Canyon Creek Meadows - 8/3/2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

Canyon Creek Meadows - 8/3/2013

Post by justpeachy » August 5th, 2013, 7:39 am

After seeing pdxgene's trip report for Canyon Creek Meadows, I decided I had to go there this weekend. As pdxgene so aptly put it, "Wow! How come I've never been here before? This place is amazing!" :D :D :D

I thought I'd be hiking solo this weekend but Greg was able to drive out from Corvallis to join me for this hike. He met me at my campsite at Jack Creek Campground at 7:30am and off we went.

The hike starts at cute little Jack Lake. It was a calm morning and the lake was reflecting very nicely.

The trail soon enters the Mt. Jefferson Wilderness.

Then there is more hiking through the scorched forest from the 2003 B&B Fire. Looks like the beargrass was good here a few weeks ago.

Passed a little snowmelt pond.

The trail entered living forest and then started passing through meadow areas where we could start to see Three Fingered Jack. Nice!

We had our first encounter with Canyon Creek. What a delightful gurgling creek! It reminded me of the little creek that flows through Elk Cove and the one that flows out of Russell Lake in Jefferson Park. I adore alpine creeks like this.

More meadows and more views.

We clambered up the crumbly rocky slope to the saddle viewpoint recommended in Sullivan's book.

From that viewpoint we could see down to the turquoise melt pond. The pond and the mountain are VERY close, and I didn't bring my wide-angle lens. I had to stitch together about 10 photos to make this composite.

This is where the melt pond empties out and where Canyon Creek begins.

Yay, this is beautiful!

We could see down to Canyon Creek Meadows below us.

And the tippy top of Mt. Jefferson.

Just a small part of the devastation wrought by the massive 2003 B&B wildfire.

Smoke from one of the many wildfires burning now.

The craggy landscape just above us.

Greg, always up for a challenge, decided to go a little further up.

Here is one of the pictures he took way up there. Tiny me is at lower left.

Then it was time to explore the flowers and that oh-so-delightful creek.

Finally after many photos and much enjoyment we started heading back. The first part of the loop trail back follows Canyon Creek, which is very nice. There is even a waterfall at one point!

But after the Wasco Lake junction there is no creek and lots of burned trees. (We didn't have time for the side trip to Wasco Lake. Next time!)

Peeking through the trees at the smoke from the Green Ridge Fire.

LOVED this hike! I will be back! There were more than 50 cars at the TH when we got back around 12:30. So glad we got an early start! As for the mosquitoes there were practically none! :shock:

Greg had to head home but the day was still young so I explored the lovely creek that I was camped near. There is a nice trail that follows Jack Creek all the way to its source where a spring gushes forth from a hillside. It's very much like the Metolius, just smaller. As Scott Cook writes in Bend Overall, "Being a 100% spring-fed creek, it doesn't flood its channel every season to sweep away the fallen trees and limbs. Along Jack Creek the trees lay as they fall, apparently for a long, long time."

I made a video of it, but YouTube compressed the hell out of it. I need to figure out what went wrong there.

Since the video didn't turn out well, here are some photos. Here is where the spring gushes out of the hillside. Crazy!

The B&B Fire in 2003 burned dangerously close to this idyllic spot. You can see the edge of the burn about 40 feet away.

Along the trail the burn is even closer.

The water is insanely clear and you can see mossy things beneath the water. Above the water, moss and green plants grow all over the place. Just gorgeous!

Apparently there used to be a bridge and boardwalk near the spring. Either it's been a long time since these were removed or they did a very good job of removing all traces of it, because looking around you'd never know those structures ever existed.

The advertised trail is south of the campground because that's where the spring is, but I discovered that there's a creekside trail that goes north too, from where Road 1230 crosses Jack Creek. It's very well-defined, definitely more than a game trail. I followed it for about a quarter mile before turning around, but I could see the trail kept going. I wonder how far it goes?

At this point I had a decision to make. Friends were getting together at a karaoke bar that evening to celebrate the recent Vegas wedding of one of my friends. Should I pack up and head home to attend? Sitting by the enchanting gurgling Jack Creek on this gorgeous day, it was hard to picture myself in a loud karaoke bar five hours later. So I stayed.

I decided to drive down to Round Lake to have a look around. According to my old Mount Jefferson Wilderness map (it's got an orange cover, not sure of date), the trailhead at Round Lake is on the east shore. I wasn't planning to hike off towards Square Lake, but was hoping for a short amble along the shore of Round Lake. But I never saw it and found myself over on the west shore where the trailhead is now located. The road ends at the Wilderness Lakes Retreat, which is private.

The road was not close to the shore here and there was tons of brush anyway, so I drove back over to the east side and found a very primitive campground with a tiny bit of lake access.

Got lots of walking in that day, so I called it a day and settled down with my book in the campground for the rest of the evening. Good times!

greglief

Re: Canyon Creek Meadows - 8/3/2013

Post by greglief » August 5th, 2013, 8:20 am

It was incredible to visit CCM during wildflower bloom without getting harassed by the mosquitoes!

Greg

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 5th, 2013, 9:49 am

You sure timed that right! That morning sun on TFJ totally brings out the colors in it!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

kelkev

Post by kelkev » August 5th, 2013, 10:28 am

I love Canyon Creek Meadows, especially sans mosquitoes and with the wildflowers! I first hiked in there probably 30 years ago with my parents and grandparents, we swatted mosquitoes and admired the flowers. Still such an awesome place to explore and soak in the awesome 3FJ backdrop. I could hardly see a distant 3FJ through the smoky haze on top of Olallie Mountain on Saturday!

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 5th, 2013, 12:35 pm

kelkev wrote: I could hardly see a distant 3FJ through the smoky haze on top of Olallie Mountain on Saturday!
I bet! As the crow flies were were not very far from the Green Ridge Fire and we were worried that the winds would blow the smoke in our direction, making for a smoky hazy hike. Fortunately that didn't happen, but I'm glad we weren't doing a hike involving far-flung views because we wouldn't have gotten those views!

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » August 5th, 2013, 1:45 pm

Ah man. Why do you people do this to me? :D Another place to put on the list. Looks gorgeous. That scramble looks like my teenager's dream come true.
Thanks,
Mike J

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » August 5th, 2013, 2:05 pm

mjuliana wrote:Ah man. Why do you people do this to me? :D Another place to put on the list. Looks gorgeous. That scramble looks like my teenager's dream come true.
Didja see the loop Crusak and I did? That scramble just keeps going, all the way to that pointy thing on the right! No need to do the 20+ mile death march, if you come in the way Cheryl and Greg did.

A full 360° view from the saddle just below Three Fingered Jack.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 5th, 2013, 5:25 pm

mjuliana wrote:That scramble looks like my teenager's dream come true.
I forgot to mention that we saw a dad and two teenage boys at the viewpoint and the two teens wanted to swim in the lake. They descended down to the creek and then made their way upstream to the lake so they could take a dip. They hadn't completed this trek before we were ready to descend to the meadow, so we didn't get to see their swim. But about 20 minutes later when we were down in the meadow we heard some whooping and hollering that must have been the sounds of two teens diving into a very icy lake. Crazy!

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » August 5th, 2013, 5:52 pm

It great to see one TR inspire another, and so on. It's like were some kind of clique.

Maybe I'll give the area a visit.

Thanks for the TR,
Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports