Lake Ingalls - Great Alpine Lake or GREATEST Alpine lake?

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
anne37

Lake Ingalls - Great Alpine Lake or GREATEST Alpine lake?

Post by anne37 » July 16th, 2013, 2:35 pm

Hey everybody - I did a great hike yesterday to Lake Ingalls in the Alpine Lakes wilderness. Snow levels are perfect right now, the lake is just melting out. Bugs at the lake are moderate. Even on a Monday, there were about 10 others out there, so I highly recommend doing this one mid-week if at all possible. The hike itself has everything, amazing views from the trailhead that just get better as you hike, upwards of thirty "docile" mountain goats, marmots, meadows, wildflowers, easy navigation but also a bit of challenge when you get to the rockier parts. In-your-face views of Mount Stuart that have to be seen - my pictures aren't doing it justice. Obviously, I can't say enough good things about this place. I may be in love. Reminded me a little of Cascade Pass to Sahale Arm, in that the whole thing is just gorgeous.

Stats - about nine miles roundtrip (having some issues with my Garmin right now), 2.5 hours to get to the lake at a medium pace (enough time to take pictures and gawk), less than 2 down. The drive, as always with me, is brutal, but I made a loop of it taking I-5 and I-90 before dawn and coming home via Yakima. If you can stay overnight or sleep at the trailhead, you'll probably enjoy this trip more. There are stunning campsites in Headlight Basin. The hike can be combined with loops to Longs Pass, or for climbers there's the approaches to the Stuart summit and Ingalls peak.

I put some more pictures on my blog, as I don't have time to resize them all just now. Here's the only one you need to sell this hike, however:
Attachments
DSC_0732 -2.jpg
Last edited by anne37 on July 16th, 2013, 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mayhem

Re: Lake Ingalls - Great Alpine Lake or GREATEST Alpine lake

Post by mayhem » July 16th, 2013, 2:38 pm

WOW!!! Did you test the waters? That looks perfect for brutal foot soakings!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

anne37

Post by anne37 » July 16th, 2013, 2:51 pm

Hah hah, no! The only reason to wait longer to do this hike would be easier access to the lake. You can cut around the side of it (to the left) to visit Stuart Pass, but with that lingering snow I did not want to plunge through a snow bridge for a chilly dip. :D

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 16th, 2013, 3:01 pm

anne37 wrote:Hah hah, no! The only reason to wait longer to do this hike would be easier access to the lake. You can cut around the side of it (to the left) to visit Stuart Pass, but with that lingering snow I did not want to plunge through a snow bridge for a chilly dip. :D
O'! Maybe it is a perspective thing? It looked like it was close & you could sit on the rock in the view there? I guess it was way far a way?

anne37

Post by anne37 » July 16th, 2013, 3:14 pm

I was about 10 feet above it, but you could totally scramble down on the lefthand side, just watch the postholing. Snow should be almost gone by next weekend.

anne37

Post by anne37 » July 16th, 2013, 3:16 pm

Here, maybe this pic will help:
Attachments
DSC_0727-2.JPG

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 16th, 2013, 3:19 pm

anne37 wrote:Here, maybe this pic will help:
Thanks! Ok, now I see! yeah not as appealing falling down slippery slope to 33 degree full body soak!

backcountryhunter

Post by backcountryhunter » July 17th, 2013, 9:38 am

Wow!! Those are some great pictures of the views on your blog. You seem to always get into the Mt. Goats eh?

In your opinion would it be quicker to take 97 or up 205-5-90 to the TH?

This is definitely on my post surgery bucket list!

Tony Heckard

anne37

Post by anne37 » July 17th, 2013, 10:19 am

I think it depends on when you leave. I-5/I-90 is fastest during non-rush hour times, but even before 5 am it was already surprisingly busy near Tacoma. Coming home, it's a toss-up. According to Google maps it's empirically slower to go home the 97 way, and if you catch construction FORGET IT, but I have seen the sprawling effects of Seattle traffic after 2 pm and opt to avoid that every time now. Some of the driving over Unatanum Pass and that whole area is fast and dramatic. But Selah and Wapato and not exacty scenic, so it's a tradeoff.

jeffstatt

Post by jeffstatt » July 22nd, 2013, 7:19 am

That's outside the permit area if memory serves, right? That looks like a great reward for pretty mild effort (if you don't count the commute!) I've done Enchantments twice now, but it always has me thinking about other alpine lakes in the area outside the permit area. Any campsites around/near the lake?