A hike to the hut and a lupine explosion - 7/21/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
justpeachy

A hike to the hut and a lupine explosion - 7/21/13

Post by justpeachy » July 26th, 2013, 7:09 am

After my short hike up to Barlow Butte Sunday morning I decided it was too beautiful a day to go home just yet. So I headed up to Timberline Lodge to do the short trek up to the historic Silcox Hut.

When I arrived at the lodge it was a ZOO. I barely found a place to park. I asked a parking lot attendant if there was an event going on. He said this was just how things were on nice summer weekends.

There was lupine blooming all over the place around the lodge.

The hike up is about a mile long, but you gain 1,000 feet in that mile AND you're hiking above 6,000 feet, which is hard when you live at an elevation of about 300 feet! Fortunately there was plenty of view to be had for the frequent rest stops I had to take.

Getting close!

The Silcox Hut was built in 1939 and it served as the upper terminus of the Magic Mile chairlift. The Magic Mile was moved a bit west in the 1960s and the hut eventually fell into disrepair. It has since been restored and is now available for events such as retreats and weddings.

The views, of course, were sublime. Looking south to Mt. Jefferson and the Three Sisters.

The chaos of the lodge far far below me.

Trillium Lake.

White River.

Looking southwest out over layers and layers of mountains. On the left you can see the alpine slide at Skibowl (I gotta do that someday; it looks fun!)

The Palmer Snowfield was above me, but there was a half-pipe right next to where I was sitting and admiring the view. I was amazed at the number of skiers and snowboarders who were up here. Maybe it's because I'm not a skier, but I just don't equate summer with skiing.

Someone got injured up on Palmer and was being brought down. That would be a bit of a scary ride, I think.

This little guy came searching for handouts. Sorry buddy. You have to learn to fend for yourself.

So he went and started munching on penstemon.

I sat and enjoyed the view for a long time before finally heading down. Sullivan suggests a different return route going down the service road below the chairlift terminals. I would have done that except it would have required crossing the snow in the path of skiers and snowboarders. Uh, no thanks.

About halfway down two women asked me if they were on the Timberline Trail. I said that they were quite aways above that trail. They had gotten confused by the maze of trails below and at one junction where it pointed the way to the Timberline Trail they thought the trail crossed the snow where the skiers were coming down. It DOES look that way depending on where you're standing, but it's easy enough to avoid the snow.

Obligatory Timberline shot.

By now the day was pretty warm so I stopped at the Ice Axe Grill in Government Camp before heading home. Great day! :D

Splintercat

Re: A hike to the hut and a lupine explosion - 7/21/13

Post by Splintercat » July 26th, 2013, 8:03 am

Nice report, Cheryl - you really do need to start writing hiking guides! You're trip reports are pretty much everything Sullivan delivers but the map... and a LOT better photography! :D
Sullivan suggests a different return route going down the service road below the chairlift terminals. I would have done that except it would have required crossing the snow in the path of skiers and snowboarders. Uh, no thanks.
You can also cross over to the Mountaineers Trail, but it's very hard to find the top of it -- best to take the TT over to the old Timberline Cabin site, where the Mountaineer Trail heads straight up. It's really nice -- much less resort stuff around you until you approach the Magic Mile terminal. This is the little swale that the Mountaineer Trail follows up to the terminal:

The trail is poorly defined near the top, and you end up crossing snow, too. The resort operators don't spend a lot of time worrying about hikers, of course (though many of us who OWN THEIR BUILDING AND THE MOUNTAIN DO HIKE), but I've always thought a few flags in summer to get you across the ski runs would be a nice way to make this an easier loop -- sort of like a pedestrian crosswalk. Short of that, I would agree - dodging a bunch of 14-year-old ski brats on snowboards is scary! :?

BTW, when I was up there in 2011, there were several contractor trucks parked around the hut, with all manner of extension cords and power equipment going in and out -- it turns out that Silcox got some much-needed restoration courtesy the Federal Stimulus Bill! Watched this carpenter restoring the windows on the south side for awhile:

Thanks for posting!

Tom :)

pablo

Post by pablo » July 26th, 2013, 9:12 am

Splintercat wrote:Nice report, Cheryl - you really do need to start writing hiking guides! You're trip reports are pretty much everything Sullivan delivers but the map... and a LOT better photography! :D
A very nice report and I second Tom's comments on your writing - a lot of reports I just scan the text and look at the pretty pictures but I find myself reading your reports from beginning to end. You always add interesting details and stories to go along with the obviously fine photos.

Thx,

--Paul
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 26th, 2013, 9:43 am

Splintercat wrote:You can also cross over to the Mountaineers Trail, but it's very hard to find the top of it -- best to take the TT over to the old Timberline Cabin site, where the Mountaineer Trail heads straight up. It's really nice -- much less resort stuff around you until you approach the Magic Mile terminal.
Good to know! I'll try that next time.
pablo wrote:
Splintercat wrote:Nice report, Cheryl - you really do need to start writing hiking guides! You're trip reports are pretty much everything Sullivan delivers but the map... and a LOT better photography! :D
A very nice report and I second Tom's comments on your writing - a lot of reports I just scan the text and look at the pretty pictures but I find myself reading your reports from beginning to end. You always add interesting details and stories to go along with the obviously fine photos.
Aw, shucks. Thanks! :)

mjuliana

Post by mjuliana » July 26th, 2013, 10:15 am

Great pictures and nice add-on to your day. My kids have spent many a summer day skiing on Palmer in the summer. Folks come from all over the world to train at Timberline. I believe it is the one place in the US that you can train all through the summer. Govy in the summer is just packed with racers and boarders. It always makes me smile to see all of the kids wandering around in race suits carrying skis. It just is so odd to see when it is 75 degrees out.
Thanks,
Mike J

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » July 26th, 2013, 9:59 pm

I agree everyone's comments about your trip reports. Even a trip to the silcox is a good read. Thank you.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

ishredsnow

Post by ishredsnow » July 28th, 2013, 12:03 am

Just wanted to add that High Cascade snowboarding camp is in full swing. Also Dakine was there doing a film and several other pro boarders have been there this week along with Windell's Camp, so I'm sure it was a mad house. Beautiful pics.