A McKenzie kind of Monday 8/12

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pdxgene

A McKenzie kind of Monday 8/12

Post by pdxgene » August 12th, 2013, 6:06 pm

Off for a solo journey today as I was either leaving too early, going too far or not paying attention to the tstorms in the forecast (20% yes means 80% no to me, it's just how they word it..). My general reaction to all that was just pffft... As I passed by Detroit Lake with the windshield wipers still on and the heater too I was starting to wonder ( have faith... have faith...). Sure enough I broke out of the cloud cover just across the Linn County line bythe Whitewater turn for Jeff Park and it was nothing but sunshine and butterflys the rest of the day. Though Ranger Steve did say they got absolutely hammered Saturday night for me that meant dust free trails. The loop around Clear Lake is 5.5 miles and the loop around the waterfalls is 2.8. More or less another half mile piece of the McKenzie River Trail connects them for more of a flattened figure 8 of about 9 to 10 miles. Elevation gain is a few rolling hills. 600 feet total according to Sullivan's Central Oregon book. Photo descriptions are here http://picasaweb.google.com/pdxgene/ClearLake10 This is about my 12th hiking day so far this year in the Santiam Triangle (126-242-22). That's probably more than my Mt Hood hikes. But that's a good thing. The pics from an absolutely glorious day....
A couple notes.. I never had noticed the little trail down to the front of Sahalie Falls before. but once you get to close there's no way to keep the lens dry enough to get off a good picture.
And the plane going thru the clouds.. I didn't even know it was there until I got home and looked thru the pictures. I was just trying for the swirly clouds. Oh well... :)

kelkev

Re: A McKenzie kind of Monday 8/12

Post by kelkev » August 12th, 2013, 6:13 pm

Great stuff, Gene! I have a large soft spot in my heart for Clear Lake and the McKenzie River.....I grew up camping a lot there with my family, such a beautiful place. I fished at Carmen Reservoir a couple of weekends ago with my dad, tons of Osprey working the water. Even caught some trout! Planning a night or two with my wife later this month back at Clear Lake if all works out schedule wise, and will definitely do the loop you did.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 12th, 2013, 6:30 pm

Hey, thanx Kevin. I'll probably go back and spend the night after labor day and before basketball season. Get the full fall colors and lose most of the people. Though I saw hardly anyone on the hike. I finished up hiking at 1p so if I hadn't planned on a couple hours of kayaking it probably would have been pretty easy to add on the xtra three mile stretch down to Tamolitch Pool.
And it's really not as far as it might seem. For me, from Tigard, it's 35 miles more than Lost Lake or Olallie Lake but since it's all freeway the time difference is maybe an xtra fifteen minutes at the most.

Ums

Post by Ums » August 17th, 2013, 11:21 pm

Great report. It was a McKenzie kind of day. I ended up there last Monday as well - did the waterfall trail loop and then went on to Proxy falls. Loved the pool right before the bridge on waterfall trail - your 7th pic.

Here is my attempt at capturing the water in motion. :)

donaleen

Post by donaleen » August 19th, 2013, 1:27 pm

Those are GREAT photos! Makes me wanna go there again so bad.

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 19th, 2013, 5:01 pm

donaleen wrote:Those are GREAT photos! Makes me wanna go there again so bad.
Thanx! Go on a weekday if you can, you'll enjoy a lot of solitude that probably doesn't exist on weekends. I want to get back for fall colors in a month or so.

That's a really cool photo Ums added on. I take long enough shooting pictures as it is so I shoot on auto and I'd need it to be really dark to get those..

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 21st, 2013, 9:41 pm

Thanx :)

Roy

Post by Roy » August 21st, 2013, 10:24 pm

Nice stuff makes me wana call in sick tomorrow. Did you not upgrade your camera recently? I am over do I like your photos much better than mine. What are you using very interested.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

pdxgene

Post by pdxgene » August 22nd, 2013, 4:35 am

Roy wrote:Nice stuff makes me wana call in sick tomorrow. Did you not upgrade your camera recently? I am over do I like your photos much better than mine. What are you using very interested.
Thanx Roy. Back in the spring I updated my camera to the then new Pentax K-30. The main feature I bought it for was weatherproofness (but it has much higher megapixel count too) and I did do an entire hike at Silver Falls with it out in the rain the whole time and it performed just fine. It has a really nice set of scene settings and the forest one works really well at bringing out the colors in forests and meadows. I never did much after the trip editing in the past and I do almost none now. Most of the reviews I have read rate it very high for still photography but not as good for video but I don't really shoot video (at least not yet) so that wasn't a factor in my decision to get it. Needless to say, I really like it.