Little Huckleberry / Sleeping Beauty 15-Oct-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
VanMarmot

Little Huckleberry / Sleeping Beauty 15-Oct-2013

Post by VanMarmot » October 15th, 2013, 5:56 pm

I had this most bluebird of days off thanks, indirectly, to that circus back east formerly known as Congress . Mindful that I shouldn't be hiking too much with a busted wing, I settled on Little Huckleberry and its almost neighbor, Sleeping Beauty. Both promised short (but steep) hikes ending in great views. The drive to the TH was through forests glowing with brilliant Fall colors.

The trail is obvious and easy, which left time to observe the leaves just yearning to fall,

and touches of frost (no snow) up near the summit.

Views were as anticipated, of Adams,

Hood (obscured some by ag fires in Hood River),

Rainier, Sleeping Beauty (arrow), and Adams,

and the entire crest of Indian Heaven (R: Red Mtn, By: Berry Mtn, H: St. Helens, G: Gifford Pk, Bi: Bird Mtn, S: Sawtooth Mtn).

Then it was over to Sleeping Beauty on good gravel & paved roads, with clear signage. I hadn't climbed this one before and, while it's a short trail, it's a steep one. But soon the summit pinnacle hove into view,

followed shortly thereafter by a REALLY BIG view of Adams,

and one of St. Helens.

Then it was back to the TH through the colors of Fall.

Little Huckleberry (5 mi, 1,800' EG) and Sleeping Beauty (3 mi, 800' EG) - short and view-filled - great way to spend a sunny day :D Meanwhile, back at the circus... :roll:

Peder

Re: Little Huckleberry / Sleeping Beauty 15-Oct-2013

Post by Peder » October 16th, 2013, 6:34 am

VanMarmot wrote:I had this most bluebird of days off thanks, indirectly, to that circus back east formerly known as Congress .
That is putting it too politely!

Great TR and beautiful pictures. It is tough to be stuck indoors (for once!).
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…