Rudolph Spur with a loony - how not to spend a day on trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Limey

Re: Rudolph Spur with a loony - how not to spend a day on tr

Post by Limey » May 27th, 2013, 3:56 pm

Great TR Gregg. Reminds me of some of the things I've done, except mine were self inflicted. A few years ago I had a sole split and flap in the wind during a high stepping bushwhack. Fortunately we did have duct tape and I just kept re-applying it over the ensuing 3 days. Since I'm hard to fit for boots, I was devastated. I went all over trying to find new boots. Got a pair, wore them once and returned them. Next I tried to get them resoled. Nobody in Portland could do it. Then I found Dave Page Cobbler online. Called him and sent pictures of the damage. He said send them to him. The guy is a genius I'm sure he can probably fix Keikos boot. His address is 3509 Evanston Ave. N., Seattle Wa. Can't remember the zip. Phone 206-632-8686. I highly recommend him. Good luck.

Marilyn

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » May 27th, 2013, 3:57 pm

Cool TR, Greggle. Guy is a beast and hard to follow!

hike4fun

Post by hike4fun » May 27th, 2013, 7:28 pm

Lol! :-) I've hiked with Guy...I get it! :-) Such an awesome accomplishment and a fun adventure you'll always remember. And over time it's like child birth. You'll start to forget the pain...til the next hike! Great job everyone.
Rachelle

"What's with all these drinkers with hiking problems?"

Peder

Post by Peder » May 28th, 2013, 5:57 pm

Gregg - That is a hilarious trip report! Thank you. Regarding Guy, I suggest pointing out a suitable photographic target as you are leaving the car:

- “Guy, isn’t the light great on that waterfall?”

As Guy dashes off to photograph, place a suitable number of rocks at the bottom of his pack. If Guy is still too fast on the trail, distract him with another scenic vista, and adjust the number of rocks in the pack. If Guy complains about his pack, just remind him that he is a wise and well prepared hiker ready for any emergency. Back at the car, you must exclaim:

- “Samuel Lancaster really outdid himself with that bridge!”

As Guy runs off with his camera, you can remove all evidence of your subterfuge. ;)
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » May 28th, 2013, 6:11 pm

Peder wrote:Gregg - That is a hilarious trip report! Thank you. Regarding Guy, I suggest pointing out a suitable photographic target as you are leaving the car:

- “Guy, isn’t the light great on that waterfall?”

As Guy dashes off to photograph, place a suitable number of rocks at the bottom of his pack. If Guy is still too fast on the trail, distract him with another scenic vista, and adjust the number of rocks in the pack. If Guy complains about his pack, just remind him that he is a wise and well prepared hiker ready for any emergency. Back at the car, you must exclaim:

- “Samuel Lancaster really outdid himself with that bridge!”

As Guy runs off with his camera, you can remove all evidence of your subterfuge. ;)

LOL!! :D :D :D Be careful Peder......
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

hike4fun

Post by hike4fun » May 28th, 2013, 6:17 pm

Omg! PH really needs to come up with a 'like' feature! Peder...I am dying! And so doing that yhe next time I hike with Cascade Hiker. Shhh...don't tell him. ;-)
Rachelle

"What's with all these drinkers with hiking problems?"

discodan7700

Post by discodan7700 » May 28th, 2013, 8:10 pm

Thank you so much.

I'm studying the map, someday.. bayyyyybee

romann

Post by romann » May 28th, 2013, 10:38 pm

Guy assured us it was 'about 2 miles' and wasn't a whole lot worse than other hikes we as a group have done.
This had to be a fair warning ;)

Awesome story, and photos. I need to save the link to report & the map (and bring a spare pair of boots), there's some neat views from that 'trail'.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 29th, 2013, 5:57 am

romann wrote:
Guy assured us it was 'about 2 miles' and wasn't a whole lot worse than other hikes we as a group have done.
This had to be a fair warning ;)
Heh, it's like wandering off-trail with EP! "It's just another 200' this way, guys!" :lol:
Karl
Back on the trail, again...