8.8.13 Plains 100 Training & Gorge Recon = Defiance X 2

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
mayhem

Post by mayhem » August 11th, 2013, 12:39 pm

Last year I PM'd Joerunner because I heard he was training with a 2 X Defiance hike /run . It ended up being a great day & very challenging
http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=12928

We agreed to do it again this year 8.8.13.
Joerunner & I planned to go up Starvation down the back side of Defiance & then head our separate ways potentially meeting up later for the Defiance descent. We went our separate ways @ the Bear lake parking lot. Joe's route = Down Wyeth then back up Wyeth to the Defiance trail, down to Bear lake & Back up Defiance then down the Defiance to the Starvation TH = total roughly 31+ miles & 11,000 EG. My plan was to go up Starvation then continue to Green Point Mt, Tomlike, Chinedere, & Back to Defiance = roughly 30 miles & I think 8-9,000 EG.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YRAFDW- ... e=youtu.be

We met at the Starvation TH a few ticks before 6:am & started hiking shortly after that. We pretty much talked the whole time catching up on the year of training, hiking, trail running, etc..etc..

In no time at all we were at the power line lookout area

We arrive at the large boulder field & I'm asking Joe where did the time go? I don't remember even hitting the smaller boulder field? The fog really messed up the pics & video I was taking.

Bammm! we are out of the fog bank & the sky was getting clearer by the minute. Above Warren Lake a slight breeze was feeling good.

Wow no idea where the time went but it took exactly 2:30 to reach he Summit. I believe this is my fastest time going up the Starvation route. About 200 yards before the road to the summit I started to bonk, so, I slowed down & Joe waited up for me. When we reached the road we jogged the rest of the way up.

We grabbed a quick drink & a snack, maybe spent 5 minutes or so at the top.
The Descent down the back of Defiance was similar to the Ascent, seriously no idea where the time went ? We arrive at the Bear lake parking lot & this is where we split & go our separate ways. This is also the last time we see each other. Bammmmola!!! It was really fun for me pushing hard after being couched up for way to many weeks :)

So after telling Joe I really have no problem navigating in this area now...at least compared to last year. I made 2 mistakes ( 1) I missed the 423 A going up to Rainy Lake to fill up my water bladder & (2) ascend to Greenpoint Mnt without back tracking.

...hmm... I see now what I did :) I talked to some FS trail workers that were on the Kingsley Trail . Yes I took a detour to talk to some trail friends. When it was time to move on I took a left instead of going straight up the 423A
Steve & Dave ...Thanks again for the Trail work :)

Ok! no biggies ill just back track & go up the 408. I make it up to GreenPoint & check my water = 1 liter...hmm how far can I go on 1 liter of water & 22 ounces of Cocowater?? Nice views on Green Point Mnt.

On to TomLike! Great side profile of Tomlike

Nice views of Hood also

Umm... Yeah where's the trail..stay right :). Ok not so bad, but more bushwhacker style than I like. It really was slow going (1) because of the terrain & (2) because I was not and am not all that comfortable with rock field scrambling. & (3) I do not know this area very well. But wow it is spectacular from the top.

Now on to Chinedere Whooohooo...o wait I'm out of. Liquids !!
Hey what's this sign all about? Some kind of fire closer from 2012

Then I run into some bear hunters!...ummm..

Ok! Here they are :). They asked where Mud lake was & somehow I knew where it was...well I just passed a sign 1 mile prior to running into them. They offered up a powerade, but for some dumb reason I refused??

On ward we must go & Chinedere it is
Wahtum lake sure was looking nice.

Hood was looking splendid as well

The view of the Tomlike, GreenPt & Defiance off in the distance

Hood & off to the Right is Indian Mnt. Maybe next time.

Time to head back...very slowly with zero water.. I contemplated going down to Wahtum to fill up but decided it was probably going to be harder than just going back to Rainy lake. I was, so, dehydrated I started walking very slow. I think this was the slowest I had ever hiked or at least that I could ever remember.
I knew if I walked slow I would make it without feeling too exhausted but dang it was hot out & I was really thirsty.
Before I get to rainy lake, maybe 1.5 miles i see a side spring that I did not remember seeing earlier in the day?? Anyways I actually pumped & drank 2 liters right away, then while resting & soaking my feet I drank 1 more liter..wow I was more dehydrated than I imagined. I filled up my bladder to the max 3 liters before departing my favorite spot of the day:)

Man it seems like a long road back & I never fully recovered from the dehydration. It took about 2 hours before I coud really start pushing hard & feeling good about it.

Some cool looking weathered wood going back up Defiance

I have never been so happy to see the top of Defiance :). & since there is a rock on top of the gas chamber that must mean Joe has come & gone...yep some 3-4 hours before me.

Looks like new foundations for the gas chamber were being worked on while I was out sagging up the trails...it sure was tempting to put some kind of Mayhem graffiti on the fresh cement, but I did not. I also removed the rock marker for the next time.

I knew I must have been way behind Joe because I ate 2 spider webs on trail on the way down. Also fitting was what appeared to be spider mans glove left on the fence

Ok back @ the TH with an Empty bladder @ almost exactly 13 hours of hiking which I thought would take no more than 10hrs max. Later I find out Joe finished in 9hrs.... Bammmola to a serious butt kicking :))

This is my story, though I'm not entirely sure it ever happened, is accurate or true because I was in a Looned up state the entire day. A great day it was based on foot, back, legs, hips, shoulders & neck feed back the next morning :)

Thanks again Joerunner.

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=2699&w=645&h=440
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

joerunner

Re: 8.8.13 Plains 100 Training & Gorge Recon = Defiance X 2

Post by joerunner » August 11th, 2013, 5:53 pm

Great trip report Mayhem. Getting dehydrated on the trail really sucks. I've had that happen a few times and I know how unpleasant it is. I really enjoyed your company and energy. Looking forward to doing it again this Summer.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » August 11th, 2013, 9:28 pm

Awesome, guys! That's a full meal deal of hiking.

I'm very familiar with getting dehydrated. It really stinks. :(
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

airoff

Post by airoff » August 11th, 2013, 10:35 pm

Wyeth doesn't get proper respect for its difficulty in most guidebooks. I find it harder than Starvation Ridge. Props joerunner!

Another great TR!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » August 12th, 2013, 6:23 am

mayhem wrote:Image
Wow! Well done and nice pics and report, too. Neat little heart shaped clear cut in the distance.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » August 12th, 2013, 6:24 am

Great TR!

Bummer on the dehydration.

Did you start with a full 3 liters of water?

Also was wondering if you waypointed the water spot where you tanked up?

Sounds like you're getting good use from your GeigerRig in-line filter, I looked for one where
I bought my GR and they didn't have any more GR products on the shelf :(

Joe's route sounds pretty sick, would be fun to try both of your guys routes someday when I
can get away for a all day work out :)

mayhem

Post by mayhem » August 12th, 2013, 8:23 am

Eric Peterson wrote:Great TR!

Bummer on the dehydration.

Did you start with a full 3 liters of water?

Also was wondering if you waypointed the water spot where you tanked up?

Sounds like you're getting good use from your GeigerRig in-line filter, I looked for one where
I bought my GR and they didn't have any more GR products on the shelf :(

Joe's route sounds pretty sick, would be fun to try both of your guys routes someday when I
can get away for a all day work out :)
I started with 1.5 liters of Ice water & two 11oz cocowaters also iced up :).

Did I waypoint the spot where I watered up?? Are you kidding??...Of course I did!
Name: Water source :)
Date: Aug 8, 2013 3:32 pm
Longitude: 121º 45' 56" W
Altitude: 4,126 ft

I did not use the geigerrig inline filter. I have used it a lot, so, the night before i was testing it & it was not flowing very well, so, I chose to bring my little tiny MSR filter.

What a load of crap about getting out for an all day deal!
http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... =8&t=16667

mayhem

Post by mayhem » August 12th, 2013, 8:28 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
mayhem wrote: Wow! Well done and nice pics and report, too. Neat little heart shaped clear cut in the distance.

dn
Thanks DN :) I think the first time I was up here was a couple years ago with You & EP on some 30miler where DN Ran off into the sunset 25 miles in, while EP & I hobbled down to some waterfall shower nub dragging area after bombing down EPs Betsy Casey Crix!

The heart shape is probably from a logger that loves logging :)

Chase

Post by Chase » August 12th, 2013, 8:47 am

mayhem wrote:
So after telling Joe I really have no problem navigating in this area now...at least compared to last year. I made 2 mistakes ( 1) I missed the 423 A going up to Rainy Lake to fill up my water bladder & (2) ascend to Greenpoint Mnt without back tracking.

...hmm... I see now what I did :)
That junction is a bit confusing. It looks like a four-way intersection on the maps, but you get there and it is three-way. You head south a very short distance and there's the rest of the junction. The distance is too small to put on maps, I guess.

A similar situation occurs at the Anthill-Tomlike intersection.

Moral of the story: your hike/run was awesome no matter what.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » August 12th, 2013, 9:50 am

Hey I got all dehydrated on the DN, EP hike too! 2011..really?? Luke Carried 4 gallons of water up Defiance & saved me :)

Hiking with legends Don and Mayhem - some sort of loop hike

http://www.portlandhikers.org/forum/vie ... f=8&t=9171