Mt. Adams - South Climb TH to Hellroaring & Iceberg Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BeaverDawg

Re: Mt. Adams - South Climb TH to Hellroaring & Iceberg Lake

Post by BeaverDawg » August 14th, 2013, 11:36 am

We did the same semi loop trip a few weeks ago, but only to Hellroaring viewpoint and back. It was THE BEST flower display we have ever seen. Truly amazing. All those creeks flowing into the Bird Creek Meadows area are spring fed so they run cold and clear. We'll have to venture to the lake sometime we feel extra adventurous.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 14th, 2013, 11:46 am

zombie wrote:I would love to attach GPS tracks to my trail reports, however I have no idea how to! I currently upload all my tracks to TOPO, but they aren't saved as .gpx anywhere that I can find. I have thought of using GPSfly, however I don't know how to get the tracks from my device to the site...my computer doesn't recognize my handheld as a drive when it is connected.
Hmmm, how do you get it into TOPO? I've only done that with GPX files I've already exported out of Basecamp. Is it a Garmin GPS? If so, you definitely should get that free utility! Once it's saved as a GPX file, it's simple to upload to here or gpsfly or anywhere. (Doesn't TOPO offer an export option, too?)
zombie wrote:Here is a screen grab from TOPO that at least shows the location...the lake is clearly there on the NatGeo maps...just not my loaded Garmin ones.
Tough to tell, for sure, but I'm guessing it's approximately N46.16984 W121.46290??? Ahh, yes! Should've looked in TOPO first.
BeaverDawg wrote:... to Hellroaring viewpoint and back. It was THE BEST flower display we have ever seen. Truly amazing.
Pretty sure I got both Iceberg Lake, and the Hellroaring Viewpoint too, on this map?
capture.jpg
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Water

Post by Water » August 14th, 2013, 12:03 pm

great hike, thanks for sharing!

I'm always pretty regaled by the placenames on the East Side of Adams.... Ridge of Wonders is one of my favorite names -- I'll have to get there some day. Also I think there is something called the Battlement or The General--I forget the exact details--do believe a summit register was placed atop it many years ago--have only found one report of someone going up it (technical climbing).
Feel Free to Feel Free

zombie

Post by zombie » August 14th, 2013, 10:10 pm

retired jerry wrote:You can attach a gpx file just like attaching a picture. Someone would have to download it to a gpx viewing tool.

Thanks Jerry! I'll give this a try for sure.

Aaron

zombie

Post by zombie » August 14th, 2013, 10:12 pm

kepPNW wrote: Pretty sure I got both Iceberg Lake, and the Hellroaring Viewpoint too, on this map?
Those both appear to be correct! I want to hit Iceberg Lake again soon and head up to Sunrise Camp as well.
Aaron

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 10th, 2014, 9:07 am

Peder wrote:Great TR Zombie! That is a cool exploration and you seemed pretty determined to find that Iceberg Lake! What a great day out! I wonder why Karl needs a GPS track? I guess he does not wish for the excitement of searching for Iceberg Lake! :lol:
The excitement was with me, regardless! I'm not sure a track would help much with this one. I took different routes up and down on Friday, and can't say either were "optimal." But it is pretty much exactly as/where described! What a jewel.

Thanks, again, Zombie! Your map took me right there. So glad I bookmarked this one! :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Roy

Post by Roy » August 10th, 2014, 12:25 pm

Water wrote:great hike, thanks for sharing!

I'm always pretty regaled by the placenames on the East Side of Adams.... Ridge of Wonders is one of my favorite names -- I'll have to get there some day. Also I think there is something called the Battlement or The General--I forget the exact details--do believe a summit register was placed atop it many years ago--have only found one report of someone going up it (technical climbing).
I believe you are talking about The Castle a prominent feature on the East side. The ashes of CE Rusk are on top of it in a memorial cairn. Rusk his Mother and Sister were the first people known to have circled the mountain. He is responsible for most of the names on the East side The ridge of Wonders, Battlement ridge and of course the Castle. And he was the first to ascend the mountain on the East side via the Castle.

The man was a true pioneer in early NW mountaineering and his book Tails of a Western Mountaineer is a good read. I highly recommend reading it and retracting some of his routes. I have the east side is a jem.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 10th, 2014, 1:25 pm

Great trip report. Although I want to add that on 8/10/2014 the road was much worse than ever. I think it is worth mentioning that the road is not in great condition and if one is not comfortable driving on not well maintained roads, especially with a low clearance vehicle, it is worth thinking twice about going up there. It is doable but just be certain your vehicle can handle it.
Last edited by Waffle Stomper on August 11th, 2014, 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

drm

Post by drm » August 10th, 2014, 5:26 pm

I agree that the best of Bird Creek Meadows are those meadows generally above Crooked Creek Falls, near where that trail heads down. Those meandering brooks make for many luscious meadows. But surprisingly few people head over there, tending to go straight for the viewpoint, even though a 4 mile loop takes in this area.

From that glacial lake, you can continue mainly across and a little bit up towards Sunrise Camp at 8000 feet about where the Ridge of Wonders meets the mountain.

As to the fires, the two fires had some overlap. Both burned in the vicinity of the South Climb trailhead. But the more recent Cascade Creek Fire mainly burned west of there. The easternmost burned areas (and any burn east of Aiken Lava Bed) are from the earlier Cold Springs fire in 2008.

Herbie

Post by Herbie » August 14th, 2014, 1:16 pm

Beautiful pictures! Your post has inspired us to do the same hike next week:) Can I ask, are there other permits required other than a wilderness pass? And, rather than a day hike, spending at least one night, where would you recommend camping? Thanks for the TR!