Soda Peaks Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Soda Peaks Lake

Post by drm » June 5th, 2013, 10:31 am

Did a quick overnighter to Soda Peaks Lake in the Trapper Creek Wilderness from the lower end. Only a very few patches of snow just before the lake going up. But going above the lake to the ridge towards the back-side trailhead, you hit full snow within 10 minutes of the lake. So that route needs at least a week to substantially melt out.

The big news is that the trailhead for the lower route is no longer Iron Mike. That trail is closed and the route now reverts back to what it was a few years ago: start at the Trapper Creek trailhead and turn left at the trail 133 junction. There is even a brand spanking new bridge across Trapper Creek for the #133:

Trapper Creek from the bridge

There was no sign that the old trailhead was gone and you should go the other way. All indications of the trailhead and trail were taken out at the old trailhead, but it wasn't till I saw the actual trail start that I got the idea

But this is down the road a bit from the parking spot so I was committed at that point and it was only a half mile to get to join the actual trail, so I soldiered on through the devils club and around fallen trees so large they seemingly would have killed all the dinosaurs when they fell. I came out the other way and found the bridge.

The trail is logged out most of the way. Once you reach the top of the ridge, there was still some blockages. I threw lots of stuff off the trail and even brought my handsaw to cut one small one away. There was one large tree across the trail mere yards from the lake. I got a start on it.

The old large camp that the trail goes through is now closed to camping

But I found a nice spot

I did my duty with my food. Look closely for my orange food bag hanging here

Nice shots of the lake

The sun setting on Soda Peak

aircooled

Re: Soda Peaks Lake

Post by aircooled » June 5th, 2013, 12:24 pm

Thanks for the TR and pix and for getting a start on the blowdown. I've been thinking about Soda Peaks Lake for a while now and was curious about snow levels.

VanMarmot

Post by VanMarmot » June 5th, 2013, 2:14 pm

Thanks for the informative TR! Finally - a new bridge on the 133 - who would have guessed? So much better than trying to follow the deteriorating old trail up from Iron Mike. Looks like a new "No Camping" sign at the lake too.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » June 5th, 2013, 4:27 pm

Thanks for the report, Dean! I guess I can update the Field Guide now. Can I use your picture of the new bridge?

drm

Post by drm » June 6th, 2013, 6:58 am

bobcat wrote:Thanks for the report, Dean! I guess I can update the Field Guide now. Can I use your picture of the new bridge?
Of course, always ready for ph.org to make me famous. I even started taking some photos of the Iron Mike TH for your page, but now they are moot.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » June 6th, 2013, 7:15 am

Nice! This is a spot I haven't been to before, although it's been on my to-hike list for awhile. Maybe this year! :D