Herman Ck to Tomlike Mtn

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Herman Ck to Tomlike Mtn

Post by drm » June 2nd, 2013, 7:06 pm

I backpacked up to Noble Camp on Herman Creek on Saturday and dayhiked from camp to Tomlike Mtn that afternoon. It was sunny and warm on me most of the time, though the volcanoes were mostly swathed in clouds. It was quite a day for Portlandhikers as I saw the loony group doing the loop at the Tomlike turnoff and then Sean and Joey were camped out towards the summit. There were patches of snow, one a couple hundred yards long, and really no more than that.

A huge tree fell across the trail. It's a bit of a nuisance to get around. Somebody should take their handsaw up and get started.

Camp next to Herman Ck. It's already getting small.

Odd fungus near camp

Looking at the unmarked turnoff to Tomlike. The route behind me is coming from Wahtum Lake. Herman Creek goes right here and Tomlike is straight ahead. Note the rock cairn

Approaching the top of Tomlike along the ridge

Looking down at Mud Lake

Getting closer

Looking back at Mt Hood in the clouds and south along the ridge from the top. It was breezy but not too bad when the sun was out.

Mt Saint Helens barely fit below the cloud ceiling

Sean and Joey were camped out there and I think this is Joey

mandrake

Re: Herman Ck to Tomlike Mtn

Post by mandrake » June 2nd, 2013, 7:17 pm

Last edited by mandrake on May 25th, 2017, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

drm

Post by drm » June 2nd, 2013, 7:19 pm

mandrake wrote:Must have just missed you, drm... I did a direct ascent up Woolly Horn to the summit from the confluence.
I got to the top of Tomlike at 3:50.
mandrake wrote:Quite a lot of folks out there this weekend. There was a big crew camping near the Casey Creek jct.
But Cedar Swamp was almost empty. Odd for a nice wekend.

redaragorn

Post by redaragorn » June 2nd, 2013, 8:19 pm

Was great to meet/run into you out there, drm. Glad to hear your trip up Tomlike was fun. We finished our long loop and had a fun day ourselves, too!

-Tom

Peder

Post by Peder » June 3rd, 2013, 6:55 am

Dean - I loved the picture of you and Sean in matching colored shirts (seen in Sean's TR)! Great pictures.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

obera

Post by obera » June 3rd, 2013, 6:58 am

It was great to meet you drm! Love the pictures. :) I'm inspired to explore Tomlike Mountain after this weekend!
oh-beer-ah

drm

Post by drm » June 3rd, 2013, 6:59 am

Peder wrote:Dean - I loved the picture of you and Sean in matching colored shirts (seen in Sean's TR)! Great pictures.
Though Sean had a better excuse for the eye-shocking color than I did as it was a Herman somethingorother shirt and I was just plain gaudy. I suppose I need to think more about style when hiking :lol: Nah

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » June 3rd, 2013, 8:07 pm

It was awesome seeing you up there and thanks for the weather tips, drm. I knew our somewhat matching orange shirts would please Peder and his color coordinated tarps.

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » June 3rd, 2013, 9:40 pm

It was great to run into you on the south side. And Sean, and jojomachine. What a great trail family here,.

Love the mud lake shot. Between this and Seans TRs on Tomlike, it is on my summer list.