MSH: Monitor Ridge, 13-Oct-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

MSH: Monitor Ridge, 13-Oct-2013

Post by kepPNW » October 14th, 2013, 4:37 pm

Inspired by Roman's most excellent trip report, a few of us couldn't resist the call of the summit. In particular as it seems that our contemptible Congress has completely abrogated its duties, and decided to let anarchy reign across the nation. So, maybe it was an act of civil disobedience, and maybe it was just an opportunity too good to resist. Or maybe both. ;) We were summit bound!

The forecast called for a high right around 32°F at the summit, with clearing clouds as the day progressed. As it turned out, the day started out clear (away from the Columbia) and clouds slowly enveloped the volcano as it progressed. So we didn't enjoy the 200-mile views possible on some days, but there was "a lot of drama in the air!" as backup entertainment. (It also meant survival sans sunscreen - bonus!)

Story of the day, racing clouds to the summit. We won.

Four of us started from the Climber's Bivouac trailhead about 8:45am. The first couple miles climb gently through the forest, to timberline. Didn't see the abundance of mushrooms that were out just a week ago a few miles from here. We did get a few nice views along the way, though.

Elsie, Bosterson, EP, and me. Having slept in, we're all ready to rock!

Clear start to the day. Mount Adams, 30-odd miles away.

This route seems harder in some ways, easier in other, than the Worm Flows route. Shorter, less climbing, but boulder-ier.

As we break out of the forest, we find more signs speaking directly to government inaction.

Eric seems to have something in his eye, and Bosterson's clearly looking the other way. Hmmmm...

Scaling the boulders was a task; one I didn't relish repeating with a gravity assist.

Although we were far from alone, the mountain never seemed crowded. Except right here, maybe.

Somehow, perhaps following the herd, we got slightly off the "trail" for awhile. Didn't matter. Target was in sight, and it was simply a matter of going up. And up. And up. :)

About 1.5 hours in, the clouds started making themselves a bit more known. It looked like we could climb out of them, though.

The race was on.

We didn't start running into appreciable snow until nearly 6000'.

At which point we got into a game of spikes-on/spikes-off, depending on terrain.

Bosterson never did use any traction at all, though. Dude sticks to mountains like velcro.

Climbing into the clouds. New trail friends from the parking lot below. (Orange skirt was visible at a distance!)

Just a nice shot. Summit in sight.

They said there were several of these monitoring stations, but this was the only one I noticed, here on Monitor Ridge.

Equipment adjustment. It was getting pretty cold at this point. No sun; plenty of wind.

Whoops, I lied. There's smore monitors!

Same equipment, five minutes later. Mountain's playing peekaboo!

Wave after angry wave of clouds washed over the ridge.

Looking down (can you tell?) was often far more intriguing than looking up. Dynamic skies!

Really cool little rime-laden passage through some lava boulders.

Oh! That's right! This is a Loonie Hike! Cue... Action!

At about 7000', we could start making out individuals on the summit. None of that silly false summit stuff here. Just lock-on target, and keep moving.

Snow was firm. Beware of deep holes between boulders, though!

Zoom on the final summit procession. It never really felt as steep as Worm Flows.

The sky show was non-stop!

We followed more exposed ridge in middle on ascent, and descended in deeper (knee-saving!) snow to left.

Another gratuitous sky shot. I couldn't stop marveling at it.

The typhoon remnants of two weeks ago seem to be fading fast, even at elevation.

You tell me, does that look like a "friendly" cloud?

As we approached the rim, I was surprised to see cornices that large this early in the season! Turned out, most of the rim was cornice-free.

700' to go (up) still, though it looks much closer than that!

Angry cloud. (We're winning the race, still!) See the little people?

Spotted that same crevasse in Swift Glacier that Roman had photographed.

Then noticed it's right on the Worms Flow (red) route! (According to Google Earth.)

We took a quick (wind free) lunch break at 7900', so we could just relish the summit once there.

EP realizing the end is very much in sight!

Oh yeah...

That pesky cornice again! Kids, don't crawl out on those things at home.

Mission accomplished! We'd beaten the clouds!

Try as they might, they simply couldn't catch up!

First to actually crest the summit!

First view upon looking north towards the crater, Spirit Lake, and Mount Rainier.

The lava dome was on fire yesterday! Holy cow, the steam was really spewing...

http://youtu.be/B2zsAMfYvHM

The jagged east wall of the crater is mesmerizing.

The scale of that lava dome is hard to comprehend, much less portray. It's taller than "Big Pink" in downtown Portland!

The shadow (from the rim) that encourages growth of Crater Glacier is quite obvious. As are its many crevasses.

Western edge of Crater Glacier which, once horseshoe-shaped, now completely encircles the lava dome.

Billowing steam from the lava dome.

Words fail me. Breathtaking cross-section of a composite volcano interior!

Pano from what I believe is the true summit. (GPS said 8285' here.) EDIT: It isn't actually the highest point, but close!

Zooming in on the pano above, here's the actual high point about 80' above me and a bit to my west.

A moment of self-indulgent stickpic-ery.

Major, enhanced by new (soon to de-lurk) trail friends, group shot!

Two new trail friends, Ted & Meg, on the true summit. We parked next to each other, and shadowed one another all day long.

Will these guys beat the clouds too? Dunno! It's time for us to head back down after 45 minutes up-top.

Those clouds! Again! Booo! Heh...

Into the abyss...

Halloween is upon us, but this climber shows no fear...

Wow...

At this point, the snow was getting pretty soft, and slipsliding was all too easy.

EP races ahead, hoping to get down in 2 hours. (Ended up taking nearly 3!)

Bosterson-style Yoga First Ascent! (One not likely to be repeated anytime soon, either!)

Below the clouds again, we see one of the reservoirs on the Clark-Cowlitz border.

Our route deviated on descent towards as much knee-saving snow as possible.

Finally, one last lava field, and we're back in the forest!

We found a USFS sign in disrepair. (I believe EP has more photos?) Bosterson kindly "stabilized" it.

The End.

Our tracks say we went nearly 9 miles, with about 4600' of EG. We considered doing a few laps around the parking lot to at least get in a respectable double-digit distance, but not for long. :)

Click map for full-sized image.

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=2832&w=645&h=440

Absolutely fabulous day to be high on a mountain! :D
Last edited by kepPNW on October 16th, 2013, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Elsie

Re: MSH: Monitor Ridge, 13-Oct-2013

Post by Elsie » October 14th, 2013, 5:38 pm

Great TR and a great hike! My first Helen's summit after several failed attempts over the years. Feels good!! Thanks for throwing the idea out there to Bosterson and EP and welcoming me along. Lurker, over and out. ;)

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » October 14th, 2013, 5:56 pm

Great trip up St. Helens! It was a lovely fall day, fun cloud formations, and good to get up there with snow this time. Karl's pics are great, so I'll just add a few of mine.

Karl on the way up below the snowline

rhimeland

almost to the top

Karl at the summit

I was told this pic was especially for Karl's wife

summit crowd

a little glissading on the way down

kepPNW wrote:Image
Bosterson-style Yoga
Actually Karl, I believe this was a technical first ascent, probably not going to be repeated anytime soon... :D
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Zia

Post by Zia » October 14th, 2013, 7:09 pm

Great TR! This is one of the trails I hope to accomplish someday.

awildman

Post by awildman » October 14th, 2013, 7:26 pm

kepPNW wrote: Image
We found a USFS sign in disrepair. (I believe EP has more photos?) Bosterson kindly "stabilized" it.
I was a little disappointed that Bosterson added red tape on a day that didn't actually have any. :)
Rambling on at Allison Outside

romann

Post by romann » October 14th, 2013, 8:57 pm

^^^
So that misleading sign was already down? :lol:

Congratulations on the summit - great trip report with a lot of action. Way to get the best from government shutdown :) . That's a lot more smoke on the lava dome than when I went 10 days ago. I like the shots of clouds ready to "swallow" tiny climbers - really dramatic.

This photo of E side of the crater is my favorite

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 14th, 2013, 10:01 pm

Elsie wrote:Great TR and a great hike! My first Helen's summit after several failed attempts over the years. Feels good!! Thanks for throwing the idea out there to Bosterson and EP and welcoming me along. Lurker, over and out. ;)
It was a pleasure!
Bosterson wrote:I was told this pic was especially for Karl's wife
I thought that'd look spookier. :twisted:
Bosterson wrote:Actually Karl, I believe this was a technical first ascent, probably not going to be repeated anytime soon... :D
Ahhh! Of course. So that means you need to come up with a name for it, right?!
Zia wrote:Great TR! This is one of the trails I hope to accomplish someday.
You probably will! I wanted to for over 30 years, and finally did just last February. There are plenty of hazards, to be sure; most of them mental. Paying attention, taking utmost care, and just putting one foot after another, can get you there (and back!). Hurrying hurts here. :)
awildman wrote:I was a little disappointed that Bosterson added red tape on a day that didn't actually have any. :)
*groan*

Ummm, well, it was deemed non-essential, see... And so it was used for good, rather than evil. Or, uhh, something like that.
romann wrote:^^^
So that misleading sign was already down? :lol:
It'd be safe to say it wasn't "in its full upright and locked position," yeah. I think Eric might have a photo of just how out of sorts it was. :)
romann wrote:Congratulations on the summit - great trip report with a lot of action. Way to get the best from government shutdown :) . That's a lot more smoke on the lava dome than when I went 10 days ago. I like the shots of clouds ready to "swallow" tiny climbers - really dramatic.

This photo of E side of the crater is my favorite
Thanks! That thing was definitely smokin' yesterday! Someone (Peder, maybe?) told me it's a function of the relative humidity, more than fluctuating output, which makes sense. A real treat, because the last time we were up there no one felt it safe to get close enough to the rim to even see the dome itself and it wasn't steaming at all that day either.

Those clouds were the star of the day. Today, it would've been those 200-mile views, which I wish the first-timers yesterday could've seen. But I totally enjoyed the aerial drama, myself. (And I might have to agree on that east wall shot, too! That angle has always captured me.)

Oh, meant to add this one to the original post...

And here's a 102-megapixel interactive Photosynth that you can zoom and scroll around in, made with Microsoft ICE.
http://photosynth.net/view/0e6569ac-0d3 ... 287684c914
Karl

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 15th, 2013, 12:10 am

kepPNW wrote:Pano from what I believe is the true summit. (GPS said 8285' here.)
Not quite; that's the highest point on the south rim, and the highest point you're "allowed" to visit. The true summit is a few hundred yards west of there, at about 8333' if you believe the topo maps.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 15th, 2013, 5:03 am

adamschneider wrote:
kepPNW wrote:Pano from what I believe is the true summit. (GPS said 8285' here.)
Not quite; that's the highest point on the south rim, and the highest point you're "allowed" to visit. The true summit is a few hundred yards west of there, at about 8333' if you believe the topo maps.
Yeah, I did wonder about that. Saw a couple other points which I couldn't be sure were higher or lower. There weren't any footprints beyond where I was, so I'm guessing no one else thought there was much difference, either. :)

(What's this "allowed" stuff?)
Karl

Peder

Post by Peder » October 15th, 2013, 5:45 am

kepPNW wrote:(What's this "allowed" stuff?)
Further west is where the snowmobiles are allowed on the crater rim - for you to wonder!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…