Loowit Trail: 6/30-7/2

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
awildman

Loowit Trail: 6/30-7/2

Post by awildman » July 2nd, 2013, 9:12 pm

Hiking the 30-mile Loowit Trail in the heat and humidity admittedly wasn't my finest trip planning moment, but we had chosen these dates earlier this spring with out-of-town guests and had no idea that we'd have mid-summer conditions in late June. Instead of bailing, we prepared for the weather and ended up with a hot but delightful 2-night, 3-day hike around Mt. St. Helens. We didn't plan our matching outfits; that's just our good taste talking.

matchy-match (photo: S.B.)

We started from the June Lake TH on Sunday morning and hiked clockwise, spending nights on Crescent Ridge and the Plains of Abraham (awesome sunsets/sunrises). Edit: MSH is a National Volcanic Monument; you will need a Forest Pass to park at June Lake (or one of their specific Volcano Passes). No other permitting or registration is needed to hike the Loowit, which stays below 5,000' the entire time. The only limitation is that you can't camp in the "blast zone", which encompasses all of the area on the north side of the mountain (from Toutle to Windy Pass).

We ran into three other backpacking groups on Sunday, two traveling in the opposite direction, but no others after. There were good clear water sources along the way thanks to the rapidly melting snowpack, but a lot of the main drainages were very silty and unfilterable. The troublesome washouts west of Sheep Canyon and in the Toutle drainage were a lot easier to navigate than in years' past. The shute on the north side of the Toutle now has a rope to help with the ascent/descent (yay!).

a new rope makes climbing out of the Toutle a million times easier. Thank you, Rope Fairy!

climbing out of the Muddy Fork canyon

typical drainage crossing

eastern Worm Flows

climbing out of the Toutle canyon

heading to Windy Pass

While there were nice displays of heather, penstemmon, buckwheat, and indian paintbrush on the north and east sides of the mountain, the beargrass was the clear favorite. It's a good bloom year on certain aspects, particularly near Monitor Ridge, the east Worm Flows, Crescent Ridge, and in the lava just above June Lake.

beargrass near Monitor Ridge

beargrass and Mt. Adams

beargrass explosion on the east side

The lupine is another couple of weeks out, especially on the Plains of Abraham. The southwest side is just melting out and still looks very spring-like.

We planned to cross the Toutle in the morning to avoid a difficult crossing, but that meant wading chocolately roiling drainages from the crater in the afternoon. Three out of four hikers got whacked in the ankles with boulders that were being swept through the channel.

you could hear the boulders tumbling through the water

crossing the S. Fork Toutle was no problem as a wet crossing

I was concerned that we would run into some challenging snow crossings on the west side, but most of the major snow has now melted out and will be fully melted out in another week or so. The trouble will be with post-holing in the lava fields or losing the trail heading up to Monitor Ridge. The real challenge was dealing with the heat and lack of shade. We made good use of all of the waterfalls along the way (minus Loowit Falls), the few trees, and the residual snowpack. And cool, water-saturated logs.

best. saturated. log. ever. (photo: S.B.)

The best part of the trip for me (apart from that log hug above) was watching four mountain goats wander around above Crescent Ridge. We watched them saunter over to the ridge between the drainages of the Toutle canyon and fuss about in the dirt. I didn't bring a high-quality camera with me (or even a camera with a fully-charged battery), so I did not get any photos of them. I did not know that goats lived on Mt. St. Helens proper and was super stoked to see them. We fell asleep that night to the barks and grunts of some elk, who were no doubt irritated that we were camping in their living room, but we didn't see any during the day.

Each time I hike around MSH on the Loowit Trail, I fall in love with it a little more. It's hot and dirty and austere and unrelenting, but it's got fantastic character, interesting terrain, and an awesome history. I'm looking forward to hiking a few sections in a couple weeks to check on the lupine and the strawberry crop, which looks to be a banner year.

Thanks to Peder, who sent me the GPS track, which, fortunately, we did not need.
Last edited by awildman on July 3rd, 2013, 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rambling on at Allison Outside

Ryan Ojerio

Re: Loowit Trail: 6/30-7/2

Post by Ryan Ojerio » July 2nd, 2013, 10:15 pm

thanks for the early season trip report. Regarding the S. Fork Toutle, Craig Romano (the Guidebook Author) suggested to me a Sand Ladder similar to the ones on the Olympic National Park Coast. I passed on the idea to the recreation staff at the Monument and they were going to look into it. Last I heard about a month ago they thought they might be able to buy one and have it installed this year.
Washington Trails Association
Southwest Washington Regional Manager
[email protected]
(360) 722-2657

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 3rd, 2013, 5:54 am

Great report, Allison! This loop's definitely one I want to do this summer. I know the sound of those boulders in the riverbed! Heard them all too well on the Sandy the other day. Nasty when you can't see 'em coming. Curious whether you're using one pair of shoes to make crossings with and another for hiking, or just plunging through in the same pair?
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

awildman

Post by awildman » July 3rd, 2013, 6:48 am

Ryan Ojerio wrote:thanks for the early season trip report. Regarding the S. Fork Toutle, Craig Romano (the Guidebook Author) suggested to me a Sand Ladder similar to the ones on the Olympic National Park Coast. I passed on the idea to the recreation staff at the Monument and they were going to look into it. Last I heard about a month ago they thought they might be able to buy one and have it installed this year.
The rope is a good DIY solution, but a properly anchored sand ladder would be excellent here.
kepPNW wrote: Curious whether you're using one pair of shoes to make crossings with and another for hiking, or just plunging through in the same pair?
We carried water shoes / camp shoes in anticipation of the wet crossings. Mine are a very inexpensive pair of Croc knock-offs. You could certainly use the same shoes; it was just a matter of overall comfort for us, since we also used them around camp.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 3rd, 2013, 8:15 am

awildman wrote:
kepPNW wrote: Curious whether you're using one pair of shoes to make crossings with and another for hiking, or just plunging through in the same pair?
We carried water shoes / camp shoes in anticipation of the wet crossings. Mine are a very inexpensive pair of Croc knock-offs. You could certainly use the same shoes; it was just a matter of overall comfort for us, since we also used them around camp.
Yeah, I keep hearing folks crossing in their trail shoes, but I'd think - particularly in the pumice plain - that'd just be an invitation to supreme abrasion down the trail. Crocs are good and light!
Karl

aircooled

Post by aircooled » July 3rd, 2013, 8:58 am

Many thanks for this great TR! We were planning to head for the North Sisters loop this long weekend but heard the skeeters were insanely bad, so we'll be doing the Loowit!

awildman

Post by awildman » July 3rd, 2013, 9:31 am

kepPNW wrote:Yeah, I keep hearing folks crossing in their trail shoes, but I'd think - particularly in the pumice plain - that'd just be an invitation to supreme abrasion down the trail. Crocs are good and light!
Indeed! Everything becomes very gritty after a while. We joked that walking around the Loowit is just a cheap day at the spa with exfoliation treatments. :)

awildman

Post by awildman » July 3rd, 2013, 9:34 am

aircooled wrote:Many thanks for this great TR! We were planning to head for the North Sisters loop this long weekend but heard the skeeters were insanely bad, so we'll be doing the Loowit!
Nice! There are some biting flies (black flies, deer flies), but we had a pretty good breeze the whole time, which beat them down a bit. I was expecting worse.

aircooled

Post by aircooled » July 3rd, 2013, 10:59 am

FWIW , I always carry a pair of cheap croc knockoffs as camp shoes and for stream crossings. I've removed the straps to save weight. (Well, ok, one came off, but it does save weight!) Another technique is to wear socks and slip your boot insoles into them first to protect the feet. Then clip wet socks to backpack with a safety pin to dry and wear your other pair of dry socks.

Crocs won't do anything for ankle protection. I was planning to wear the crocs, roll my gaiters around my ankles and block as best I can with trek poles.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » July 3rd, 2013, 11:12 am

Good ideas, Jeff. I have both (fake) Crocs and a pair of water moccasins, either of which would probably work. The Crocs are probably lighter, but bulkier. The mocs might stay on a bit better. This makes sense to me, but will probably really irritate anyone along who just plows through without a care... :)

But enough of this thread-jack! Back to the marvelous loop! I'm just so happy to see it's fully accessible now, and need to get back up there soon.
Karl