2 nights at Ice lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
jgreisel

2 nights at Ice lake

Post by jgreisel » July 11th, 2013, 8:26 am

We wanted to take advantage of a 3 day weekend and do some hiking in Eastern Oregon this past weekend. We left Portland at about 530pm on Friday the 5th and headed towards Wallowa Lake TH. We stopped for about 30 minutes in Pendleton for a bathroom break, some leg stretching and refreshments and got back on the road. Drive on HWY 82, at one point (that seemd like it all happened in slow motion) a moth hoovered in front of the windshield and then a small bat, that was probably getting dinner, smacked into the window. Maybe it was a ginormous bug...at least I can tell myself that, so I dont feel bad for hitting a bat.

We arrived at the trailhead around 1130 pm, set-up the back of the Outback for a good nights sleepWho knew Outbacks came complete with a full-sized bed in the back) and woke-up the next morning all ready to get started on the hardest hike that we have done yet.

We decided to take advantage of the State Park down the road and shower before starting out. We were on the trail at 10am. Somehow, 10 am always seems to be the time we get started on our hikes. It is not intentional, but seems to be the way.

Here is our beginning of the hike shot...
us.JPG
forest sign.JPG
The trail starts out with a steady rise in elevation. It is used by hikers and horses, so there is a lot of dodging horse poop for the first 2.5 miles, until you cross the river onto the Ice Lake trail. The trail runs in and out of the shade, which is nice, considering how hot it gets over there. There were about 3-4 little streams that run across this section of the trail. There were a few times that we had to get over and let some people on horses pass.

You can see the river most of the way.
wallowa river.JPG
At one of the larger streams, we came across a 4 pt buck that was drinking. He looked at us for a few minutes, turned and went down the trail. We slowly went around the corner to see if we could spot him again, but he must have went into the forest.

(Ill add a pic of the buck later)

At about 2.6 miles, and probably 800' EG, you come to the Wallowa river crossing. There is a nice resting place, other than the fact that it smell like horse poo, on the right about 100' before the bridge. The log pile that people were using to cross the river, when the old bridge washed out, is still there.
We sat for about 20' and had some lunch. Little did we know, as we were enjoying the view, of the grueling hike that laid ahead.
Here is the rest stop , old log crossing and you can barely make out Adam creek waterfall(in the middle of the pic near the dead tree)
view of Adam creek water fall from about 5 miles away.jpg
There is a small waterfall in the middle of this pic...that is Adam creek...It drains from Ice Lake
After crossing the new bridge, the trail continues to climb. There are 3 sets of switchbacks in the next 5 miles of trail. The first set contains about 7. There are about a dozen in the second set. This set there are a lot of loose rocks to navigate around. There are a few views of waterfalls along Adam creek.
After the second set, the trail is pretty straight. There is a nice view of the upper Adam creek waterfall that drains from Ice lake. The trail passes through a meadow and there are a lot of views of the Hurwal divide and the other peaks in the area. This is where someone pointed out to us that the waterfall was where we were headed to. Comparing its elevation to the other ridges in the area that we had been looking at when were down lower and wondering how high we were going to get, really put things into perspective. We were already feeling beat and still had the last set of switch backs to go.

Here is a view of the waterfall from the meadow.
ice lake trail between second and third set of switchbacks.JPG
There were about 13 switchbacks in the final set. There were also about 6 blowdowns to navigate around. Of course, the blowdowns appear after your totally pooped and starting to wonder if you can actually make it to your destination. A couple of the blowdowns I had to get on my hands and knee to crawl under and the others were fairly easy to climb over. The last set of switchbacks were long ones.

Just when we thought they were never going to end, they did :) We came to the top of the trail and spotted the lake. I referenced the printout I had from the field guide to see where the chances of finding a camp spot would be. We crossed Adam creek and headed toward the peninsula.
adam creek crossing.JPG
The creek crossing was pretty easy with the logs that people had placed there. The creek itself was rushing and looked maybe thigh deep, so I am glad we didnt have to try to ford it. There was a larger log that was about 10 yards down, but these smaller ones looked easier to cross. The larger one was a nice safety feature, in-case someone falls in, they will be saved from rushing down the creek ;)

We followed the trail around the lake and came to the peninsula. We spotted a group of people camped with about 4 tents. We decided to pick a spot that was just before theirs mostly because we were so pooped, we didnt feel like trying to find another. They were a quite bunch with two cute dogs that were wandering around. I was a little worried, mostly because our little 12 pound chi/iggy mix thinks he is about 10 times larger, but he behaved himself (he was always leased, but sometimes gets leash aggressive when other dogs run up to him). We set-up our tent, rehydrated some dinner and tried to eat. I think we were both to exhausted to eat, but we made ourselves eat as much as we could...mostly cause we knew we needed it.
As we were trying to eat and relax, there were some does that came down to the lake for an evening sip.
deer.JPG
As the sun went down, the massive amount of stars came out. We retired to the tent. I thought about keeping the rain-fly off to enjoy the stars, but to me a rain-fly is like a security blanket...If its on, nothing can get me. I think I would freak out if I woke up in the middle of the night and there was an animal staring at me-even if it was just a deer...
As we dozed off, we heard some howling in the distance...I would like to think it was wolves, but it was probably coyotes.

We woke up on Sunday to another beautiful day. As we were eating breakfast, we noticed the group that was near us seemed to be getting ready to head out. We decided if they left, that we would move down to that spot. There were come nice sitting logs that we wanted to take advantage of.
As the morning went on, we explored the peninsula. There are a lot of camp spots around it, all with varying views of the surrounding peaks.
ice lake with northern peak.JPG
peak to the south.JPG
By lunchtime, the group had left and we moved our camp over. We went down to the lake to filter some water and take in the views.

This is how our dog helped to filter water :)
puppy helping.JPG
Pano from where we got water from
pano.jpg
We only saw 1-2 others that hiked in through the day to camp and a few other day hikers. We spotted about 2-3 groups that hiked along the northern side of the lake, possibly hoping to do the Matterhorn, but about halfway down, there was a snowfield covering the trail. No one attempted to cross it. From where we were, it looked like the trail could possibly be washed out in that section, but it could just be how the snow is covering it.

There was a small snow-pile near out tent that we used to cool our water (and Sofia) in.
cooler.JPG
We enjoyed the day and turned in around 9.
butterfly.JPG
gnarly wood.JPG
Around midnight, I heard some critter(possibly a chipmunk) doing a warning call. About a minute later I saw a flash of light. For a brief moment , my mind freaked out and thought someone is rummaging through our camp and I waited for a zipper to open....But I was relieved to hear a thunderclap. There was an amazing thunder and lightning storm...followed by a good downpour. The storm went on for about an hour. The final thunderclap was a doozie...it shook the ground.

When we woke up in the morning, the ground was dry (the rain-fly was still wet). There were some dark clouds flying by and a few brief drizzles, so we hurried to eat breakfast and took advantage of the moments when there was no drizzle to pack-up.

We were on the trail out by 8am. As head headed out, we made it down the first set of switchbacks in about half the time it took us to get up them. When we cam to the meadow, we noticed that to the right of Adam creek, it look like a flash flood had come through and knocked a bunch of old trees down.
view from meadow.JPG
We continued on. The sky had cleared up and it was getting warm now. We took advantage of the intermittent streams that crossed the trail and cooled off.
There were a few groups of dayhikers headed up the trail as we were headed out. When we got to the rest spot (after crossing the Wallowa river) and group of 3 guys, who were also on their way out, stopped and rested there as well. We were there for about 30 minutes at most, enjoyed an apple and some almond butter, looked up at the little spot that we knew we just came from and continued out.

I thought it was interesting on the way out, when there were a few spots where we gained in elevation, how I didnt remember going down on the way in...

We got back to the car at about 1 and were on the road by 130.
We stopped in Enterprise for a Subway, ate in the car (we had the pooch with us, so we were limited to our dining options).

The drive home was nice. It was great to see the landscape we missed on the way there in the dark. I was so thankful for cruise control. My calves were feeling the hike down we had that day, so it was nice to stretch them as needed.

We stopped in Hood River to stretch our legs, get gas and then continued back to Portland.
It is a great hike and beautiful country. The mosquito's seemed to just be getting started there. We had our bug spray on, but still managed to get a few bites.

I look forward to our next adventure to the East. I think the next time, I might schedule a recovery day off though ;)

For a few more pics, check out my blog: http://cjsjaunts.blogspot.com/2013/07/w ... 3-day.html
Last edited by jgreisel on July 11th, 2013, 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
See more pics on my blog: http://cjsjaunts.blogspot.com/

Helen

Re: 2 nights at Ice lake

Post by Helen » July 11th, 2013, 8:47 am

Great trip report!!! Thank you for posting this. Ice Lake is on my must do list for this year. I've been to the Wallowa River 3 times but have not yet hiked up to Ice Lake.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 11th, 2013, 10:53 am

Thanks for the timely TR. I might try to take an Eagle Cap Wilderness trip next week.

Any intel on the passes?

BTW, super cute how your first picture matches your avatar.

Also, I can relate to the limited dining options when travelling with dogs. They can rarely be left in the car, unless the temperature is low enough to be safe.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

jgreisel

Post by jgreisel » July 11th, 2013, 11:07 am

Born2BBrad wrote:Thanks for the timely TR. I might try to take an Eagle Cap Wilderness trip next week.

Any intel on the passes?

Also, I can relate to the limited dining options when travelling with dogs. They can rarely be left in the car, unless the temperature is low enough to be safe.
Hey Brad,

I think I read in the field guide that no pass is required. There was no signage stating you needed a pass at the TH/parking. We hung our NWFP , just to be safe.
Also, there is a sign in front of the parking that said "Day Use Area" I was a little hesitant to park in front of it (there were a lot of cars) for 2 nights, but we didnt have any tickets when we got back to the are, so I think the sign might be for the park like area behind it...

Whenever hike, it is normally the two of us, so one of us can always wait in the car with the dog and the A/C on, while the other runs in to get something to go...its handy, but normally is some kind of fast food...but hay, we worked our booties off for it :)

jgreisel

Post by jgreisel » July 11th, 2013, 11:09 am

Helen wrote:Great trip report!!! Thank you for posting this. Ice Lake is on my must do list for this year. I've been to the Wallowa River 3 times but have not yet hiked up to Ice Lake.
Helen, It is so beautiful over there!! It just sucks that the drive is so long, or I would check it out more often :) I was surprised by the amount of people at Wallowa lake...it was packed when we drove in to use the showers (which BTW, they only charged us the $2 to use the shower-no day use fee, and they told us we could go ahead and park right by the shower building)

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 11th, 2013, 11:14 am

jgreisel wrote:
Born2BBrad wrote:Thanks for the timely TR. I might try to take an Eagle Cap Wilderness trip next week.

Any intel on the passes?

Hey Brad,

I think I read in the field guide that no pass is required. There was no signage stating you needed a pass at the TH/parking. We hung our NWFP , just to be safe.
Also, there is a sign in front of the parking that said "Day Use Area" I was a little hesitant to park in front of it (there were a lot of cars) for 2 nights, but we didnt have any tickets when we got back to the are, so I think the sign might be for the park like area behind it...

Whenever hike, it is normally the two of us, so one of us can always wait in the car with the dog and the A/C on, while the other runs in to get something to go...its handy, but normally is some kind of fast food...but hay, we worked our booties off for it :)
I just realized I should have been more specific regarding passes. I meant, for example, Glacier Pass or Horton Pass.

Sorry
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

jgreisel

Post by jgreisel » July 11th, 2013, 11:34 am

Born2BBrad wrote:
jgreisel wrote:
Born2BBrad wrote:
I just realized I should have been more specific regarding passes. I meant, for example, Glacier Pass or Horton Pass.

Sorry
Gotcha!! I had checked the Mt Howard SNOTEL before we left and it read 0" of snow...That was the closest, higher elevation data I could find. The ridges in the area all looked like the snow fields were pretty sporadic. I didnt notice any snow along the either of the ridges that the river follows.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 11th, 2013, 11:48 am

jgreisel wrote:Gotcha!! I had checked the Mt Howard SNOTEL before we left and it read 0" of snow...That was the closest, higher elevation data I could find. The ridges in the area all looked like the snow fields were pretty sporadic. I didnt notice any snow along the either of the ridges that the river follows.
Thanks again. I'm thinking that if you began your trip on 7/5/13, by the time I get there on 7/18/13, even more snow would have melted and the passes would be passable for a hiker with my skill level.

Brad
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

moorehiking

Post by moorehiking » July 11th, 2013, 12:37 pm

Curious also about the the melting status in the passes. Gonna be there one week after you Brad. Would like to spend one night at Glacier Lake if the trail allows.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 11th, 2013, 12:50 pm

moorehiking wrote:Curious also about the the melting status in the passes. Gonna be there one week after you Brad. Would like to spend one night at Glacier Lake if the trail allows.
There is a good chance I will do this trip beginning 7/18/13 for 3 nights. If so, I'll post a TR within a couple of days after getting back.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports