Gnarl Ridge and the Bandit Boulder 8/8

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Rabid Swan

Gnarl Ridge and the Bandit Boulder 8/8

Post by Rabid Swan » August 21st, 2013, 10:08 am

I'm behind on TRs so I'll just catch up with a few quick posts. I parked at Hood River Meadows and ventured up to Gnarl Ridge with a friend on 8/8. We got a nice late start at about 11 to get up high and enjoy the sunset while still above the timberline. I generally don't enjoy the hike back to the car as my body is on autopilot and my mind is fixating on fresh cooked foods and a shower at home. So I've made it a habit to stick around the high point of my hike to soak up a beautiful sunset and use a headlamp for the return trip.

Shortly after the TT turns off gnarl ridge we hopped off the trail and made our way straight up towards the Newton-Clark Glacier. It was a surprisingly stable hike for hood standards up to where the giant boulder rests at the foot of the glacier. The clouds were trying to smother the summit throughout the day, but the sun eventually punched its way through for some spectacular views.

After lounging around and taking a nap we made our way over to the boulder. I remember reading on this site about the huge slide that recently relocated the boulder (2001?) and wanted to check it out. I don't think these pictures can even show just how massive the boulder is. For reference I'm 6'2"

After bouldering around for a bit we eventually found a way to get on top. It's an overhanging climb on every side, but there is one spot where a boost can get you up on a ledge where it's an easy scramble to the top. I do not recommend climbing this boulder as getting down proved to be much scarier than going up. We quickly jumped to the conclusion that we made a first ascent so when we made it back to our packs for a victory toast we decided to name it Bandit Boulder after our cheap carton of wine.

Peder

Re: Gnarl Ridge and the Bandit Boulder 8/8

Post by Peder » August 21st, 2013, 10:13 am

Congratulations on the first ascent of Bandit Boulder!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Splintercat

Re: Gnarl Ridge and the Bandit Boulder 8/8

Post by Splintercat » August 21st, 2013, 11:56 am

I do not recommend climbing this boulder as getting down proved to be much scarier than going up. We quickly jumped to the conclusion that we made a first ascent so when we made it back to our packs for a victory toast we decided to name it Bandit Boulder after our cheap carton of wine.
Priceless! :lol: :lol: :lol:

(and glad that you made it down safely, too!)

That's a really cool piece (literally) of recent geology -- nice to finally see it in proportion to a human being!

Tom :)