PCT-Timberline to Timothy Lake, July 5,6-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
shawjr

PCT-Timberline to Timothy Lake, July 5,6-2013

Post by shawjr » July 7th, 2013, 1:35 pm

Opening picture:

Myself and a couple of buddies have been talking about taking on the Oregon portion of the PCT. I have been doing some work on my mapping program, breaking this up into manageable sections. So far I have broken it up into 14 separate hikes, ranging from 2 day trips to 6 day trips. We have all hiked various portions of the PCT, but we are trying to get more organized to get them all knocked off the bucket list…

Up first was Timberline Lodge to Timothy Lake. This was kind of a spur of the moment trip since we all had a long holiday weekend; we all carved out a couple days to get this one in. The plan was leave one truck at Timberline on Friday morning, and the wives would pick us up at Timothy Lake on Saturday. The girls brought kayaks up to play around in while waiting for us to arrive.

This hike comes in right at 24 miles one way. Elevation gain of 1607’, and a total elevation loss of 4187’

Just to the right of the climbers trail was a small parking lot, this is where we went up to intercept the PCT. The PCT 2000 is just 2/10 mile from the parking lot.

Once on the PCT we were on our way…

Just after we hit the trail the sun started to hit the mountain.

Approaching White River.

Not a lot of grand views below this morning, but it looked pretty cool with the bank of clouds we were headed into.

Looking up White River basin.

One last stop above the clouds for a group shot…

This old tree caught our attention…

More of the mountain…

Saw a couple of deer as we descended into the forest.

Our camp for the night was Seeping Springs Campsite, 15 miles from where we set off. I forgot to get a photo of the spring. All day we had avoided mosquitos but we found them here…

Day 2:
After a full 10 hours of rest we headed off to complete our hike. Next stop was Little Crater Lake, we found a little grassy spot to drop the packs and get some more rest.

Little Crater Lake.

After a short break it was on to Timothy Lake.

Bridge crossing Crater Creek.

First views of Timothy Lake.

We arrived at the lake just before noon; our wives had only been there just a few minutes. We enjoyed a nice lunch with the girls, and kicked back and soaked the feet in the lake while the girls were out paddling around in the kayaks for the next couple of hours.

Well-deserved beverage…

mjirving

Re: PCT-Timberline to Timothy Lake, July 5,6-2013

Post by mjirving » July 7th, 2013, 3:36 pm

Nice job! I'm doing the same thing. I did that section 2 years ago. This year I'm doing a 5-day trip from McKenzie Pass to Shelter Cove on Odell Lake. Can't wait!

-GoalTech

shawjr

Post by shawjr » July 8th, 2013, 7:00 pm

Thanks'

Mj, I look forward to hearing about your trip...

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 9th, 2013, 5:42 pm

My hiking buddy, Hiker Chris, and I are doing something similar. That is doing the Oregon PCT in sections. Two 50 mile segments last year and at least one more this year.

Great TR and pics. Thanks for posting.

Hike on man,
Brad
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

shawjr

Post by shawjr » July 10th, 2013, 6:52 pm

Thanks' Brad

Which 2 sections did you do last year?

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » July 10th, 2013, 7:21 pm

shawjr wrote:Thanks' Brad

Which 2 sections did you do last year?
We first did a section from Barlow Pass to Olallie Lake in 2 days. Then we did a section from Barlow Pass to Cascade Locks in 3 days. Both sections were just over 50 miles. This year we will do the section from either Santiam Pass or Lava Lake to Olallie Lake and maybe the section south of that. That would be about half of Oregon.

I will likely never thru-hike the whole thing in one year - or ever - but it would be nice to do the Oregon and Washington parts.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

xrp

Post by xrp » July 10th, 2013, 7:51 pm

mjirving wrote:Nice job! I'm doing the same thing. I did that section 2 years ago. This year I'm doing a 5-day trip from McKenzie Pass to Shelter Cove on Odell Lake. Can't wait!

-GoalTech
When are you doing this 5 day trip? I'll be lodging with my wife's side of the family at Shelter Cove the last weekend in July through first weekend in August. A buddy of mine and I are going to overnight backpack from Shelter Cove to Summit Lake and back.

mjirving

Post by mjirving » July 11th, 2013, 8:10 am

XRP, 3rd week in August. But ironically enough I will be on the east end Of Odell when you're at Shelter cove on a separate trip. Last year I hiked to the top of Maiden Peak. This year I plan to hike Crescent Lake to Odell via Fawn Lake.

xrp

Post by xrp » July 11th, 2013, 7:15 pm

mjirving wrote:XRP, 3rd week in August. But ironically enough I will be on the east end Of Odell when you're at Shelter cove on a separate trip. Last year I hiked to the top of Maiden Peak. This year I plan to hike Crescent Lake to Odell via Fawn Lake.
Have a great hike! We'll be a little west of you.