Trillium Lake 5/25/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Stevefromdodge

Trillium Lake 5/25/13

Post by Stevefromdodge » May 27th, 2013, 7:39 pm

We drove the traditional Mt Hood loop on Saturday, from Vancouver to Hood River up the Mt Hood and back on Highway 26. On the way, we hiked Mitchell Point and the loop around Trillium Lake.

There were a lot of flowers blooming at Trillium Lake, but most were showing the effects of the recent late snowfall.

Anemones (the usual white and blue, as well as odd pink ones):

Red currant

Marsh Marigolds

I've never seem trilliums like these. All trilliums fade from white to purple, but these veined looks were new to me. I suspect it is do to freezing.

The loop was very relaxed and quiet.

The highlight of the trip was definitely a pair of bald eagles. When we started the loop, they were in a tree on the west side of the lake.

Soon, they both took to the air and playfully sparred with each other.

Eventually the flew off to the south, but when we completed the hike, they were right back in the same tree.

Here, I suppose, I'm just showing off my new camera

Several cars had "courtesy warnings" asking people to buy the $5 pass. No one seemed to be cited, but I don't doubt they will start soon.

Splintercat

Re: Trillium Lake 5/25/13

Post by Splintercat » May 27th, 2013, 8:28 pm

Wow! Amazing eagle photos, Steve -- your new camera is serving you well! As for those courtesy warnings..? Ha! Like I'm going to pay heed to a Forest Service concessionaire... why start now, after all..?

Tom :D