Cape Falcon 10/18/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Banksia

Cape Falcon 10/18/13

Post by Banksia » October 21st, 2013, 7:02 pm

'Twas a beautiful day -- 65 degrees, sunny, no wind -- at Cape Falcon.
cape_falcon.jpg
The trail from north parking to Kramer Memorial viewpoint is in great shape; beyond toward Cape Falcon there are some serious muddy spots that will become awful when the rains resume. This popular trail is in need of significant work.

Whoever wrote in the Bible that "there is nothing new under the sun" didn't go hiking in Oregon in the fall!

Lactarius deliciosus is said by one reference book to be "not generally considered deserving of the species name."
lactarius_deliciosus.jpg
This white slime mold is probably Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa. A bit different from the tapioca slime mold we saw last week on the PCT south of Lolo Pass.
ceratiomyxa_fruticulosa_Q.jpg
Xeromphalina campanella, viewed from below. I don't know what I'd do without flash!
xeromphalina_campanella.jpg
Ramaria araiospora comes up red, and fades to pink then yellow.
ramaria_araiospora.jpg
This conk doesn't match anything we've found in our several books.
conk2.jpg
conk2u.jpg
This is Ganoderma oregonense. Our favorite mycology expert explained to us that it usually takes the form of a bracket or shelf fungus (search Google Images for pictures), but occasionally has this oddly distorted form.
ganoderma_oregonense_1.jpg
ganoderma_oregonense_2.jpg
At the coast, pressure treated wood is no match for fungus.
conk.jpg

200,000'

Re: Cape Falcon 10/18/13

Post by 200,000' » October 24th, 2013, 2:49 pm

thanks for the fungus ID's

Roy

Re: Cape Falcon 10/18/13

Post by Roy » October 25th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Goin down that way tomorrow all I know about fungus is in late seventy's the little caps in the cow pastures of Tillimook made me pretty goofy. They were not illegal yet and a city a cop was picken right beside us one time. He said they were a awesome pain killer for bad back.

Sure :lol:

Nice report----tom/roy
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura