Diamond Peak 7.14.13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jessbee

Diamond Peak 7.14.13

Post by jessbee » July 15th, 2013, 1:01 pm

I have no idea why this route isn't more popular among the hiking/beginner climber crowd so I'm posting my latest blog on it here. It's a stellar, non-technical route without the crowds of the bigger peaks like South Sister. If you haven't checked out Diamond Peak, put it on your bucket list.

July 14, 2013.

Rockpile Trail > PCT > Climber’s trail up South Ridge of Diamond Peak and back

12 miles | 3750′ ele. gain | 8.5 hours

I've been busy with building my business this summer. So busy, I'd hardly gotten much opportunity to spend time in the mountains. So today, I convinced Aaron to climb Diamond Peak with me. I'd been up Diamond a couple of years ago in September, so I was hoping we'd have some snow to climb this early in the summer.

We began at a roadside pullout near the nondescript trailhead for the Rockpile trail on gravel road 2149. The first several miles of trail are gently graded through dry, open forest. The mosquitoes were aggressive right from the get-go. There was little time for stopping as we rushed along to escape their advances.

We blasted through the turns to get to the PCT and eagerly awaited the start of the climbers trail. At least, we thought, the breeze would keep the bugs down a little bit. The PCT dragged on for what felt like forever, then we reached the hairpin turn where we'd leave the trail. I remembered that there was a cairn marking this spot the last time I was here, so I trotted up ahead to look for it, then saw this:

Whoops, I mean:

Anyways, the two obvious cairns on either side of the well-worn climbers path made it pretty easy to find. From here, we began trekking straight uphill. It was in stark contrast to the mellow forest walk we'd just completed. It was go time.

Up and up we went, following the obvious tread and small piles of rock. At first, the path was condensed and straightforward. But once we got out into the open, there were cairns and paths everywhere. We trended roughly up and right, where I knew the ridge would lead us to the summit. In hindsight, we should have paid a little more attention to our ascent route.

We scrambled up loose rocks and sand, trying to find the rocks that were lodged more tightly into the mountain. Eventually, we angled towards a snow slope and headed straight up that. The angle was moderate and the texture was perfect for barebooting it, so our crampons stayed safely stowed away in our packs. It felt so nice to be walking up a predictable surface. After the snow ended, we crossed more rocks and headed right to another, longer snowfield. This again, ended too soon and put us back onto the rocks.

From here we began to get views of the broad crater that makes up the southeastern part of the mountain. Large snowfields filled patches of the crater. Rocky spires jutted up from the long and sinuous summit ridge. We spied a skier and some dogs making their way up the snowy bowl. At the edge of the bowl, we enjoyed the lovely breeze and had a snack before tackling the rest of the rock-hop to the ridge.

Atop the false summit, we got an excellent view of our destination just a half mile ahead of us. The lingering snow reached up from the bowl and paralleled the rock on the eastern side of the ridge. We mostly stuck to the sandy, path on top of the rocks. Occasionally we stepped across on to the snow and crossed the narrow, flat area that was slowly melting away from the rock. We stopped to investigate some interesting caves and sculptures made by the snow.

After many ups and downs, we scrambled up the final scree slope to the small but flat summit. It felt so nice to drop off my pack and sit down for a more substantial meal. It was exactly noon, so lunch was on the table.

I dug into a chicken burrito and lukewarm tea while Aaron wandered around taking photos. We hadn't seen anyone all day, except for the skier far below us. I always enjoy savoring a summit without crowds. I thought about other, more popular peaks like South Sister, which probably had 50 people on the summit at this very moment, and wondered why more novice climbers don't tackle Diamond Peak. It's easier, has the same amazing views, and you don't even have to pay to park at the trailhead.

Summit solitude came to an end abruptly as I felt fur and breath come across my quietly napping face. I jumped up to find two fluffy dogs all over me. Since I'm allergic to dogs and generally don't like them anyways, this was an unfortunate wake-up. The dogs were followed up by the skier we'd seen in the bowl. A few more skiers were ascending up the west ridge. It was time to go.

We retreated back along the ridge, sticking mostly to the rock this time, passing two more hikers on their way up. Score one for the early risers :)

The trip back down the rock and scree was mostly good. We glissaded down the two snowfields we'd climbed on the way up, then set a course roughly down and right, hoping to come across some semblance of a use path.

We ended up going too far right, being lured in by shade trees, and realized we were off route. What had seemed so obvious on the way up was very unfamiliar on the way down. Aaron and I fanned out, investigating our hunches, and playing a few rounds of "Marco Polo" as we descended towards the PCT. Aaron began spying cairns to our left, so we wandered towards those until we came back upon the start of the climbers route. Back at the gate of the southern oracle, we stopped in the shade to prepare for the trek through the forest. I reapplied DEET and switched boots to Crocs, while Aaron pasted on the sunscreen and adjusted his footwear.

From here, we  got back on the trail and mindlessly put one foot in front of the other all the way back to the car. My feet were feeling cool, comfy and free. We saw no one else the remainder of the hike. It was a tremendously fun day.

The central Oregon peaks are looking pretty dry right now. My crampons have spent a lot of time in my pack this year. I got a great look north at South Sister, where I'll be taking a group in late September (wanna come along?). The mountain looks beautiful from afar. In the meantime, I've got to plan more days to escape into the wild.

Check out the rest of the photos on Google Plus.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

retired jerry

Re: Diamond Peak 7.14.13

Post by retired jerry » July 15th, 2013, 1:19 pm

I haven't really been south much, looks like I should check it out.

So I looked at jessbfit.com, interesting website

I think you're right about fat not being so bad, it's the refined carbs that's the problem, and some "low fat" food has refined carbs instead.

One thing that's confusing is, is Canola oil good? It has unsaturated fat which is good, but it's so processed.

And what about coconut oil? It has a lot of saturated fat which some people recommend against, but other people say it's good.

And what should you use for sauteing? I use canola sometimes, but it seems like it gets really thick which I wonder if that makes it more like saturated fat.

potato

Post by potato » July 15th, 2013, 1:22 pm

jessbee wrote:... the two obvious cairns on either side of the well-worn climbers path made it pretty easy to find.
Jesse and I managed to miss these when we did Diamond Peak... felt pretty stupid when we got back down from the summit and realized how obvious it was!

Maybe people don't climb it as much because of the long approach? Sounds like you found a shorter one though if your hike was 12 miles.

Nice TR, I really liked the PCT along there with all the nice lakes.

I checked out your website too... yeah I get most of my calories from fat when I'm outdoors these days. I like it. I hope saturated fats like coconut oil turn out not to be an issue :)
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 15th, 2013, 1:48 pm

Great TR!

I remember Joe's report from last year. That made me want to do it this year,
which is most likely going to happen.

Now I know it's open for business.

Thanks for posting.

- Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

jessbee

Post by jessbee » July 16th, 2013, 12:26 pm

retired jerry wrote:One thing that's confusing is, is Canola oil good? It has unsaturated fat which is good, but it's so processed.

And what about coconut oil? It has a lot of saturated fat which some people recommend against, but other people say it's good.

And what should you use for sauteing? I use canola sometimes, but it seems like it gets really thick which I wonder if that makes it more like saturated fat.
Well to take this TR into a completely different direction...

Canola oil is a great source of monounsaturated fat, and is a great choice for sauteeing foods. All oils are processed to some degree, and the only sources I can find that talk about how awful canola oil is are off-the-deep-end hippie websites. Like way off the deep end, "everything is a toxin" sites.

Coconut oil has a cult-like following too, although it contains a lot of saturated fat (92%). So the heart people say limit saturated fat, and the Paleo people practically bathe their food in it. Depends on which camp you think is more credible. Here's a recent article from the Seattle Times that tackles the coconut oil debate: http://seattletimes.com/html/health/202 ... utxml.html. If I'm going to eat saturated fat, I prefer to make it butter.

I walk the line and use a variety of different types of oil in small quantities throughout the week. The best food advice I've read comes from Michael Pollan. I try to steer clear of both the government's opinion and the super fanatics opinions. Basically, I move around enough so that I need a lot of calories in my diet, and I try to make most of those calories nutrient dense, without depending solely on one particular type of food for my nutrition.

Oh and yeah, Diamond Peak, great hike. I had a chicken and bean burrito on the summit. I learned from a hiking partner once--if you buy a frozen burrito and throw it in your pack, it will defrost during the walk and be ready for lunch or dinner (if you're backpacking). YMMV in the winter time.
Will break trail for beer.

Blog and photos

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 16th, 2013, 1:13 pm

"If I'm going to eat saturated fat, I prefer to make it butter."

+1

I've read some anti Canola oil stuff but now that you mention it, it's more "over-the-deep-end".

Good idea about frozen burrito

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 16th, 2013, 2:29 pm

Looks like quite a workout! Great views up there. :D
jessbee wrote:I learned from a hiking partner once--if you buy a frozen burrito and throw it in your pack, it will defrost during the walk and be ready for lunch or dinner (if you're backpacking). YMMV in the winter time.
The burrito doesn't get soggy using this method?

potato

Post by potato » July 16th, 2013, 2:35 pm

Not a bad article from the Seattle times. Nice to see something every once in a while that is honest enough to leave the question unanswered instead of trying to spin it or answer it in an "interesting" (dramatic) way.

What's most frustrating to me is the lack of good studies for important questions like this.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 16th, 2013, 2:42 pm

"What's most frustrating to me is the lack of good studies for important questions like this."

+n

Like one thing is they have all these studies that say how bad beef is. And then a few fringe studies that say grass fed beef is okay. Does this really make any difference?

But the food manufacturers have tons of money to spend on studies for how to make food more addicitive by adding sugar, salt, and fat even though they must know they are making people unhealthy.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » July 16th, 2013, 3:07 pm

Dang ! I did not even see the person under the ice cave the first time!!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!