Two Novice backpackers take on the Loowit trail - 07/14/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Roy

Re: Two Novice backpackers take on the Loowit trail - 07/14/

Post by Roy » July 19th, 2013, 5:42 pm

Nice report Guy and Chyioko, it looks like Guy is a true gentleman he has the monster pack, and the monsters gear ;)
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Guy

Post by Guy » July 19th, 2013, 5:52 pm

Roy wrote:Nice report Guy and Chyioko, it looks like Guy is a true gentleman he has the monster pack, and the monsters gear ;)
Thanks Tom, no, I just have old heavy non backpacking gear! I used to do a lot of backpacking in the 80's then we didn't worry about weight we just carried what we needed! I guess the ravages of time (& IPA) have put pay to those days :) .. Next thing you know I'll be asking Retired Jerry for tarp sewing patterns ;) ..
Last edited by Guy on July 19th, 2013, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 19th, 2013, 6:13 pm

10 years ago I hiked around Mount Hood with Kelty Tioga pack that weighs 4 pounds, 3 pound sleeping bag, 4 pound tent,... There is hope for you.

cfm

Post by cfm » July 20th, 2013, 9:10 am

Goats AND elk in a single shot, and then marmots-that's a wildlife jackpot! You are so fortunate.

I noticed in your goat and elk shot, there is a third creature between the lone goat and the rest of the herd....what is it?

Guy

Post by Guy » July 21st, 2013, 4:47 am

I noticed in your goat and elk shot, there is a third creature between the lone goat and the rest of the herd....what is it?
Yes I was looking at that while taking the photos & had high hopes that it might be a bear. It's isn't though, probably just a rock as it was in exactly the same place the next morning!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

queequeg99

Post by queequeg99 » July 30th, 2013, 6:02 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Guy wrote:
kepPNW wrote:
So, would you go CW or CCW on a day hike? :D (I had been leaning CCW, but your lava field photos have me rethinking about getting that out of the way upfront. Hmmmm...)
First, let me say that the OP's post is AWESOME! Great pics!

Second, I did the loop in a day (about 9 hours actually) this past Saturday (July 27th). We went counter clockwise. When I do it again (after I deal with the trauma), I will definitely go clockwise. The lava fields are really a huge pain. I thought I would want to do them when I was tired and already wanted to go very slow. Wrong! They are too dangerous. You need to have your wits about you when crossing these.

Also, having no water during the last 10+ miles over such difficult terrain was not fun. I had to carefully meter my consumption. Not fun.

Finally, The drop down into and climb out of the Toutle would be better going iclockwise. Yes, you have some outright ash dune climbing on the other side going up. But it is only a small percentage of the climb and the rest is MUCH better than the reverse (which had some very overgrown parts and was significantly longer).

There apparently is a good reason why the volcano50 race goes clockwise.

Overall, this was one of the most physically challenging tests I have endured. But amazingly beautiful. Highlight of the run was turning a corner and happening upon a herd of about 70 elk. They were about 1/4 mile away and our sudden appearance scared them off, but WOW, super cool to see them.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 31st, 2013, 5:56 am

queequeg99 wrote:Second, I did the loop in a day (about 9 hours actually) this past Saturday (July 27th). We went counter clockwise. When I do it again (after I deal with the trauma), I will definitely go clockwise. The lava fields are really a huge pain.
Wow, great insights there! They all make very good sense. Thanks much... :)
Karl
Back on the trail, again...