Whittier Ridge, Lakes Trail, & Mt. Margaret's twin - 10/6/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Re: Whittier Ridge, Lakes Trail, & Mt. Margaret's twin - 10/

Post by Roy » October 23rd, 2013, 8:55 pm

K.Wagner wrote:Adam,

Don't want to hijack your thread and turn this into a side discussion about what defines a "mountain", but from a "peak bagger's" point of view, since the saddle separating the 2 summits is more than 300 ft below either summit (in this case about 460 ft), they are listed separately, whether the maps label that way or not.

Your Mt Teragram (great naming logic there, by the way!) is not listed separately, because the saddle separating it from Mt Margaret is only about 240 ft, so Maggie gets the glory.
That is interesting and you answered something I have wondered about for many years. I think have scrambled up a least twice as many unnamed than named ones many much more of a challenge the named peak i went to visit.

I have also run into some peaks that name a couple summits, simply called north,south ect. Sometimes they appear no different than a ridge with no named peaks on them.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

K.Wagner

Re: Whittier Ridge, Lakes Trail, & Mt. Margaret's twin - 10/

Post by K.Wagner » October 24th, 2013, 6:40 am

Roy,

Last posting on this, but the naming & listing seems to me to be very arbitrary. Example, Breezy Point (a 3ft bump atop a cliff, a couple of miles W of the Lower Falls of the Lewis River) is named & listed on all the maps & peak bagger sites, I think because it seems to have had a fire tower on it years ago. Yet, Teragram, certainly a significant peak in Mt Margaret area, only about 10ft lower than Mt Margaret, and with 240+ feet of rise, isn't even acknowledged with an elevation number.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"