Mt. Adams - South Climb TH to Hellroaring & Iceberg Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Re: Mt. Adams - South Climb TH to Hellroaring & Iceberg Lake

Post by kepPNW » August 14th, 2014, 2:07 pm

Herbie wrote:Beautiful pictures! Your post has inspired us to do the same hike next week:) Can I ask, are there other permits required other than a wilderness pass? And, rather than a day hike, spending at least one night, where would you recommend camping? Thanks for the TR!
Note the original TR is over a year old, and the original poster hasn't been around in a few months. That said, I did the same hike last Friday, and it was truly marvelous. Happy to answer any questions I can. Be aware, the road from Trout Lake to the trailhead is a beast. Very slow going for 45 minutes or so.

The wilderness permit is free, and you can get it at the trailhead. Rangers in Trout Lake advised me to carry cash, in case I ran into any tribal rangers on the reservation. Apparently, there's another ($5) permit needed to be there. I never had reason to find out more on that, thankfully. Didn't notice any campsites on the reservation, and that's surely the nicest part of the trail. (Hopefully, someone else can offer some guidance on policy there?) There were a campsite or two on the US side of the border, though. None with water. One with a nice view was here: N46.14885° W121.46812°
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

drm

Post by drm » August 14th, 2014, 3:18 pm

Backpack camping is not allowed on most of the reservation, except for Sunrise Camp and Avalanche Canyon, neither of which are close to this route. So the last place to camp is just before you cross the Forest Service / reservation boundary. I found a spot near there just a little ways above the main trail a couple of years ago after going up the Snipes Trail (which apparently now is pretty nasty due to fire-caused logs on the trail). Some creeks in the area.

So this is really not a very good backpack route unless you want a short backpack with a longer dayhike from camp.

drm

Post by drm » August 14th, 2014, 4:11 pm

Roy wrote:
Water wrote:I'm always pretty regaled by the placenames on the East Side of Adams.... Ridge of Wonders is one of my favorite names -- I'll have to get there some day. Also I think there is something called the Battlement or The General--I forget the exact details--do believe a summit register was placed atop it many years ago--have only found one report of someone going up it (technical climbing).
I believe you are talking about The Castle a prominent feature on the East side. . .
Battlement Ridge leads up to The Castle.

Herbie

Post by Herbie » August 19th, 2014, 3:33 pm

Thanks for the info Karl and drm. I did indeed overlook the date of the original post, but still want to do the hike. Now my concern would be the current condition of the road, and if my Subaru sedan would handle the beating! No problem going slow and dodging potholes, but she's kind of a low rider. Your thoughts?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 19th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Herbie wrote:Now my concern would be the current condition of the road, and if my Subaru sedan would handle the beating! No problem going slow and dodging potholes, but she's kind of a low rider. Your thoughts?
There were others like that up there. I went in a Jeep this time. Rode in a Subaru last summer. It's not a fun road. Watch out for water bars hidden by shadows.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » August 20th, 2014, 7:36 am

Herbie wrote:Thanks for the info Karl and drm. I did indeed overlook the date of the original post, but still want to do the hike. Now my concern would be the current condition of the road, and if my Subaru sedan would handle the beating! No problem going slow and dodging potholes, but she's kind of a low rider. Your thoughts?
I did the road this year with my Subaru Outback, it is doable, but like Karl said, it is not fun. I'm not sure I'd take the sedan up, because it is lower than the Outback.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

Herbie

Post by Herbie » August 20th, 2014, 8:54 am

Waffle Stomper wrote:
Herbie wrote:Thanks for the info Karl and drm. I did indeed overlook the date of the original post, but still want to do the hike. Now my concern would be the current condition of the road, and if my Subaru sedan would handle the beating! No problem going slow and dodging potholes, but she's kind of a low rider. Your thoughts?
I did the road this year with my Subaru Outback, it is doable, but like Karl said, it is not fun. I'm not sure I'd take the sedan up, because it is lower than the Outback.
Bummer, I think I will have to pass on traveling this road:(

derwoodynck

Post by derwoodynck » August 20th, 2014, 12:16 pm

Herbie - We drove up there this past Sunday in a Rav4 and just took the last couple of miles slow (real slow in places) but as long as you don't try and go speeding along you'd be okay. There were all kinds of vehicles at the trailhead for the South Climb Trail. The hike was worth the drive in my opinion.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » August 20th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Hey Zombie, great TR (even if it's a year ago). good job! I love Adams. looking forward to doing it again after a snow or two.

I think we met near the top of Chinidere 8 weeks back right? Obera and I hiked in from Herman creek and I proposed up there. She said yes :) (thank god, i was a nervous wreck)

Herbie

Post by Herbie » August 20th, 2014, 3:55 pm

derwoodynck wrote:Herbie - We drove up there this past Sunday in a Rav4 and just took the last couple of miles slow (real slow in places) but as long as you don't try and go speeding along you'd be okay. There were all kinds of vehicles at the trailhead for the South Climb Trail. The hike was worth the drive in my opinion.
Awesome, thanks for your input! It really looks like it would be worth the effort.