Kings Mtn. I'm wondering which is worse, hiking down Ruckel Creek (which I've done before) or hiking down Eagle-Benson? (yes, I'm just full of questions :lol:)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

Guy

Post by Guy » November 26th, 2013, 8:09 pm

Thanks everyone!

@ Crusak, It's 6 of one half a dozen of the other! Personally I think it's better to go up the Eagle Benson as it is steeper than Ruckle. We also did it this way around to Enjoy Eagle Creek before the crowds arrived.

@ Paul yeah we left at 8:00 there were 2 other people that started before us & we passed them at Punch bowl Falls, It's still possible to enjoy solitude on the Eagle Creek trail if you get up early :^)..

@ Tom, the Eagle Benson was a nice surprise, all I remembered from my 1980's trip was it's unrelenting steepness as I came down it Definitely deserves more use by those who like longer day loops.

Here is a Little Video Review:

http://youtu.be/DujxFzvlClk
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 26th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Nice video, Guy! The piles of icicles along the cliff sections looked a bit sketchy, though... :?

So, the real question is whether Chiyoko was carrying the bottle of wine in HER back when it went over the side...? And if so, extreme attempts at retrieval are completely understandable... ;)

Tom :)

Guy

Post by Guy » November 26th, 2013, 9:48 pm

Tom, the thought of having to make a trip to the DMV over the lost driving license was more than enough incentive for the extreme retreval measures ;)
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

potato

Post by potato » November 26th, 2013, 10:40 pm

Guy wrote:Tom, the thought of having to make a trip to the DMV over the lost driving license was more than enough incentive for the extreme retreval measures ;)
Chiyoko: Hey Guy, my pack rolled off a cliff

Guy: Oh well

Chiyoko: Your driver's license was in there. You will have to go to the DMV.

Guy: :o :shock: :? :cry: :evil: :idea: :arrow: :!:

(dives off cliff)

completely reasonable reaction, I think.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)