Eagle Cap Wilderness: Arrow Cache Pop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
backcracker

Re: Eagle Cap Wilderness: Arrow Cache Pop

Post by backcracker » September 22nd, 2013, 9:40 am

I've been trying to find a report on Pop Lake. So thank you. Pop lake looks to be a salubrious destination. I was descending Eagle creek trail on Sunday morning the 8th and am pretty sure I crossed paths with the 3 elderly fishermen you encountered. They were headed up Eagle creek and I distinctly remember them because they were each externally packing an archaic aluminum folding patio chair. It was a sight.

Thanks for a great report.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » September 22nd, 2013, 7:54 pm

Woo hoo! I had hoped that someone would see my mention of Pop Lake from my August visit to Cached Lake and be tempted to go find it. Even though I didn't get to visit Pop myself, my curiosity about the trail to get there and the lake itself is now much more satisfed. :D Glad you made it there and had good weather. Looks like a beautiful spot!

greglief

Post by greglief » September 23rd, 2013, 8:09 am

Pop Lake! Well done! Perhaps JP and I should have investigated when we were at Cached Lake last month. I particularly enjoyed your overhead shot of the entire lake. Also, the photo corners were a wonderful touch. ;)
Greg Lief
OregonWildflowers.org - locations, trip reports, user forum, et cetera
Greg's Back

malheur

Post by malheur » July 23rd, 2014, 6:36 pm

TwoPaw, Your trip report inspired me to take a group of hikers into Pop Lake last weekend, and it was well worth the effort. We base camped at Cached Lake and day hiked into Pop Lake. The USFS raster map was useless, except for showing the location of the trail on the saddle between Cached Lake and Pop Lake. A beautiful lake. Afterwards a couple of us took in the view from the summit of Needle Point, also well worth the effort.

By the way, someone (USFS or volunteers?) hauled all the junk shown in your photo out of Pop Lake and put it by the trail next to Cached Lake, with an official-looking printed postcard requesting campers to haul it out. We saw a similar bundle of junk, including a huge rusted firepit rack, next to the Trail Creek trail a couple of miles away. The same kind of postcard was attached to it. The junk is too heavy for backpackers to haul. It is a job for horsepackers who can carry some extra weight.

TwoPaw

Post by TwoPaw » July 24th, 2014, 8:21 am

malheur - good to hear these heavier discards are at last making their exit from Eagle Cap - thanks for the follow-up post.

Peder

Post by Peder » July 25th, 2014, 8:23 am

TwoPaw - This "bump"of your post allowed me to reread it! Just as entertaining and wonderful the second time around. Thank you!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

weathercrazy

Post by weathercrazy » July 26th, 2014, 8:23 pm

Similar to others, just found this from last year...great read, glad it has resurfaced!