Wapiki Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Wapiki Lake

Post by drm » June 30th, 2013, 6:48 am

I hiked up to Wapiki Lake (last 3/4 mile in snowshoes) in the Indian Heaven Wilderness. It was 94 when I left home and 77 at the trailhead, so fairly comfortable. Got the nice campsite in the melted out peninsula.

Wapiki Lake is the highest altitude (5200) of the major Indian Heaven lakes and the mosquitoes get there later than at other places like Thomas Lake.

So while there were some mosquitoes at the trailhead and the lower trail, there were none at the lake. There were flies and some other black and yellow striped insect, but for the most part they were not biting. I was able to site out next to the lake in shorts and shirtless and got a grand total of one fly bite. But they buzzed around my head a lot.

I took snowshoes and used them. It would be possible to get there without (there were boot tracks), but the claws were convenient and let me
walk without worrying about kicking steps into the snow slopes.

I considered climbing up the slope on the west side of the lake to check out Lemei Rocks, but that slope was a lot steeper and your correspondent's
motivation was not up to that steepness.

Lowland forest near the start of the trail. Notice the black ring painted around the trees. There were many of these - a mystery.

The ground was mostly snow-covered by the time I reached the junction where the spur heads left to the lake

Lake view from camp that afternoon

and the next morning

The lake is still majority covered with snow

Camp

Lakeside dining

The sunset was spectacular

And reflected off the lake

It's only 3.5 miles to this lake and if I had headed straight home, it would have been the peak heat, so I decided to stop by
the remote Little Huckleberry Mountain. It's a steep 2.25 miles to the summit where there once was a lookout

Good view of the Big Lava Bed

Hood, which looks like it wants to blow

and Saint Helens peaking out

Splintercat

Re: Wapiki Lake

Post by Splintercat » July 8th, 2013, 10:16 pm

Thanks for posting, Dean - just ran across this! That's a lot of snow for late June, but I'll bet it's going fast, now... bring on the bugs..! :x I've been eaten alive a couple of times in Indian Heaven, so have pretty much made that an autumn hiking destination.

AWESOME sunset shows, BTW -- those are really nice! Much better than reality TV for bedtime viewing! :D

-Tom :)

Peder

Re: Wapiki Lake

Post by Peder » July 9th, 2013, 8:02 am

drm wrote: Lakeside dining
Some people know how to enjoy life! :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…