Butte Camp Dome Loop (MSH) with Interweb Friends - 10/4

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
awildman

Butte Camp Dome Loop (MSH) with Interweb Friends - 10/4

Post by awildman » October 5th, 2013, 8:29 am

I put out an invite for a hike yesterday and look who showed up!

The Portland Hikers band photo: Karl (kepNW) on lead guitar, Steve (jointhedance) on bass, Kam (pdxflowergirl) on drums. (Not featured: Jess (JessB), who would have been there if not for our late start and late end)

We did a fun 12-mile loop on the southwest side of Mt. St. Helens, starting at the Redrock Pass trailhead, ascending north up the Butte Camp Dome trail, and tromping through snow on the Loowit to the Loowit re-route (the snow coverage started at 4500' and got deeper as we ascended). From there, we did a short bushwhack south along the drainage to meet up with Trail 237 (Toutle Trail) and then floundered to find Trail 231 (Kalama Ski Trail) back to the trailhead. (The 231/237/238 trail intersection is confusing. The actual trails aren't expressed correctly on any of our four maps.)

the red route is my Google Earth-derived guess; the white route is the route we actually hiked

Though the Mt. St. Helens National Monument is officially "closed" at the moment, the winter gate at the Cougar Sno-Park is open, as is the road to the Climber's Bivouac. There are several road washouts on FR 8100 past the Climber's Bivouac junction, but they are easily navigated by high-clearance vehicles. Low-clearance vehicles might not make it through. But, if you brought a shovel, you might be able to make some minor road repairs that would make it passable.

I wanted to put a shout out to Ryan (PH lurker) and his dog, Porter, for their heroic act of exemplary hiker goodness. I left my DSLR camera on the bumper of my car and unknowingly drove off with it still there. Ryan, who was just finishing his hike in the area, found the camera on the forest service road and tracked us down to return it to me at the Lone Fir restaurant in Cougar. If he hadn't found it and found us, I wouldn't have realized that my camera was missing or that it was lying in the middle of the road at the trailhead until much later, a which point...sheesh, I don't even want to think about it. Thank you again, Ryan!!!

Steve examines the trailhead map, where Cougar, Pine Creek, and the summit of MSH have been shot out.

Mt. St. Helens looking spiffy in her nice new coat

Mt. Hood makes an appearance

the snow starts in earnest at 4,500'

early winter wonderland on the Loowit

Karl ascends to the Loowit

lunch on the Loowit

Kam's all-weather setup (Chacos, alpaca socks, Yaktrax)

Karl and Mt. Hood on the Loowit

setting up the "groupie", the plural of "selfie" (a mandated photo)

Steve and Karl on the Loowit

"To the bushwhack!"

and we're out!

turn left at the cactus snag

heading down the wrong trail

Boy, is Karl pissed about that.

recent debris flow from Stormpocalypse 2013

Karl stomps on some salamanders (Note: no salamanders were harmed taking this photo)

The mushrooms were out in force. This one we named "dog vomit" or vomittus caninus.

a lovely moss forest filled with mushrooms and fairies

a little glimpse of fall

a good day
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Peder

Re: Butte Camp Dome Loop (MSH) with Interweb Friends - 10/4

Post by Peder » October 5th, 2013, 9:06 am

awildman wrote: Image
Kam's all-weather setup (Chacos, alpaca socks, Yaktrax)

:( :( :( I was expecting to see Karl in baseball cap, shorts and flip-flops!

Great TR! I love the "spaced out band" opening photo, complete with dog! Looks like a memorable day out!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » October 5th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Great TR! Surprised at the snow level. We were on the other side of the mountain, up to Harry's Ridge. I would estimate the snow level on that side was around 5,400 ft (just the last few feet of Mt Margaret were white).

Hope cranky Karl didn't spoil the day for you when you ended up on the wrong trail! :roll:

How coincidental was that, that Ryan found your camera and was able to get it back to you in Cougar! Whew!! Way to go Ryan!
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 5th, 2013, 8:28 pm

K.Wagner wrote:We were on the other side of the mountain, up to Harry's Ridge. I would estimate the snow level on that side was around 5,400 ft (just the last few feet of Mt Margaret were white).
This is the best news I've heard all day. I'm headed up to Whittier tomorrow.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 5th, 2013, 11:18 pm

Excellent TR, Allison! And a most excellent hike. So glad you threw up the invitation. Perfect way to get back out on the trail again after waaaay too much idle time. :) The cover band shot was an instant classic. :lol:
awildman wrote:setting up the "groupie", the plural of "selfie" (a mandated photo)
Been on too many Loony hikes to not force the group together for one of these!

Doin' it Mayhem-style!

I think what stood out about this hike the most to me was the stunning array of fungus we ran across! I've certainly seen photos of many of these things before, but I had no sense at all of their size. Many were 5-10x bigger than I'd imagined. I'll just toss a few out here. They were really amazing, and it was hard not to take shot after shot of them...

Kam's hand, for scale. This was one of the first we ran into, and turned out to be about half the max size!

Another with a trekking pole for scale. I think that basket is about 2" in diameter.

This be where the fairies are...?

Seemed to be a sea creature of some sort.

Inside a hollow log (for Chase), another sea creature was lurking.

Definitely seen better days.

These reminded me of the 70s, but I'm told I was misremembering.

All these crouching-down photos is why I tend to take up the rear on so many hikes.

Wicked Witch of the West, RIP.

Hiking along with Oscar, Max, and Oliver was fun too. My old guy can't keep up anymore, but the energy of these three was just boundless. I'd love to hook a GPS up to one of them, someday, to see just how many more miles they do and what their average pace is. All three were just amazing, in just how little attention they required. They may have been long out of sight, but somehow they stayed within earshot and came at full gallop when called. (Which wasn't needed more than a few times anyway.)

The only spot along the way where a creek had decided to follow the trail. Kam was prepared!

Heading up along the side of Butte Camp Dome, towards the timberline.

Oliver's wondering what the heck's holding up the show, here!

Once on the Loowit, Oscar's just fine with the idea that this would be a good lunch spot.

Max and Oliver thought lunch-break meant it was time to wrassle!

But they soon returned to their dog-duty of smelling things to be sure exactly who had peed just where.

Amazingly, no one decided to take a buffet break during the bushwhack, as we crossed over this carcass.

This was my first time on the southwest flanks of MSH, so it offered a great chance to better envision an eventual circle tour. The degree of erosion in some of the drainages was something I'd seen in Google Earth, and others' photos, but it still was "all the more real" seeing it in person. The thought of climbing into and out of some of the ravines certainly gave pause!

Camera in one hand, poles in the other, Allison plunges down the rubble.

Honestly, how do you beat a day like this, after that ten-day typhoon we just went through?

Looking south, over Butte Camp Dome, towards Mt Hood and Mt Jefferson.

The snow at just under 5000' wasn't messy at all. Or very deep. It was ablating more than melting.

There was a bit more snow up high. This equipment was probably around 7500'?

The walk back through the forest, after the bushwhack down the drainage, was really pleasant. (Evil, lying signs aside. :lol:) We passed through several transitions in the dominant trees, saw lots more fungus, lovely moss-carpeted forest floors, and a few good debris flows from this last storm!
awildman wrote:Image
recent debris flow from Stormpocalypse 2013
Someone pointed out in "another forum" that the blue diamonds on this shot of Allison's are normally about 15' off the ground!

Is this corralroot? The bulbous things were hollow, like chinese lanterns, and the stalks about 3' high.

Well, enough already! It was just a wonderful day, with great new trail friends! So appreciate the invite being tossed out there, and getting the opportunity to meet and/or get to know all of you better. I had a blast.

And finally, another special shoutout to Ryan! I hope you read this. I gotta tell you, you really made a difference for someone yesterday! Watching her react to the miraculous return of the camera, you could just see the wheels spinning (for quite some time) on all the "what might've been" scenarios, the awe at how it did turn out, and the unbounded gratitude. That was a class act, man. I hope we cross trails again. :)

Edit: Added gpsfly of route, in case anyone would like the track.
http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=2814&w=645&h=440
Last edited by kepPNW on October 7th, 2013, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » October 6th, 2013, 3:37 am

Pinedrops, not coralroot.

(Yeah, I'm up at 4:40am. Here goes nothin'...)

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » October 6th, 2013, 6:24 am

adamschneider wrote:Pinedrops, not coralroot.

(Yeah, I'm up at 4:40am. Here goes nothin'...)
Ah, thanks! From the trail, it looked like coralroot, but as soon as I got up close (where the salamanders be) not so much.

Wish I had it in me to make another run up there today! Gotta do a quickie, then get back home to finish mowing. Can't wait to hear how that goes!
Peder wrote: :( :( :( I was expecting to see Karl in baseball cap, shorts and flip-flops!
I had the shorts and (fleece) baseball cap, but I save the flip-flops for warmer climes! ;)

Here's my idea of a flip-flopper hike! Honeymoon Bluff in the BWCA, on 9/10. (Canada is just two lakes over, to the right.)
K.Wagner wrote:Surprised at the snow level. We were on the other side of the mountain, up to Harry's Ridge. I would estimate the snow level on that side was around 5,400 ft (just the last few feet of Mt Margaret were white).
Bizarre. Mini-rainshadow?
K.Wagner wrote:Hope cranky Karl didn't spoil the day for you when you ended up on the wrong trail! :roll:
HA! That place was a vortex of silly trails. Garmin had used the same Forest Service trails as our map had, and the tracks from NWTopos were actually a bit less helpful. Turns out, we could've shwacked through a 300' alder thicket, but there was absolutely no way to know where we might've hit the trail we were actually aiming for. It was so dense, we could've paralleled the target trail for a long ways without ever realizing it was there! :lol:
capture.jpg
USFS trail "system"
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Archer the Marcher

Post by Archer the Marcher » October 6th, 2013, 7:08 am

Archie and I were up there yesterday (10/5) and had a delightful walk. We left from Blue Lake Trail head which is a lot easier on my whip than the road to CB. Had a laugh when we got to the trail head to find a barricade about 1/10 of a mile from the lot. Government shut down? Nope, turns out last weekends rain moved a bunch of rocks and sediment into the lot. The debris seemed to be maybe 2 feet deep in some spots but it was all solid. That poor trail head seems to be moving down the road rain event by rain event.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » October 6th, 2013, 7:20 am

Nice report and pictures! It was a super nice day on Friday.

That's nuts about the inaccuracy of the maps for that spot. Could you submit your .gpx file to the folks at NW Topos so they can update their product?
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

jessbee

Post by jessbee » October 6th, 2013, 5:33 pm

Bummer I couldn't make it. Looks like you all had a great trip! Nice photos :)
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos