Castle Canyon & TDH Mtn. Wildflower Update

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Boozeman

Castle Canyon & TDH Mtn. Wildflower Update

Post by Boozeman » July 17th, 2013, 10:09 pm

I started out today planning on heading up to Tom Dick and Harry Mountain via Mirror Lake trail, but the early cloud cover convinced me that I should kill some time before heading out there. I pulled over and consulted my Sullivan hiking book and saw that there was a relatively short and relatively unknown(...at least to me) hike just a short distance from where I was. Castle Canyon. I don't recall ever seeing any T.R. for this place so I wasn't sure what I was going to get myself into. It still had an awesome sounding name so I figured what the heck. The trail head was easy to get to and well signed which is always a plus. I think the trail to Castle Canyon is about a mile and some change, but it picks up around 800ft. elevation in that time so it's no "cake walk". I had the place all to myself the entire trip, so if you're looking for solitude this place is good for that.The trail gets steep in a few areas and the loose gravel makes the footing a little treacherous, but manageable. I did have to hunker down and slide on my bum in a few places on the way back down for fear of tumbling head over heels to the bottom. I hiked up to where it goes from steep to REALLY STEEP, which I think might continue on to Zig Zag Mountain ( I left my guide book in my car, so I'm not positive about that). All in all, it was a pleasant way to while away an hour or so. :)

My plan to wait for the clouds to burn off worked and I continued on to the Mirror Lake trail head. As usual there were about ten thousand cars there. I shot right past the lake and up the TDH trail leaving the masses behind. This was my first time doing this hike and when I got to the top my jaw almost hit the floor. WOW. That view is incredible, although most of you already know that. As for the wildflower situation...they're definitely in decline. There are still a few patches here and there, but they're looking a little worse for wear. I just saw the latest McNeil Point T.R. and that's where you want to be for flowers it would seem. Especially Avalanche Lilies. :lol:
Attachments
CC1.JPG
Here's the trail head for Castle Canyon. There are two or three pull off spots on the road for parking. Be careful not to park in someones driveway, as there are some cabins back there along the road.
CC2.JPG
Oh...THIS is why it's called Castle Canyon? That looks more like a tower to me, but I'm not gonna split hairs.
CC3.JPG
I've never seen a beetle like this before. It had the absolute coolest markings on its' back. Anybody know what he might be?
CC4.JPG
This is what the trail looks like in a few spots. It's almost more of a scramble than a trail sometimes.
CC5.JPG
These "castles" are pretty impressive. I did a lot of neck craning during my time here.
CC6.JPG
Not sure if you can make out the graffiti on the rock, but it says "1971". That graffiti is a few years older than me!!! Damn hippies.
CC7.JPG
This place reminded me a lot of the Herman Creek Pinnacles only this trail made my knees hurt a lot more.
TDH1.JPG
Some random pockets of flowers are still hanging in there on the Tom Dick and Harry trail.
TDH6.JPG
There are still a few paintbrushes and pearly everlastings left, but the bear grass has pretty much been reduced to stalks in most places.
TDH8.JPG
Look...I saw some avalanche lilies too. Just not a million at once like McNeil.

kepPNW

Re: Castle Canyon & TDH Mtn. Wildflower Update

Post by kepPNW » July 18th, 2013, 5:37 am

Two most excellent hikes! And at total opposite ends of so many spectrums, too. :)

I was telling someone just a week or two ago that Castle Canyon is the perfect little "add-on" to TDH! You made a great call there - I think the clouds or even light fog/mist really add to it. (My last trip there.)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...