Siouxon Creek, Horseshoe Ridge, Chinook and Wildcat Falls

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Siouxon Creek, Horseshoe Ridge, Chinook and Wildcat Falls

Post by bobcat » May 22nd, 2013, 3:45 pm

Inspired, perhaps, by a couple of recent TRs, I headed out to the Siouxon area for a large part of my Sunday. Clouds were low on the ridges but it was generally a good day. The Siouxon Roadless Area is part of the 1902 Yacolt Burn and the lush growth here is really a 100-year forest although much of it is younger than that because fires continued to erupt in the area until 1930 or so, when the good ol’ CCC came in and built firebreaks, etc.

I headed up the creek and in rather short order came to the junction with the Horseshoe Ridge Trail. Horseshoe Ridge is just that - a horseshoe shaped ridge that cradles the drainage of Horseshoe Creek. The trail has not been maintained for a while but is easy to follow. Most down trees are small and can be stepped over. The path rises precipitously at first - no gentle grade - until it reaches an undulating ridge crest which is the south branch of the horseshoe. Much as with other ridges in the Old Cascades, stunted woodland and mossy, craggy outcrops alternate with broader saddles and a few steep, open meadows matted with common juniper and pinemat manzanita. From these, there are partial views to the West Creek valley, but there was nothing to see on Sunday as I was in the clouds under a cold, light drizzle.
West Creek, Siouxon Creek.jpg
Pellucid waters, Siouxon Creek.jpg
Misty woods, Horseshoe Ridge Trail.jpg
Forking bone (Hypogymnia inactiva), Horseshoe Ridge Trail.jpg
Ridge outcropping, Horseshoe Ridge Trail.jpg
Descending to the toe of the horseshoe, the whole forest changes its aspect and suddenly you are out of the Burn area and swaddled in a venerable stand of old growth with a lush understory of huckleberry. The largest trees are western hemlocks, and there is one behemoth right next to the trail. At a saddle FR 5700-320, still under about 18 inches of snow, meets the trail at a hunter’s camp. From here, you hike down along the north branch of the horseshoe, soon entering the Burn again, and then drop steeply off the ridge for three miles before hitting the Siouxon Trail.
Big hemlock, Horseshoe Ridge Trail.jpg
Deer fern shoots, Siouxon Creek.jpg
Siouxon Trail, Siouxon Creek.jpg
I hiked to the footbridge just below 14-mile Falls, meeting many more people (but I wouldn’t be surprised if I was the first on Horseshoe Ridge this season). One group extolled the virtues of the large waterfall about a mile farther up the Siouxon Trail. I was not planning on heading in that direction, and hiked up to Chinook Falls. I made the creek crossing here with boots on - it was about knee height all the way - and got the best views of the falls from mid-creek and the west bank. Then I squished the mile or so to the Wildcat Trail and headed up past Lower Wildcat Falls to the viewpoint of Wildcat’s spectacular cliff face drop (More interesting at this time than when it’s a mere trickle in the summer).
14-mile Falls, Siouxon Creek.jpg
Chinook Creek Falls, Chinook Creek.jpg
Wildcat Creek Falls, Wildcat Creek.jpg
Back at Siouxon Creek, and under the usual threat of a grounding if I didn’t arrive home in time for dinner, I knew it was a point of honor to do the Siouxon ford at Wildcat Creek rather than the two-mile detour back. This is not a bad crossing, really, if you don’t mind getting a little damp. I kept my boots on and had four legs (i.e. two poles). The Siouxon ran to mid-thigh for most of the crossing. Nearing the south bank, my attention wavered for a moment and suddenly found myself standing in a limpid, but deceptive, little pool up to mid-pelvis! Well, I hauled out in a hurry and began to de-thaw as I rapidly squelched my way the three miles to the trailhead, taking in the other delights of the Siouxon in the process.
Siouxon crossing, Siouxon Creek.jpg
View up Siouxon Creek from Siouxon Trail.jpg
Oxalis carpet, Siouxon Creek.jpg
Siouxon Falls, Siouxon Creek.jpg
About 12 ½ miles, 2,500’ or so elevation

rick6003

Re: Siouxon Creek, Horseshoe Ridge, Chinook and Wildcat Fall

Post by rick6003 » May 22nd, 2013, 6:52 pm

Great report Bobcat.

We were there on Saturday for a 20 mile loop. We crossed
the log below Chinook Falls. I crawled on my knees some walked
it.
Very misting day it was. I think it was Siouxon peak we crosses with no views at all. But Wild Cat Falls was awesome.
there's a very nice Cedar grove on the one trail.

Hope to do your Horse Shoe Ridge Rte someday.

Rick

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 22nd, 2013, 9:16 pm

Thanks, Bobcat - excellent report! Hoping to return for that mid-stream view of Chinook Falls before high summer and low water arrives. Very nice area up there, strangely spared from the chainsaws (e.g., not in a wilderness).

Tom :)

Rustygoat

Post by Rustygoat » May 23rd, 2013, 6:09 pm

Thanks for the report Bobcat....it gives me a better idea of what to expect when I go to see those waterfalls. ;) Nice pictures also...but the waist deep crossing :shock: I'm going to stick to the trail on that one...at least til it warms up a little. 8-)
Tim

Chasing waterfalls can be addictive.
NW Off-trail Waterfalls -Facebook Group