Klickitat Trail - Swale Canyon and Wahkiacus: 9-28-13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Klickitat Trail - Swale Canyon and Wahkiacus: 9-28-13

Post by Sean Thomas » September 30th, 2013, 8:23 pm

Jojo and I headed out to Swale Creek and the Klickitat River this past weekend hoping to avoid some of the buckets of rain that soaked the city and mountains. It was a great day with tons of things to see and do out in the range land near Swale Creek:

Before leaving the house little Bert poked his head out from the covers to say goodbye:

On the way to the TH I realized I had forgot my hat so when we stopped at the market in Lyle I picked one up. There were some hilarious(and offensive) caps to choose from with the fronts of the hats reading "Border Patrol" "Buck Hunter" or "I Love Jesus". Complete with a camo backdrop and a Bull Elk on the front brim 8-) :roll: :lol: I thought this one was the best, hiking is an "outdoor sport" right? :D

After many jokes about how my large melon didn't fit into the hat very well anyway we trudged on our way to the TH off Harms Road:

The Centerville Turkeys were running about a little ways before the TH:

I always have to wonder what the folks from the Spokane, Portland and Seattle Railroad who built the line 110 years ago would have thought if they'd known the line were to become a rail trail 90+ years after it was established. But so goes history and now the 31 mile trail treats hikers and mountain bikers a like to a great tour of Swale Creek and the Klickitat River as it makes its way up towards Goldendale. The trail takes off upriver for 10 or 11 miles from the town of Lyle, Washington before it splits off into the remote beauty of Swale Canyon. Up towards the Harms road side the creek was barely a trickle:

There were holes drilled in the creek bed near one of the railroad bridges:

Cant forget the area near the shrine:

The Sagebrush that lines the old railroad grade was blooming and a few pollinators were hard at work:

We had never been here in fall before so it was cool to see it in bloom:

Ponderosa Pines and Acorns too:

We hiked about 5 miles from the Harms Road TH and much of the creek was still pretty dry, but incredibly beautiful too:

Pano of the creek with Jojo in upper middle for scale;

A little further down stream we encountered some of what I think are those invasive New Zealand Mud Snails :(

And a Craw daddy claw with lots of them swimming around:

Some of the trail art along the way:

After a nice lunch under a large pine tree we hiked back up the Canyon toward the TH:

You have to walk through a few cattle gates as you near Harms Road:

Another TH pano:

After the hike on Swale Creek we decided to explore the back roads of the range land a little bit and head through the tiny town of Centerville. From Centerville we backtracked a bit and then headed north toward hwy 142 crossing over the Little Klickitat River:

Onto hwy 142 and we took a quick stop off at the Wahkiacus TH and headed up the canyon to the spot we turred around at last year. There were lots of fishermen on the river but once we took off up the canyon a little ways we didn't see a soul:

After the short little add-on hike we drove back to Lyle via hwy 142 and crossed the Columbia back over to Oregon at Hood River. I-84 driving back was crazy with the stormy weather and we opted to take the old highway a few times to go at a slower pace. Not sure that was a good idea as there were car sized limbs falling from the trees as we made our way from Ainsworth to Angels Rest :? A quick stop at home and then it was back out to a warm pub and some good food after another awesome day on the trails :)

backcracker

Re: Klickitat Trail - Swale Canyon and Wahkiacus: 9-28-13

Post by backcracker » October 2nd, 2013, 11:34 am

I believe what you identified as sagebrush is actually gray rabbitbrush. There is a green variety also. They both bloom in the fall. Nice pictures.

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » October 2nd, 2013, 6:08 pm

Sean,

Another great report. Have not done any part of that trail. Somehow the prospect of walking all that course rock in the old RR bed just doesn't appeal to us. Loved the pictures though, and maybe that'll be enough to get us out there.

When you were driving towards Centerville, did you happen to see the kiosk on the N side of the road, (as I recall, just east of where the Centerville Hwy crosses Swale Creek) that had info about the old military wagon road that came up from The Dalles? Was used to supply the forts during the Yakama uprising. On the hills to the south, you can still see the ruts coming straight down the hillside. Standing there, I could literally see (in my mind of course) wagon & stages coming down that hill! Was kinda an odd feeling, as though there were phantom wagons still traveling through, and we might catch a shadowy image of one.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » October 2nd, 2013, 11:17 pm

Oops, thanks for the correct id backcracker. It was definitely cool to see it blooming like that :)

The rock isn't too bad in most places but it can get tiresome after a while. We didn't stop at the kiosk but there was a large silo we drove by that was pretty cool.

Easyrider

Post by Easyrider » October 14th, 2013, 1:07 pm

We do this one several times a year. It's a treat to be in a dry location when it's pouring buckets in Portland. There are usually very few people here, especially on weekdays. We really enjoy Swale Canyon during the dead of Winter when many Gorge locations are inaccessible due to deep snow.

The Klickitat Trail Conservatory is having their annal Fall Swale Canyon hike event on 10/26/13. This includes a car shuttle which is REALLY helpful since the round trip hike is too long for most.

http://www.theoriginaleasyrider.com/swale_2013b.htm
Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from surviving bad judgment. ~Rita Mae Brown