Bird Mountain (Indian Heaven), 10/19/13: Fall is mostly DONE

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
adamschneider

Bird Mountain (Indian Heaven), 10/19/13: Fall is mostly DONE

Post by adamschneider » October 20th, 2013, 12:06 pm

Yesterday, I explored the north end of Indian Heaven Wilderness. I started west from Cultus Creek Campground, bushwhacked/ridgewhacked my way across Bird Mountain, bushwhacked down to Cultus Lake, then took normal trails south past Lemei Lake to Junction Lake, and took the PCT back north alongside Bird Mountain before finishing on the same trail I started out on. Here's an approximate map:
Bird Mountain loop map.jpg
(Click here for a better map.)

I don't have much time at the moment to post a full trip report, but I wanted to let people know a couple of important points:

1) There's a little bit of snow here and there in Indian Heaven (and quite a bit of ice, too, in shady spots, meaning the nighttime temperatures have been pretty damn cold), but nothing that will keep you off your favorite trails. There are plenty of dry campsites too.

2) The fall colors are well past peak. There are a few huckleberry leaves hanging on, but most of them are dull brown and lying on the ground. Obviously it's still a nice place to visit, but don't go there expecting fields of bright red and orange; you're a couple weeks too late for that.

3) The PCT on the west side of Bird Mountain is seriously boring; I don't recommend making it part of a loop! (In retrospect, I think it would have been better to exit the PCT just past Deer Lake, go east along the north side of Clear Lake, and then return to the trailhead on Trail #33 above Cultus Creek.)

Just a few photos for now:
Amanita.jpg
trail ice.jpg
Bird Mountain bushwhack.jpg
backlit huckleberries, Bird Pinnacles, Lemei Rock.jpg
Mt. Rainier and Sawtooth Mountain.jpg
Bird Mountain.jpg
big meadow.jpg
partridgefoot encased in ice.jpg
Junction Lake.jpg
Mt. Adams.jpg

romann

Re: Bird Mountain (Indian Heaven), 10/19/13: Fall is mostly

Post by romann » October 21st, 2013, 9:18 pm

Looks like a great trip - the right mix of trails and XC, some meadows, lakes, and views. Thanks for TR and beta on conditions - I might just head there while this weather holds.

adamschneider

Re: Bird Mountain (Indian Heaven), 10/19/13: Fall is mostly

Post by adamschneider » October 21st, 2013, 9:43 pm

romann wrote:Looks like a great trip - the right mix of trails and XC, some meadows, lakes, and views. Thanks for TR and beta on conditions - I might just head there while this weather holds.
Just be sure to modify it so you avoid the dull stretch of the PCT. :) A better route, in my opinion: