Yep. Bears on Mt. Hood

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Double Tree

Yep. Bears on Mt. Hood

Post by Double Tree » July 8th, 2013, 7:22 pm

And I got photos this time! Except, I left them on my computer at work. I'll post them tomorrow.

Got a late start at an impromptu backpack to Lower Twin Lake/PCT loop on Friday, and camped there. Decided to head up the Frog Butte trail since I had a few hours before dark, and was on the trail maybe 20 minutes... and looked up the hill to an adult black bear, a few hundred feet away.

I grabbed my p&s and got off a couple shots, thinking it would high-tail it any time... it wandered a few paces parallel to the trail, then clearly looked at me, entered a sunlight patch and looked again, then turned it's back on me and finally went further up the hill, gone. Yikes. It wasn't scared one bit. So I started to get scared, until it finally left.

I figure it's rather accustomed to people on the trail, and that they don't leave the trail, plus the distance, so it just didn't feel threatened by me.

Anyway, having hit the bear-lottery twice in one week, I kinda figure I won't see another for a decade or so. Critter count: 1 fish, 1 woodpecker, 1 chipmunk, and ONE BEAR!

Kelly
Attachments
20130708 025 (Large).jpg
20130708 028 (Large).jpg
20130708 023 (Large).jpg
20130708 018 (Large).jpg
Last edited by Double Tree on July 9th, 2013, 6:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Splintercat

Re: Yep. Bears on Mt. Hood

Post by Splintercat » July 8th, 2013, 10:27 pm

Alright... let's see those photos, Kelly..! ;)

(thanks for the trip report!)

-Tom :)

Peder

Post by Peder » July 8th, 2013, 10:44 pm

Double Tree wrote:Anyway, having hit the bear-lottery twice in one week, I kinda figure I won't see another for a decade or so. Critter count: 1 fish, 1 woodpecker, 1 chipmunk, and ONE BEAR!
Yes, another decade or so is what can be expected! And TWO bears around here in one week is just like winning the jackpot.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » July 9th, 2013, 6:20 am

Photos posted.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » July 9th, 2013, 7:12 am

Nice! How about a caption?

"Boo-boo... what do you think about that hiker? Is he carrying a pic-a-nic basket..?"

"Uhaahhdunno, Yogi... it looks like a sidearm to me..."

-Tom :)

cfm

Post by cfm » July 9th, 2013, 7:36 am

That bear looks pretty skinny. You probably look tastier than that tree cambium.

Just carefully remove the polymer coating, and eat the meat inside. (bear thought bubble)

raven

Post by raven » July 9th, 2013, 11:29 am

That bear looks thin to me, also.

The part that bothers me is that the bear looked directly at the photographer. Bears see staring as confrontational. They face sideways when not intending to confront and expect to be treated similarly. This one was saying that it was not about to be intimidated. Humans weren't on its menu, but I'm glad it wasn't walking down the trail when someone was walking up the trail.

Helen

Post by Helen » July 9th, 2013, 5:00 pm

Thank you for sharing, Kelly! Did the bear take off and run?

How were the mosquitoes up there?

I am heading to a forest service lookout in Idaho next week. I am hoping to see a bear (from a distance).

Lucky you!!!!

Double Tree

Post by Double Tree » July 9th, 2013, 8:55 pm

Bear did not run. Just turned around and walked off.

Mosquitoes were minimal there, especially away from the lakes. Not bad at all for July.

Yes, lucky me, in a couple ways. Great experience, but as Raven points out, it was lucky he wasn't closer to the trail.

Have a great time Helen :) I understand there's some beautiful country there.

Kelly

Jane

Post by Jane » July 9th, 2013, 10:58 pm

Cool! We saw a young-ish one (maybe a year old?) one on a tree on our Grassy Knoll (WA) hike last week, about 50-60 feet in front of us. He swiveled his attention upon hearing us, then shot off in the brush - no pics, but we were giddy with the sighting at least :)