Lookout Mtn to Flag Point and back, 20-Oct-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Lookout Mtn to Flag Point and back, 20-Oct-2013

Post by kepPNW » October 21st, 2013, 5:49 pm

Several of us were so inspired by a photo Allison posted recently, that we were determined to get to that place, and fast! I believe she was there on the 17th, and we made it up to Badger Creek Wilderness on the 20th. I think you'll see why. Here's my best stab at recreating it...

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? The Western larches seem to be at their peak right now!

Flipping between the two, I still think Allison's is the better. We certainly owe a great day to her, as well. Kam (pdxflowergirl), Brianne (a friend of Kam's), and I carpooled up to High Prairie trailhead. From US-35, turn onto nicely paved FR44 and follow it 3.7 miles. If you drank too much coffee before leaving, stop before/when turning right on gravel road FR4410. Really, the 4.6 miles of washboards are far better experienced on an empty bladder. :) All-in-all, it's not that bad accessing this trailhead, even though it's 4700' above US35! (Alternatively, you could climb up from the highway.)

Anyway, it's mystifying to me how High Prairie got its name. It's sort of a flat spot in the forest, with a pair of trails running through it. Would recommend taking the right-hand trail when you leave the TH, as it follows more along a series of viewpoints on the brief (500') climb up Lookout Mountain. The left fork of the loop is an old jeep trail that used to service the lookout. We came down that one, as it was both shorter and more nicely cushioned with duff for tired knees to descend.

Views of Hood open up along the short climb up Lookout Mtn. Look at all the fall color down there!

The ridge between Newton Creek (closer) and Clark Creek is pronounced with snow only on one side.

The rich, red, volcanic soils were quite striking!

In no time at all, or so it seemed (we actually stopped to admire the views a lot!), we were atop the first knoll/bump of Lookout Mountain. There were volcanoes in every direction we looked. Swinging south to north...

Broken Top and the Three Sisters

Jefferson

Hood, of course.

Rainier and Adams. And lookit that larch, too!

Saint Helens was visible too, but it somewhat paled in comparison as much of the snow seems to have melted. Washington was prominent between between Jefferson and the Sisters, and from some angles Three Finger Jack was popping up as well. Lookout Mountain is itself a bit of a ridge, which we traversed to the true summit, were we ran into some folks who'd brought up their ham radio to while away the time.

Close-up of Hood from Lookout, straight at the Newton-Clark glacier, separated from the Elliot by Cooper Spur (on right).

Visibility was just wonderful this day. There was a gentle SE wind.

From Lookout, we would follow the Divide Trail southeast, roughly along this ridge, enjoying frequent overlooks along the way.

Our destination, the Flag Point Lookout, was in sight much of the way. (Look at those larch!)

We were a bit baffled why a number of ancient White-bark pine trees had been cut down. Anyone know?

You could almost feel their pain...

As we wandered along the ridge, in and out of the forest, we had to remind ourselves to look up to see the Western larch in its full fall glory. These trees were so big, so old, that the golden glow was often 50-100' up in the air. About halfway along the Divide Trail, we passed a junction with the Fret Creek trail. Not long after that, was a placed called Palisade Point. The views here were fabulous! If you do this hike, plan to spend 30-45 minutes just exploring the many outcrops that take you to fabulous cliffside overlooks. Great place for a snack!

Look up!

Palisade Point

A dog without fear. Heh...

Looking south, Flag Point is the far high point along the ridge.

Just soaking it all in. Really, stop and savor these viewpoints.

This rock hid the overlook from the main trail. But there was a sneaky little route around.

In the last shot, Kam was pointing at these cool pinnacles below.

Hard enough to get to, it's probably safe from anyone trying to "protect" someone from it!

This old tree just drips elegance, don't ya think?

Just another of numerous viewpoints. Kam, Oliver and Max were all anxious to get out there first...

Brianne and I were close behind, though!

More pinnacles! And larch!

As we neared Flag Point, the proportion of larch in the forest only increased. And while much of it was very old, and still required looking up to see, there was more and more new ones too growing up from clearings. These are really incredible trees.

Look up!

Ooooooooh... Eye-level!

Beauteous.

The tiniest pinecone? Honestly, I could barely see what Kam was talking about, and she had to point at it for me!

We passed a good sized hole in the ground, maybe 6-8" in diameter, that seems to have once held a hornet nest.

There were a half-dozen, or more, combs lying on the ground beside it. Really weird.

Finally, the Divide Trail emerged upon a road that's used to service the lookout. We followed the road up for the last half-mile.

It's actually quite an extensive operation they have here, with several out-buildings in addition to the lookout itself.

Unfortunately, perhaps due to Congressional inaction, the place was all locked up. We still climbed up for the best views.

And, in so doing, discovered the spot Allison teased us all with just a few days ago! :)

Oh. My.. Goodness...

Not sure I understand putting a seismograph (in the barrel) atop a wooden tower!

We settled in upon the rocks for a nice lunch with a view.

A really, truly amazing view.

This little pika didn't stick around for long. We were definitely invading his territory!

It's really a nice tower. My only disappointment, slight at that, was in not having the opportunity to check out the inside.

The hike back pretty much retraced our previous steps. This was an odd hike in a way, in that we started high (6000'), climbed a bit, then dropped down considerably, and climbed a bit more, before turning around and repeating it all in reverse.

Click for full-sized map.

As the sun's rays shifted, different low-level larch were highlighted than what we saw on the way in.

Hard not to stop at such a sight. (Not just for the TR, TRoy! ;))

Unlike most "brownish" needles, these were so delicately soft to the touch.

We had to regain over 1000' surrendered feet to get back up on top of Lookout Mountain again.

Paying more attention to the ground now, I noticed some really different fall colors down there.

As the sun slowly sank, we re-summited Lookout Mountain. There was a distinct chill in the air.

Parting shot of Hood.

What a great day to be in the woods!!! And what a great woods to be in!!! Wow... I'd never been in Badger Creek Wilderness before. (Closest probably being Camp Baldwin back in '73 or '74?) Just beautiful.

Final stats must be tempered by reverence for the views. Total of about 12.2 miles and 3000' EG. About 5:20 moving, and 2:20 stopped. :)

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=2845&w=645&h=440

Oh, and if we needed anymore proof of the "Portland Hikers effect", we also crossed paths with Thunder Thigh 3 on the road to the Flag Point Lookout.

(It's all your fault, Allison! :lol:)

Small world! :D
Last edited by kepPNW on October 22nd, 2013, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peder

Re: Lookout Mtn to Flag Point and back, 20-Oct-2013

Post by Peder » October 21st, 2013, 6:51 pm

Beautiful landscape! That place has just been moving up my priority list for the past year... Seriously jealous!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Limey

Post by Limey » October 21st, 2013, 7:47 pm

Karl, fabulous photos. It really is an amazing area. I've explored there a lot because it's so close to where I live. There are an incredible number of rock outcroppings that we've run across while bushwhacking, and of course, they all have jaw dropping views. Last year we camped in the area every weekend and explored everywhere we could. Also spent two separate weeks camping/exploring and we've barely scratched the surface. I just love it up there.

Marilyn

romann

Post by romann » October 21st, 2013, 11:32 pm

Great pictures, Karl. I've only been there in summer and didn't have a clue there's so many larches around Flag Point. Those rock spires and "mushrooms" are interesting, too.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 22nd, 2013, 5:52 am

Peder wrote:Beautiful landscape! That place has just been moving up my priority list for the past year... Seriously jealous!
I'd bookmarked a post by TT3 earlier this spring, planning to get up there, and it sort of slipped my radar until Allison captured it so brilliantly. Fall seems to be an ideal time, but it'd probably be pretty sweet anytime the air is clear. :)
Limey wrote:Karl, fabulous photos. It really is an amazing area. I've explored there a lot because it's so close to where I live. There are an incredible number of rock outcroppings that we've run across while bushwhacking, and of course, they all have jaw dropping views. Last year we camped in the area every weekend and explored everywhere we could. Also spent two separate weeks camping/exploring and we've barely scratched the surface. I just love it up there.
Thanks, Marilyn! I was seriously impressed, and will surely go back. What a beautiful spot to have right in your backyard! A couple times when we dropped packs along the trail, I just wandered around a bit "towards the light" and found just incredible overlooks by most any standard, though only run-of-the-mill along this ridge apparently as the trail didn't even bother to swing by. :)

Since you're so familiar, I'd love to ask something. I've heard there's a fair amount of blowdown on that trail from Flag Point down towards Badger Lake. I was thinking of making a loop (probably next summer, now) from US35, up to Lookout, over to Flag Point, down to Badger Creek, and then back up and over Gumjuwac. Would that be really nasty, obstacle-wise?
romann wrote:Great pictures, Karl. I've only been there in summer and didn't have a clue there's so many larches around Flag Point. Those rock spires and "mushrooms" are interesting, too.
Thanks, Roman! I wasn't aware of the larches, either. Looked like a number of ridges offered them, too. Kam was having "issues" :) driving along FR44 because there was too much to look at other than the road! :lol: I think any number of pullouts there offered trails into some pretty larch-y areas. They certainly lined the roadway.
Karl

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » October 22nd, 2013, 6:01 am

Great pictures as usual!

:? I know I've asked this before a few times, but... which Lumix are you shooting with again? I bookmarked it before but I lost all my more recent BM's in a HD crash a few months ago... 8-)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 22nd, 2013, 6:08 am

Heh, thanks Eric! It's just a DMC-ZS19 that I picked up as a refurb. Virtually disposable. :)
Karl

Thunder Thigh 3

Post by Thunder Thigh 3 » October 22nd, 2013, 4:34 pm

Hey Kep' - nice photos and TR! It was fun to run into you guys up there - made my world smaller in a nice way. I think that larch is/was at its prime on Sunday. The huckleberries were also fun in the low evening light:
IMG_0721_1_1.JPG
I lingered long at the Palisades - both coming and going. I could have basked there all day! I have a lot of the same pictures you do, but happened to be on my way out at the perfect time to catch Mt. Adams right at sunset:
IMG_0782_1.JPG
I'm glad you finally got a chance to get out there!

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » October 22nd, 2013, 6:46 pm

Another great report, Karl - thanks for posting! :)
There were a half-dozen, or more, combs lying on the ground beside it. Really weird.
Hmm... maybe a bear feeding on bee larvae and honey? (or some other animals that doesn't mind a few bee stings...)

Tom

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 22nd, 2013, 7:19 pm

Thunder Thigh 3 wrote:Hey Kep' - nice photos and TR! It was fun to run into you guys up there - made my world smaller in a nice way. I think that larch is/was at its prime on Sunday. The huckleberries were also fun in the low evening light:

I lingered long at the Palisades - both coming and going. I could have basked there all day! I have a lot of the same pictures you do, but happened to be on my way out at the perfect time to catch Mt. Adams right at sunset:

I'm glad you finally got a chance to get out there!
Thanks, TT3! It was really cool meeting you, too. Loved that, "Allison Whoooo?" :lol: (I keep tellin' her, it's all her fault. ;) Although, that said, I owe a thanks to you too for putting this one on my radar early this summer!) You really stretched the day to its limits; I love it! That shot of Adams is excellent.
Splintercat wrote:Another great report, Karl - thanks for posting! :)
Hmm... maybe a bear feeding on bee larvae and honey? (or some other animals that doesn't mind a few bee stings...)
Thanks, Tom! Kam was leaning towards bear too, but there were really no claw marks at all. When I've seen bears dig into stuff, they really dig! Looked to me like the wasps had taken over someone else's hole (a big weasel, of some sort?), and the ground around the opening was barely disturbed. Did you notice that the comb I included a shot of had a wasp head sticking out of it? That made me wonder if someone had initiated chemical warfare on the nest. It was right on the edge of the trail. Hmmm, given the size of the opening, I suppose a bear could've just stuck his paw right in, and scooped out the goods? :)
Karl