8/9/13 Coldwater Lake Loop Hike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mileagemike25000

8/9/13 Coldwater Lake Loop Hike

Post by mileagemike25000 » August 12th, 2013, 6:55 pm

We've been to the Coldwater Lake area a few times, but were never able to complete the loop due to snow or heavy stream flow. This time we succeeded in completing the entire loop hike! :D We started out at the Coldwater Ridge TH, as we decided to go in the CCW direction, for no real reason. :? We later found out that this got the tough part of the loop (elevation gain/loss) completed early. However, the elevation gain/loss on this trail really isn't bad.
1 Coldwater Ridge TH_(1).JPG
We found quite a few piles of what looked like bear scat all along the trail. Were we following a trail, or was the bear leading us to it's favorite dinner spot? :lol:
2 Were we following a trail or piles of bear scat_(1).JPG
We climbed the ridge very quickly, and immediately got excellent views looking south of the ridge,
3 We climbed up the ridge quickly_(1).JPG
and north towards Coldwater Lake!
4 1st good view of Coldwater Lake_(1).JPG
Stopping to take a quick picture of the old surviving logging equipment from the 1980 eruption,
5 Surviving logging equipment from eruption_(1).JPG
we continued on up the ridge and admired the ever more picturesque Mt. Margaret Backcountry! :)
6 Awesome views from the ridge!_(1).JPG
Being a Friday, we saw only a few groups of people the entire day :D , but everyone we met was very nice and talkative.

We soon reached the intersection that led to the Boundary Trail, but only stopped to log its location.
8 Trail intersection - leads to Boundary Trail_(1).JPG
From this point on the trail descended all the way to the bridge crossing the creek. There were many switchbacks leading down to the bridge, and still plenty of flowers for those that need that extra splash of color! :o Just note that the switchbacks had plenty of tall grasses and tripping hazards. :(
10 Still plenty of flowers on switchback down to bridge_(1).JPG
And after about 5 miles of hiking, we finally reached the Awesome bridge crossing the creek! :D
11 Amazing bridge over creek feeding lake!_(1).JPG
The creek is just as beautiful!
12 And gorgeous creek!_(1).JPG
Just past the bridge is another intersection that leads to the Mt. Whittier trail. This will be saved for another day! :x
13 Trail intersection to Mt. Whittier_(1).JPG
The trail on the north side of Coldwater Lake offers some of the most spectacular views, and I just couldn't include all of them. Here is a taste of just a few.
15 So many awesome views!_(1).JPG
16 Breathtaking_(1).JPG
17 The scenery here is nothing short of Perfection!_(1).JPG
There were also a dozen or more stream crossings that were all very easy. There is a large stream that is normally difficult to cross, but it was completely dry! Sorry, but there isn't any more room for the picture. For those interested, I should also mention that there is a bit of exposure on the north side trail, and wouldn't recommend it for young children.

We connected the Coldwater Lake TH to the Coldwater Ridge TH by walking on the road. There didn't seem to be any other way to connect! :x The road walk is about 1-1/2 miles long. :roll: I can't recommend this hike enough, but remember that seasonal conditions can make circumnavigating the lake much more challenging.

The hike was 11.9 miles with an elevation gain of about 2000ft.
Coldwater Lake Loop Hike.JPG

kepPNW

Re: 8/9/13 Coldwater Lake Loop Hike

Post by kepPNW » August 12th, 2013, 9:27 pm

Yes, that's a *great* hike! I agree you picked the better direction to loop. Highly endorse your recommend! :)

But I just can't believe that waterfall is dry! Here it is, just two months ago (6/22/13):

And when I was up there last November, it was flowing pretty strongly then, too (11/2/12):

I thought it was spring fed, given how steady it always seemed to be. I'll be darned!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Peder

Post by Peder » August 12th, 2013, 9:38 pm

mileagemike25000 wrote:I can't recommend this hike enough
Yes Mike, it is a superb area! The impact of the 1980 eruption, such as throwing logging equipment around and creating the Coldwater Lake is mindboggling. I am still impressed every time I go!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 12th, 2013, 11:00 pm

Nice report Mike. Someday I'd like to do the loop around Coldwater Lake. I still haven't done any hikes that close to MSH yet.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » August 13th, 2013, 5:09 pm

Thanks Karl! It really amazed me that there was water on every single smaller stream along the way, but NOTHING in that waterfall region! :shock: Here's a few pictures to look over.
Waterfall area 1_(1).JPG
Waterfall area 2_(1).JPG
Waterfall area 3_(1).JPG

Peder - It sounds like you're a big fan of this area too! :D I didn't know that Coldwater Lake was created during the eruption, but then I never investigated the changes :oops: to the region after the eruption.

Thanks Jim. :) It's just under a two hour drive from our house in Vancouver, but it would be quite a bit longer drive for you. It's definitely worth the long drive, and you could add significant miles (to make it more worthwhile for the longer drive) by taking one of the two trail intersections towards the Boundary or Mt. Whittier trails?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 13th, 2013, 6:23 pm

Absolutely amazing. I still can't believe that gully's dry. Thanks for the new photos!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Roy

Post by Roy » August 14th, 2013, 4:26 am

Thanks for sharing I love that hike Its harder than one thinks the terrain changes more in 12 miles than I've ever seen.That knee must be doing pretty good, wish I could say the same I'm grounded and its the best time of year.

Thank you always enjoy your trs .
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » August 14th, 2013, 7:50 pm

Roy - Thanks for the kind words! :) I do agree that this hike is more difficult than it would appear. The terrain in combination with the scree can be a bit of a challenge, and for some reason it affected my ankles more than the knees. :? For some reason though, I find the 1-1/2 miles on the road to be the harshest on the feet! :shock:

The knees aren't doing too badly, and certainly not restricting the hiking distance too much. However, I'm still not comfortable with large (2500ft+) elevation gains for a single hike. Although, I did take the Big Hollow trail up to Observation Peak, a few weeks ago, and it wasn't too bad. It's still prudent to increase the elevation at a slow and steady pace! There's always some health issue going on though. The Sandy Ridge trail left me with ankle issues, and the back pain comes and goes. I can say with complete confidence that Aging is a B-tch. :roll:

I'm very sorry to hear that you're grounded. I've been reading, and enjoying, your TR's, and you seemed to be getting out on the trail quite a bit! You did mention having a cortisone shot, I believe before the Norway Pass to Mt. Margaret hike, and it was helping significantly. It appeared you were making great progress? I really wish you the best and hope you're able to turn things around quickly. :)

Take care!

Mike