Coldwater Peak via South Coldwater and new tff's: 7/28/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Coldwater Peak via South Coldwater and new tff's: 7/28/13

Post by Sean Thomas » July 29th, 2013, 9:41 am

It has been an interesting weekend inside and out of the hiking world. After a friend went down on a six mountain run attempt last Friday Joie and I decided to head up to Coldwater Peak north of Mt St Helens to take in the views and some needed solitude in the back country. We arrived at an empty South Coldwater TH around 8 am on Sunday morning and worked our way up past the first junction with the Coldwater Trail. Where there are great views of Mt Minnie(and hey, look who is wearing a non cotton shirt for once :D

Pretty soon the trail reaches a saddle where there are more great views of the mountain and surrounding scenery:

Near the junction with Boundary Trail looking south at the crater. Apparently the blast in 1980 was comparable to a ten megaton hydrogen bomb, there is a million tons in a megaton :shock:

The area around St Helens Lake is one of the most spectacular places on the planet:

Looking up toward Coldwater Peak from the Boundary Trail:

Views from the Coldwater Spur Trail are big time. The climb was incredibly tough as I have been dealing with Giardia since last week and probably should have stayed home anyway. Compound that with the fact that Joie has taken up running since moving out and it was clear that I was a saggy, baggy, washed up, good for nothing excuse of a hiker that day :cry: :D

Bistort and Coldwater:

The Moptops(Western Pasque Flowers) were putting on an incredible show near the summit:

Got the whole lake in the shot by the time we hit the top of Coldwater Peak(5,727ft)

Me enjoying the clouds on the summit rocks:

After lunch on the peak we hiked back down the spur trail and started our trip back to the car. About 1/2 mile up from the South Coldwater/Coldwater junction we ran into a young lady named Baylee who seemed confused and overheated in the afternoon sun. She asked us where the boat launch was and we asked her where she started etc. Her and her family were trying to make a loop around the lake using the lakes trail, coldwater trail and then the south coldwater trail back to the hwy. She was without a pack and water after running ahead of her family to try and get back to work on time. So we gave her some water and explained that there was still about 4 miles of hiking left before we would be back to the highway. Her family was still making their way up the Coldwater Trail so I left her with Joie while I ran down Coldwater a little ways to make sure everyone was doing ok/on the right track. They were extremely thankful for helping out but also thought the road was at the top of the Coldwater Trail. I explained the situation and their son and I picked up the pace to get back to Joie and Baylee. Then we hiked back down the South Coldwater Trail with a couple of new tff's:

Back at the TH we drove Baylee over to the boat launch so she could get her car and go pick up the rest of the family. Glad this one turned out ok. Ending up further into the back country at that time of the afternoon with no supplies/experience in the area could lead to an incredibly dangerous or at the very least frightening situation. Now the funny part is that in the confusion I dropped my phone heading down south coldwater with the new tffs. Mom and Dad were a little ways behind us and found the phone on their way down. They lived in Castle Rock and before figuring it all out, I ended up driving all the way back to Portland and then back up to the Longview Target where they were super nice to meet us with the phone. Woooooooh all of this driving/coordinating stuff is way harder than hiking! I have a new respect for SAR, trail crews, rescue crews, sherrifs/fire departments and good Samaritans that assist in these types of situations and so on. They are the real legends out there!

mayhem

Re: Coldwater Peak via South Coldwater and new tff's: 7/28/1

Post by mayhem » July 29th, 2013, 11:27 am

Well all things considered it was nice that you and JojoRunning machine helped those people out !

WTH?? I guess I missed a few TRs or something??
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 29th, 2013, 12:17 pm

Dude, you got giardia??? :shock:

I know this is a meaningless question when it comes to giardia, but any idea how/when? Whenever I take an untreated sip from a stream, someone I'm with will drop a cliche about their friend who got giardia, but I still doubt people are getting it from mountain water unless they're drinking from creeks downstream of campsites.

If you're already out hiking, it seems like you're on the road to recovery. Feel better!
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » July 29th, 2013, 3:34 pm

Thanks guys, Yeah im not entirely sure but my filter broke last week and I drank some untreated water from a small stream let near Jefferson Park on the S. Breitenbush Trail, and then I noticed some horse droppings up the trail a ways :? Couple that with getting lazy lately on some of the longer trips like the Loowit or Hatfields and I just assumed. I mean I've never drank much untreated water and then all of a sudden I start drinking a lot of it and bamm, I fee like crap. Someone mentioned that it might be the stomach flu that's been going around so I am hoping its just that. I also feel a lot better today which makes me think its just the flu, but ive never had the flu make me feel that bad before. Giardia just sounds so much more badass(sarcasm)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 29th, 2013, 4:56 pm

I think Giardia can vary from no symptoms to horrible that doesn't go away unless treated, and the treatment is even worse than the disease.

Peder

Post by Peder » July 29th, 2013, 5:50 pm

Compound that with the fact that Joie has taken up running since moving out and it was clear that I was a saggy, baggy, washed up, good for nothing excuse of a hiker that day
Go JojoMachine! Don't feel bad Sean, she is a hiking legend!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 29th, 2013, 7:52 pm

Great TR as usual Sean.

I need to do more hiking in the MSH area. I've been there a few times, but not enough times and not far enough.

Giardia sure does suck. I got it once many years ago and have been super cautious about treating water I get outdoors. It was literally the most gut-wrenching experience that has ever happened to me.

I bet you hiking with Giargia can still leave me and most other hikers in the dust.

It was fortunate for the other group of hikers that you were there to help them out. I hope there were lessons learned about being prepared.

Regarding your phone, sounds like good karma came full circle. Remember that time we found someone's iPhone on Hamilton Mountain and arranged to get it back to them? Karma dude.

Hike on man,
Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » July 29th, 2013, 10:13 pm

Awesome story and 911 action on your part Sean!

I hope JoJo comes on and explains the running thing, if it's trail running or street or both.

Good to see you 2 out and about as well! :)

Hope I can someday come back out and hike with all my TFF's again soon!

Roy

Post by Roy » July 30th, 2013, 4:25 am

Yikes those people owe you Sean there is no cell service up there, I doubt they had a light source. And Ive hiked to Johnstone ridge and the Cold water lake trail heads near dark before its a lonely place at dusk. Thanks to you they avoided a long night and I doubt anyone new where they were so SAR wasn't much of an option for them with no cell service.

Nothing wrong with chasing a fit Joe all day I did that for years even before I was this sad sack of bones my wife had a faster pace than I. Its not a bad way to spend the day if you catch my drift.

Nice job on Cold water peak its a classic for sure. That type of illness really saps your strength doing that hike is impressive.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura