July 4'13 Cone Peak Meadow-Iron Mountain Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
fettster

July 4'13 Cone Peak Meadow-Iron Mountain Loop

Post by fettster » July 6th, 2013, 10:11 am

Thursday my friend Andrea, my dog Kodi, and I made the 2+ hour drive to the central Oregon Cascades to hike the Cone Peak-Iron Mountain loop near Santiam Pass. Though I’ve done several other hikes this year, it was exciting heading out for this one as unlike the others this year, this was the first time I’d done this one.

Though my second edition Sullivan hiking book mentions parking at the Cone Peak trailhead pullout along highway 20, we found a sign there that says no parking, so we opted to drive back a bit to intercept the loop at the Tombstone Pass snow-park. In comparison to the hot weather earlier this week, the mid-morning temperature was great!

We enjoyed the trail’s gradual ascent in the forest. It’s a great trail with even and soft stepping and nicely shaded. We soon arrived at the first rock garden with a showcase of flowers basking in the sun. I was excited to see cat’s ear blossoms which I’d only seen a few times before. After getting a bit gaga on the few specimens there we turned the corner and were overwhelmed with a whole small meadow of them. Such a distinctive flower, they’re quite interesting to look at and a fun photo subject.

Larkspur

Cat's Ear

Cone Peak’s slopes, though largely cinder and rock, was awash with early summer flowers. I was especially taken by random swaths of dense, tiny yellow flowers throwing patches of color on the hillsides. I’m not sure what they were.

Cone Peak Meadow

The mystery yellow swath

To the west awaited Iron Mountain with an old knobby stack protruding off its south slope. The area made for a lovely lunch spot. These are the days that seem so very distant when those gray drenching days of January dominate our forecasts.

Come on slow pokes!

Lunch!

Iron Mountain awaits

Kodi with his thicker coat enjoyed any patch of shade he could find.

Gimme some shade!!

The connecting trail from the Cone Peak meadows to Iron Mountain follows along a saddle with a slight dip. As we hiked we heard a noise just off trail to the right. I figured it must have been a snake, but Andrea kept looking and spotted the little fella. His old skin was right nearby. Neat find!

Nothing like some fresh skin!

We finished rounding the base of Iron Mountain and started up the three-quarters mile to the summit, an evenly keeled and switched back approach with great views to the south and plenty of flowers including some new ones not seen earlier on the loop.

Top tier view

The view up top revealed Mt Jefferson, as well as Mt Washington, Three Sisters and a few others. With all the hard work it was time for second lunch.

Andrea points out the loop we've traversed

With our drive back still to be done we made our way the final two miles to complete the loop and return to the car. A great day out in the Oregon Cascades. If you haven’t done this one I’d definitely recommend getting to this part of the state to do it!

Descent

-Fettster

greglief

Re: July 4'13 Cone Peak Meadow-Iron Mountain Loop

Post by greglief » July 6th, 2013, 6:32 pm

Nice photos! Depending upon what time you started your hike, I may have passed you on my way down... I only had time for Cone Peak. The mystery yellow flowers are Mimulus guttatus. I posted a more comprehensive wildflower list at OregonWildflowers.org. In particular, the Paintbrush (Castilleja hispida), Cat's Ear (Calochortus subalpinus), and Larkspur (Delphinium menziesii) made for quite a patriotic display. :D

Rather than submitting a full (and redundant) trip report, I will simply add a few photos:

I am nearly always greeted by tiger lilies (Lilium columbianum) when I do this hike. Check out the stamens on the top one!
Cone_Peak_Tiger_Lilies_04Jul2013.jpg
Red (paintbrush), White (cat's ear), and Blue (larkspur)
Cone_Peak_meadows_2_04Jlu2013.jpg
Iron Mountain from the Cone Peak trail
Iron_Mountain_from_Cone_Peak_meadows_04Jul2013.jpg
The wildflowers should look great for at least another 1-2 weeks.

Greg

fettster

Post by fettster » July 7th, 2013, 9:13 pm

greglief wrote:Nice photos! Depending upon what time you started your hike, I may have passed you on my way down... I only had time for Cone Peak.

I am nearly always greeted by tiger lilies (Lilium columbianum) when I do this hike. Check out the stamens on the top one!
Thanks for the ID help! The lighting does look really similar in our photos, seems we very well may have crossed paths. If anything you probably remember seeing my dog.

Cool stamens on that one. Going big I guess huh?

Have you ever snowshoed up to the meadow area in the winter? I was just thinking I bet the view is pretty in the snow, and the mileage wouldn't be too awful bad coming from Tombstone Pass.

greglief

Post by greglief » July 8th, 2013, 5:21 am

I passed a number of people on my way down so I do not remember all the faces, but I am fairly certain that I remember Kodi. :)

Thus far I have not snowshoed that trail. But I agree with you that the views would be quite nice.

Greg

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 8th, 2013, 5:30 am

That's funny, I often remember dogs better than humans also :)