Augspurger Mountain, 31-May-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Augspurger Mountain, 31-May-2013

Post by kepPNW » June 2nd, 2013, 6:54 pm

Had a great little adventure over to Augspurger Mountain on Friday! I'd never been any closer than the junction at the north end of the Dog loop, and Born2BBrad needed something to do and graciously agreed to coming along with me. His two dogs added a lot of spice to the trip, and probably made sure we didn't encounter the bear in our midst. Gotta say, I don't recall hiking with two better trail dogs before. Here they all are, at the first opening below the summit (north side) of Augspurger.

We continued on another 1/4 mile or so, nearly bushwhacking, over to that next knob in the foreground.

The view from there was just awesome! I don't recall many TRs reporting just how great, actually. More on that below.

We went up the "less difficult" outer trail to Puppy Dog, but then bypassed the actual run to the summit, instead just continuing north towards Augspurger. Even though it was a Friday, by the time we'd arrived at the trailhead (about 9am) almost the entire "first row" of parking was consumed. We parked at the western end of the lot. I won't say it was a highway up to Dog, but we did cross paths with a good number of folks, and the last run from Puppy Dog up was a steady stream.

We were on the dividing line of sun/clouds at first. Pretty cloudy back in the Table Mtn area.

The balsamroot is still out, but definitely past peak. Indian paintbrush and lupine is strong, though.

Balsamroot is best used as part of the background, at this point, while trying to capture something else of interest.

Buddy, Brad, and Timmy. Great hiking partners! This is a very dry trail, so the dogs got treated to Brad's water most of the way.

Dog Freeway! Steady stream of folks very noticeable once we got out of the trees.

Once we passed the summit trail, we hardly saw anyone. I think one group ascending Dog in a clockwise route, and then a few groups of one or two folks as we meandered over to Augspurger.

Buddy and Timmy "got it" when Brad told them to stay behind him. Amazing. Didn't bother a soul.

Just doin' what a bee's gotta do...

At about the 3.9 mile mark, we hit the junction for Augspurger. The trail north of here was much less maintained.

Very curious what sort of trail marker this might be? We only saw one of them.

At about 4.5 miles, the trail hits an old jeep trail. There are some big sticks across the road to the left, which hint you should turn right here. Nothing much else, other than knowing which way to go, though. A bit farther down the road, at about 4.9 miles, you hit a powerline corridor. Here it can get confusing! If you use the NWTopos map on your GPS, you'd be inclined to think you should turn left and follow the powerlines uphill. Don't Do That! Just follow the road across the clearing, and into the woods on the other side. Some ways farther into the woods, a fairly well marked trail cuts off to the right.

I was enthralled by the forest on Augspurger. Much of it seemed to have never been harvested.

We took a break to enjoy a view made possible by the powerlines, when we re-encountered them.

From our break spot, we could see the backside of Dog, with Hood and Defiance across the river. Great cell coverage here!

Got a good shot of the outcropping over on the trail up Wind, too. Be sure to explore it, next time you're there!

Hi!

As we were closing in on the final push up Augspurger, we came across a series of totally thrashed giant anthills! I mean, they were just ripped apart! :o The ants were going batsh~t crazy. A very fresh calling card was left. We were not alone, and Timmy knew it.

One of at least a half dozen totally destroyed anthills.

Closer view. 10s of 1000s of ants were totally freaked out. Had to keep the dogs away!

Another one of the anthills, this one apparently built around an old stump.

No question "whodunnit?" here! Timmy was on high alert.

Augspurger Summit! Such a fancy marker for a place not quite as dramatic as Devil's Rest.

There was a clearing a bit north of the summit that offered a views, mostly to the north, sweeping from about Silver Star over to Mt Adams. We saw a knoll not too far ahead, and decided to head for that to see if we might get a bit better view. We were not disappointed!

Well, it would've been even more stellar had clouds not blocked some of the biggies. We could clearly see the lower flanks of Mt Adams, and knew exactly where Mt Rainier was even if we didn't get all that great a shot of it. Mt St Helens poked through the clouds more often than not. And lesser peaks to the north were abundant. Table, Silver Star, Big Huckleberry, Little Huckleberry, the cinder cone responsible for Big Lava Flow, and many more.

We could see west to Portland through the gorge, including a wonderful perspective on the landslide that gave rise to the Bridge of the Gods legend. To the north, Mt Hood and Defiance were a strong presence. (Great cell coverage here, too!) And to the east, the Hood River bridge, the towns of Hood River and The Dalles, Stacker Butte, The Dalles Mountain, and much more. Even the windmills!

I guess I'm saying, why hasn't anyone every ooooh'd and aaaahhh'd over the views here before? Were we supposed to keep this a secret? Amazing... :D

Mount Adams

Big Lava Flow's cinder cone

Mt St Helens, Big Huckleberry, and Grassy Knoll

Mount Hood and Mount Defiance

Mt St Helens to Mt Adams, with Rainier just to the left of Little Huckleberry; Indian Heaven just beyond the cindercone.

On the return trip, we noticed something we hadn't on the way in. There was an opening in which a good number of trees, perhaps 8 or 10, had apparently been killed on purpose. They all had chainsaw cuts encircling their trunks about 3' off the ground. Most were now dead, but a few were still alive. :?

Why would someone do this? This was a bit disturbing.

All the dead trees in this shot, as well as the live ones in the center, were cut.

I hiked the first half in shorts. But decided to convert back to long pants for the return! There were definitely portions where this was far more comfortable. In particular, large fields of salmonberry and other prickly things.

Long pants helped on the Augspurger portion of the hike!

Can you see Buddy and Brad?

Well, just a few more shots along the return journey...

Flowers on Augspurger were really just starting to pop. This one intrigued me greatly.

The clouds had really blown away, and the temps were rising, on our return!

More microscopic wildlife. This group of beetles had something truly disgusting to party on.

Even Buddy had to stop and take a good look at this Swallowtail!

Maybe my favorite shot of the day. :)

Final stats were about 14.5-16.5 miles (clean track vs dirty track vs Trip Computer) and 5700' EG.

Right-click, View Image, for full-sized map.

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=2457&w=645&h=440
Don't use NWTopos/NWTrails for this! Snag my track from gpsfly, or at least study how it crosses the powerlines.

Thanks again, Brad, for coming along, and being such great company.

It truly was another fabulous day in the woods!!!

Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Eric Peterson

Re: Augspurger Mountain, 31-May-2013

Post by Eric Peterson » June 2nd, 2013, 8:05 pm

Did Buddy get a dog pack full of rocks?

vibramhead

Post by vibramhead » June 2nd, 2013, 8:13 pm

Excellent report, Karl! I noticed all those girdled trees near the top of Augsberger when I hiked it a couple of weeks ago. My theory was that some local forester did it to keep the views open in that meadow.
Time spent hiking will not be deducted from your life.

GPS tracks on Wikiloc.

Born2BBrad

Post by Born2BBrad » June 2nd, 2013, 8:52 pm

Wow! great pictures Karl! They really show what the trails were like. They are amazingly clear, especially since you can't see if they are in focus while taking them without glasses. We'll have to get over to Cook Hill one of these times, maybe doing the VanMarmot route.
Eric Peterson wrote:Did Buddy get a dog pack full of rocks?
That is so funny you remember that :lol:
And yes, I did have to use some rocks to balance the load. Next time I'll make him carry some of his own water.
Make now always the most precious time. Now will never come again.
- Jean Luc Picard

Link to GPX tracks
Link to Trip Reports

mjirving

Post by mjirving » June 2nd, 2013, 9:08 pm

I liked your "Devil's Rest" comment. I hiked there last year and was like...is this it??? :-)

-GoalTech

Crusak

Post by Crusak » June 2nd, 2013, 10:00 pm

Best way to spend a Friday. :). Great report. Some great pictures too. I like the shot of Hood/ Defiance and the butterfly shots.

The torn up anthills and fresh scat added some extra kick to the day!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mayhem

Post by mayhem » June 2nd, 2013, 10:26 pm

kepPNW wrote:
Can you see Buddy and Brad?
This is where the imagination would run wild about bears :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 3rd, 2013, 6:01 am

vibramhead wrote:Excellent report, Karl! I noticed all those girdled trees near the top of Augsberger when I hiked it a couple of weeks ago. My theory was that some local forester did it to keep the views open in that meadow.
Girdled! That was the word that wouldn't come to me, thanks.

But y'know, I can't recall any views, to speak of, there. Just seemed so darned malicious. Seems it must've happened a good time ago, given "how dead" some of those trees were. Maybe the ones that weren't had somehow managed to survive that abuse, and aren't going to succumb?
Born2BBrad wrote:Wow! great pictures Karl! They really show what the trails were like. They are amazingly clear, especially since you can't see if they are in focus while taking them without glasses. We'll have to get over to Cook Hill one of these times, maybe doing the VanMarmot route.
Thanks, Brad! I'm experimented with Flickr on this TR, and so far am not altogether displeased with it. All the better shots are are here, if anyone cares to see more. The only thing I've found that really bites about that site is that IE10 can't cope at all there - it has to be put in IE9 compatibility mode to begin to function correctly.

I would like to do that bigger loop, yeah! I think Guy was calling it a C.A.D. loop in his report on Cook. Those would be just awesome horizons, to the north, without the clouds!
mjirving wrote:I liked your "Devil's Rest" comment. I hiked there last year and was like...is this it??? :-)
Heh, the summit of Augspurger is all that, and less! :lol: Be sure to keep going past it, should you head up there. :)
Crusak wrote:Best way to spend a Friday. :). Great report. Some great pictures too. I like the shot of Hood/ Defiance and the butterfly shots.

The torn up anthills and fresh scat added some extra kick to the day!
Thanks! Yeah, hard to beat a Friday like that, no doubt. Really was surprised how populated the Dog trail was for a weekday, though. It felt good to get past it. (By the time we got back to the TH, around 6:30pm, there were only about 3 or 4 cars left.)
mayhem wrote:This is where the imagination would run wild about bears :)
Heh, and there were lots of brushy stretches like that! Particularly, up where the bear sign was! :mrgreen:

Probably should've mentioned in the main report, the poison oak is all over at lower levels on Dog! In places on the final return, it was actually growing across the trail. Heads up!
Karl

wraithevolution

Post by wraithevolution » June 3rd, 2013, 6:04 am

This is hopefully my next hike, I've been there a bunch of times and the bear scat really wears on my nerves! How was the end of the hike? Overgrown with thicket? Great trip report, love all the pics!
A man is defined by his actions in life and by the well being of those directly effected by these actions.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » June 3rd, 2013, 6:14 am

wraithevolution wrote:This is hopefully my next hike, I've been there a bunch of times and the bear scat really wears on my nerves! How was the end of the hike? Overgrown with thicket? Great trip report, love all the pics!
Thanks! Yeah, it was pretty overgrown in places for the last mile or two. As I said, I had shorts on, and zipped-on the long legs for the return trip. Another guy we ran into even suggested long sleeves, but we didn't resort to that. We also went to the next knob beyond what seemed to be the normal "end" of the hike, and it got really overgrown, to the point you often couldn't see your feet or the trail, at that point! (Definitely worth it, for the better views, though!) I knew that with two dogs along, we wouldn't be so lucky as to actually run into the bear(s). :)
Karl