Tanner Butte and Wauna Viewpoint: 11-23-13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Tanner Butte and Wauna Viewpoint: 11-23-13

Post by Sean Thomas » November 24th, 2013, 6:03 pm

I had a great day hiking up to a windy Tanner Butte on Saturday. The air was crisp, cold and clear and made for some excellent hiking weather. Hiking weather that has many of us eager to reach that desired next destination full of jaw dropping views before the winter weather really sets in. Tanner Butte is no exception in that regard but it was the frozen stream side spectacles that begged for the highest attention yesterday:

It is amazing how much ice gathers around a single blade of grass:

The little drops near the old Tanner Ridge TH off 777 were looking good with a border of frozen leaves and moss:

This one looked sort of mini Ramona Falls-ish:

Alder, Maple Leaves, nothing was spared from the freeze if it was in spitting distance of the creek:

Heavily distracted by the incredible ice show down below I didn't take any more pictures until I reached the large meadow on the way to the butte's spur trail:

There was only an inch or two of crusty snow on the ridge trail and the spur trail was mostly covered with the same. It was a bit slippery getting up the steeper sections but was more than worth it:

The big three were out in Washington:

A nice look over to Larch Mountain framed through the tree tops. Is Karl over there somewhere?

Crummy zoom on Defiance and Tomlike:

Ok, what gives?! I am used to blocking out a tff or two(or three) with my melon head. But an entire Mountain?

After a great lunch up top I dropped back to the ridge trail and hiked over to the Tanner Cutoff junction. I saw a few friendly backpackers on the way down where I continued to drop eg until I hit the 777 again. Instead of returning the way I had hiked in I used the gorge trail to head back to Eagle Creek. On the way, I made the short climb up to Wauna Viewpoint under the powerlines. A massive landslide has taken some of the last few switchbacks near the top and launched them down the hillside in a cluttered mass of rock and debris. Looking online after getting back home and it looks like they have closed the trail. Here are a few pics, approaching the bottom of the slide:

Nice look over the dam to Table and Greenleaf Peak across the Columbia:

Another short scramble over the slide was required to reach the viewpoint:

The view from the top was amazing and with some extra time left in the day I just sat up there and enjoyed the views for a while. Here are the rearing ponds at the hatchery down below:

Adams peeks out with the river snaking across the landscape:

Ruckel Ridge was looking "shady" in the afternoon :D i know :roll:

Maybe more amazing than all the wonderful views throughout the day was watching the fish make their fall (and for many their final)visit to Eagle Creek. Notice the teeth marks in this one:

Not a happy camper at this point:

The stream was just chalked full of them splashing and jumping about:

I spent the rest of the afternoon lounging around the Eagle Creek Overlook near the mouth of the creek. It was a fitting end to another great adventure in the Columbia River Gorge:

kepPNW

Re: Tanner Butte and Wauna Viewpoint: 11-23-13

Post by kepPNW » November 24th, 2013, 6:20 pm

Nice!!! I was so close to going up Tanner yesterday, too! But I just didn't get going soon enough, so hit the closest trailhead I was familiar with. (Still haven't been up Tanner! Must do.) Heh, I was probably down around Wiesendanger by the time you'd peaked out. Beautiful day. You seem to have a bit better ice show, too. Was it windy up there? I'd expected more, but didn't even need to hold my hat at Sherrard. :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » November 24th, 2013, 6:41 pm

Sean,

Nice report and pics!! I was looking over toward Tanner today as I hiked up Archer on the WA side and wondered if any of my TFF's were up there. I really like your ice pics.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » November 24th, 2013, 7:16 pm

Great photos, Sean! Thanks for sharing -- and thanks for at least leaving room for Jeff in that south view from the summit... ;)

Tom :)

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » November 25th, 2013, 9:11 pm

Thanks guys. It would have been fun to run into you up there, Karl. The wind was pretty intense near the summit and was blowing really hard when I got some gas in Troutdale that morning.

Thanks DN. Hopefully there will be some good ice going on Wednesday :)
Splintercat wrote:Great photos, Sean! Thanks for sharing -- and thanks for at least leaving room for Jeff in that south view from the summit... ;)

Tom :)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good eye on Jefferson, Tom ;)

lisaeirene

Post by lisaeirene » November 26th, 2013, 8:27 am

Amazing photos! Love the ice crystals. I haven't heard of this hike but now I want to check it out.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » November 26th, 2013, 7:45 pm

Excellent, Sean. Really enjoyed your pictures. That's quite a large landslide on the Wauna Viewpoint trail.

I'm just like Karl - never been up Tanner Butte. Yet another area that begs exploration!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando