AM Siver Star loop Serendipity on Hood

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

AM Siver Star loop Serendipity on Hood

Post by Roy » July 29th, 2013, 7:59 pm

My wife and I did a early AM loop on Silver Star about 12 miles and 3,400 ft eg.

Our route.

We got home at eleven thirty and I was Itching to hike about 10 miles an 3,500ft eg from HRM to Cooper spur. So I left at noon.When I got to the trail and saw the traffic I lost desire quickly. So I went to Mt Hood Meadows and hiked up the service roads in blissful peace.With the intent of going as high on the MT above the highest lift.

My 9 plus mile 3,500 eg loop by altimeter.

The meadows and flowers beat my expectation hiking up the roads.

Gaining altitude Jefferson showed up.

I crossed the Timberline trail and in all five of minutes I saw a dozen day hikers and dogs URG.

You can see a old burn in the middle ridge and smoke from the Washington wild fire.

I broke free of the lifts and started up the Mt.

Things just got better and better!

It was time to head down.

I never thought this would be such nice peaceful hike. It was serendipity at its best. And after 2 years of intense rehab to do over 20 and 7,000ft in a day is extremely satisfying.

I will be taking a vacation day and putting that Whittier hike to rest and looking forward to a Tattoish traverse of several peaks in Sept.

When I ski Meadows now I will never see it the same.
Last edited by Roy on July 31st, 2013, 2:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

retired jerry

Re: AM Siver Star loop Serendipity on Hood

Post by retired jerry » July 29th, 2013, 8:07 pm

I keep meaning to do that

Looks really nice up there, above all the trash from skiers

So, from your high point, can you go over to Palmer or over to Gnarl Ridge?

Peder

Post by Peder » July 29th, 2013, 8:39 pm

Roy wrote: 20 miles and 7,000ft in a day is extremely satisfying.
A loony day for Tom! Wonderful to see how well you are getting! Great pictures and I love how you left the crowds and got solitude on your private portion of Mt Hood. I have only been once in the MHM ski area on foot, obviously there is some excellent hiking where you went (my son & I never got that high). Thanks for sharing and felicitations on persevering through all your physical injuries over the past years!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Roy

Post by Roy » July 30th, 2013, 6:58 am

retired jerry wrote:I keep meaning to do that

Looks really nice up there, above all the trash from skiers

Its not the eighties any more, the boarders are middle age and teaching their kids. There is no trash. Skiers are not littering to.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Roy

Post by Roy » July 30th, 2013, 4:55 pm

Peder wrote:
Roy wrote: 20 miles and 7,000ft in a day is extremely satisfying.
A loony day for Tom! Wonderful to see how well you are getting! Great pictures and I love how you left the crowds and got solitude on your private portion of Mt Hood. I have only been once in the MHM ski area on foot, obviously there is some excellent hiking where you went (my son & I never got that high). Thanks for sharing and felicitations on persevering through all your physical injuries over the past years!
Not really into loony stuff its mostly just a ego thing IMO. I put the numbers up to show I am ready for some good stuff.It all got better so fast this summer, not afraid to admit I woke my wife more than once in tears when I was using a cane and a catheter.Funny thing last thing on my mind was hiking its seems a pretty low priority at three am when your that messed up!

Roy

Post by Roy » July 30th, 2013, 5:48 pm

retired jerry wrote:I keep meaning to do that
I would just use the timberline trail unless you have some mountaineering skills ,I crossed the lower Newton Clark but I can read glaciers pretty well been on tons of um.

Man I wanted to bomb the down ski runs it would have been faster but they were so awesome I stuck to the winding service roads.Every thing was so neat and uncluttered up there I only saw this snow cat above the shooting star lift.

Seeing the ski lifts for me was better than the mobs I would of ran in to,there was a Umbrella falls trail head on the road going up to the ski area parking lot, the cars were parked at least a quarter of a mile along the road.

No thanks.

ishredsnow

Post by ishredsnow » July 30th, 2013, 7:26 pm

I don't know how to reply to specific sentences, but I just did Umbrella Falls and I felt the same about hiking Meadows. I was giddy hiking where I shred on feet of snow!
The next goal is hiking the Hood River Meadows loop to get higher up on the slopes, I can't wait! Nice TR :)

Roy

Post by Roy » July 31st, 2013, 1:14 am

ishredsnow wrote:I don't know how to reply to specific sentences, but I just did Umbrella Falls and I felt the same about hiking Meadows. I was giddy hiking where I shred on feet of snow!
The next goal is hiking the Hood River Meadows loop to get higher up on the slopes, I can't wait! Nice TR :)
Were you the guy that was walking south thru the lot up from the trail head when I was heading over toward HRM to the north? Thought we might we might intersect if we looped both ways.

Roy

Post by Roy » July 31st, 2013, 9:14 pm

ishredsnow wrote:I don't know how to reply to specific sentences, but I just did Umbrella Falls and I felt the same about hiking Meadows. I was giddy hiking where I shred on feet of snow!
I would like to park a car at the cloud cap gate and shuttle to HMR that should make a great thru hike up to cooper spur . No one seems interested,

Roy

Post by Roy » August 3rd, 2013, 12:53 am

Should say Im not against people on the trail,I do Hamilton a bunch lots of traffic there. This time of year I just like to solo alpne hikes and enjoy the solitide .Never an easy thing to pull off at Hood or most the vocanoes.
Last edited by Roy on August 3rd, 2013, 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.