Grays & Torreys Peaks (Colorado) 07/06/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Grays & Torreys Peaks (Colorado) 07/06/13

Post by Guy » July 8th, 2013, 5:16 pm

Opening pic

I Spent the long July 4th weekend meeting up with two of my old UK high school friends that I have known since 1973 :o .. For the past few years we have all been living in the States & so this has become an annual event. Last year we met up here in Oregon & hiked up McNeil Ridge in the rain :) This year our plan was to climb Grays & Torreys Peaks in Colorado in hopefully better weather!

Grays & Torreys Peaks are 14,278' & 14,270' respectively & can both be climbed on the same 8.5 mile trail which begins at 11,280' (30' higher than the summit of Mt. Hood!).

We spent the night in Keystone about 20 miles away & were out the door at 4:30 & on our way over Loveland Pass. It took about an hour to get to the trailhead, the last 3 miles are on a steep rough rock road. We pulled into the parking lot at about 5:25 & took the last available space. The hundreds of cars that would arrive after us would be parking on the side of the road!

About 5:40am setting out on the trail.

If it wasn't for the altitude this would be an easy hike on a par with doing Table Mountain. However since none of us had hiked much above 12,000' feet before & so not knowing how we would fair, we set a conservative 2 mph pace over the gentle first 1.5 miles.

The Sun came over the ridge at about 6:15

The climbing gets a bit steeper after passing a little creek just shy of the 2 mile mark at about 12000'.

We continued slowly but surely up the ridge.

This rock is called "The Rascal" a great little class 4 climb & photo op for some people but not for any of us on this day :) ..

Image Image

Shortly before reaching the Rascal our friend Charles had been having a harder & harder time with the altitude and at about 13,300' felt he had to stop. He decided to sit where he was for a while & see how he felt after a good rest. Paul & I continued on to the very windy summit of Grays Peak.

Requisit Summit shot!

From here it was down to the Saddle between Grays & Torreys.

Grays - Torreys Saddle 13,700'

Then up the other side again! The Torreys climb was probably the steepest part of the whole hike.

The weather was better on Torreys than it was on Grays though we had been battered most of the way up in gusty winds.

Torreys Peak Summit

Torreys Peak Summit

Once back down in the Saddle we took the connector trail down to the Grays Peak Trail.

Looking back up at Torreys we could see a line of people like ants still making there way up to the Summit!

As we reached the Grays Peak trail junction we saw our friend Charles coming back down towards us, after an hours rest on the side of the trail he had felt well enough to continue his climb & had made it to the Summit of Grays!

Charles on Grays Peak

All that was left now was the hike out to the trailhead.

We arrived back just before 12:30 for a 6 hour round trip of 8.5 miles & about 4000' of EG all happening above the summit of Mt Hood :D ...

Arriving at 5:30am we were by no means early for this hike but we certainly beat the rush! By about 10:00 the trail was swarming with people & cars were parked for probably half a mile down the road from the trailhead.

Also interesting was the number of old mines along the road & trail even up to the 12000' level.

There are also private cabins along the road all the way up to the 11,280' trailhead!

A few more pics of the day here & a map below.

hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

mayhem

Re: Grays & Torreys Peaks (Colorado) 07/06/13

Post by mayhem » July 8th, 2013, 5:24 pm

Guy fun TR ! How in the world did you decide on this hike?
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Guy

Post by Guy » July 8th, 2013, 5:36 pm

Grays & Torreys - The Movie

http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2 ... 55_Bb5qzFh
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » July 9th, 2013, 6:24 am

Great TR! Brings back memories of when we were living in Denver. Did Torreys several times in the Spring via its NE ridge - very nice low-tech snow climb. Did Grays once from the S - no crowds at all from there. Looks like you missed the traditional Colorado afternoon thunderstorms!

Peder

Post by Peder » July 9th, 2013, 7:59 am

Great TR Guy! Convenient to have a trail head at 11,000', that cuts down on amount of hiking.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 9th, 2013, 12:59 pm

That looks really great, Guy! Why don't I live in Colorado? :shock:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

Guy

Post by Guy » July 9th, 2013, 4:05 pm

Thanks Folks!

Bruce, yeah we were really lucky with the weather, lots of Thunderstorms the day before, rained all night & a 40% chance forcast for the day of the climb but we lucked out!

Nat, yeah I was thinking of you as we hiked past the "Rascal" outcrop, you would have been up it in a heartbeat!

Mark, One my buddies lives in Denver so he put the hike together, after the 2 Colorado "Fourteeners" that you can drive up these 2 are the easiest ones to access & hike up & you get to say you hiked 2 mountains over 14,000' in one day :^).

We drove up Mt. Evans the day before & hung out for a while for some altitude acclimatization!
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

acorn woodpecker

Post by acorn woodpecker » July 10th, 2013, 9:53 am

Great TR, Guy! You sure brought back some memories of hiking in the Rockies when I lived in Denver. I do miss those high peaks, particularly this time of year. The drive up to Mt. Evans is quite enjoyable. It's even better in the early or late season when the road is closed, but you can still drive up to Summit Lake and hike to the top from there. A fraction of the people and only 1500 ft or so of climbing. The next easiest fourteener in the area is Mt. Bierstadt from Guanella Pass. It's like doing Torreys and Grays with only one peak (one can connect to Evans, though). The ridge that connects Bierstadt with Evans is exposed and route finding is tricky. Someone has to get rescued on it every year. Thanks for the memories!

Guy

Post by Guy » July 12th, 2013, 3:08 pm

Thanks Ben,

Yeah we enjoyed our drive up Mt. Evans too, a steady stream of cyclist making there way up to the roads end at 14,130'!

Loved the Summit Lake area, wished we'd had more time!

Summit Lake

Summit Lake from the top of Mt. Evans.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

Crusak

Post by Crusak » July 12th, 2013, 9:02 pm

Really cool hike, and seeing your photos brings back memories of my teenage years & living on Colorado (and my first hikes). Seems like the theme here in the replies lol.
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando