Wilson River Thru, 18-May-2013

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
kepPNW

Wilson River Thru, 18-May-2013

Post by kepPNW » May 20th, 2013, 7:12 pm

The day started out dry. What a tease. The first drizzle hit just west of Sylvan, and only picked up strength passing through Hillsboro, Banks, and winding on down Hwy 6 towards Tillamook. Pulling into the Elk Creek Campground (the gate's open!), it was beyond what you'd call a steady drizzle-mist. Not quite rain yet, but that too would change.

Four of us had agreed to meet around 7am here, Born2BBrad and I heading straight here, while mayhem and Crusak dropped the latter's truck off at Keenig Creek Trailhead 11 miles farther down the highway. Our trail would be more than 2x that long, before we'd see our rescue shuttle again. We took the group shot at the Elk Creek trailhead about 7:10am. Ten and a half hours later, at 5:35pm, we took the survivor's shot at Keenig Creek!

The thrill of victory; The agony of de feet! Any of these guys look like they just hiked 24 miles in the rain?

The hike was entirely through the drippingly lush Tillamook State Forest. About as green as green gets! While there were numerous opportunities to pause and enjoy our surroundings, I think everyone will remember much of it this way...

A bit of a blur.

Zooming along for a 3.0mph average pace!

Our first scheduled detour, of many, for the day was to circle the mini-Stonehenge monument.

Around and round we go, where we stop, ...? A trail was beaten down around the outer circle.

Three PHers studying their GPSes. (Mars, your cue!)

Enough with that, off we went towards the coast!

Dark and green, moss covering everything, ferns reaching for the sky.

The forest is just incredibly beautiful. I now understand what draws people back here again and again.

Taking a photo for EP! That's all the explanation anyone gets for this one.

Drippiness on display.

Coronary Ridge group shot! Why not? (Gotta come back and take this route someday!)

Occasionally, we'd hit an overlook, and see that there were low-flying clouds in nearly all directions. We never did see the peak of Kings Mountain, much less the ocean, despite many what you might think some would call opportunities.

Low-flying clouds

More clouds!

Then, we came to a little pinnacle of some sort. Mayhem and Crus were quick to point out that it was climbable. No problem, guys! Why don't you go do it, and we'll take photos! So, Brad and I being the WRT newbs, thought "WTH?", never considering it might be some sort of initiation. :)

Can you see Brad?

My turn!

Heh, it only looks something like Indian Point from that angle, of course. From the backside, it's a bit of a different story. (Not to post a spoiler, or anything. Just insurance in case my wife ever reads this! ;))

This is the worst part. True, if you fell, it wouldn't be cool. But just because it was slippery, ..., "What, me worry?"

Jim just enjoying the views while Brad and I play on the rock.

The "view" of Kings Mountain from atop the pinnacle. Can you see mayhem?

The "view" of three pretty happy guys near pinnacle.

The paintbrush is coming on...

More low-flying clouds in background.

Just a drippy bush.

About this time, the heavy drizzle almost turned to mist, and it started to feel like things might dry out a bit. (Boy were we fooled!)

Trail along an overlook...

... at which we had to stop, to get an expansive view of...

... low-flying clouds!

These little guys were numerous along the trail!

More newts than we bothered to count.

I gotta ask, have you ever seen a guy looking more at peace with the world? Love this shot!

Fungus loves a rainforest!

Then we came to the Diamond Mill bridge over the North Fork Wilson River. What an idyllic spot! Well, other than the guys playing with their little motor bikes, at any rate. But I digress. Sounds aside, the setting was blissful. The water sublime!

Incredible aquamarine clear water.

Diamond Mill bridge over the North Fork Wilson River.

Driest 15 minutes all day long! We all celebrated with a sandwich, I think.

Then it was climbing down the banks, to play along the shoreline a bit.

The rocks along the shore competed pretty fiercely with the colorful water for the photographer's attention!

Just upstream, a beautiful cascade flowed to meet us.

Just downstream, another set of rapids crashed over the stratified rocks.

As we walked on, we were met with a view of a most pleasant little waterfall flowing into the North Fork.

Lovely waterfall, with an ugly Private Property sign nailed to the tree beside it.

Couldn't resist trying to be a little artsy-fartsy with this one.

There were some purple flowers out, along the trail, at this point...

Wild iris

Lupine

We kept heading west. Eventually, we hit the Jones Creek campground. Shazbot! This is *precisely* where I had been 33 years, to the day, ago. How weird is that? Had to take a picture.

Well, this bridge is new, that's for sure. I wonder if the drunk kids still jump from it?

Looking upstream. See all the pretty raindrops on the river?

Looking downstream. The rain was really coming down now!

It was as if the ferns were rejoicing, though.

Not sure where this is, but it's almost the half-way point! Woot!

Sign says 10.9 miles to Elk Creek Campground and 9.6 miles to Keenig Creek Trailhead.

The trails got downright civilized as we approached the Tillamook Forest Center.

This webcam would normally show Kings Mountain to web surfers . (Simulated here, for your viewing pleasure.)

No idea #2690.

Some time later, we encountered another bridge to nowhere in particular.

Seems like as good a place as any for another sandwich!

For many miles, we'd seen signs pointing us to the Wilson Falls. Anticipation was building big-time, lemme tell ya!

W.T.F...? This is it??? You have *got* to be kidding?

Oh! Okay. That's better, I guess.

And then we were back into the woods for miles and miles and miles...

Didn't see a single soul out here, except within a mile or so in either direction of the Forest Center.

Definitely the trail less traveled!

Mayhem found another bridge! This one was to Bridge Creek, of all places. And, apparently, a waterfall. Time for another diversionary sidetrip...

Our fearless tourguide alerts the crowd, "Let's go check this out!"

The Wilson flows through a pretty narrow gorge right at this point. Very pretty indeed.

Helpful signs abound. We were very grateful.

Something cool no doubt lies ahead.

Oooooooohhh...

A guy walks 15 miles to see a waterfall, and *this* is where he's supposed to sit?

Worth it. :)

There was this odd cement thing, though. We couldn't figure out WTH it was?

Despite all the concentrated thought that went into it!

Gratuitous yellow flower shot. (No idea #2730.)

Back across the river, the tour continued westward.

Found a 15-20' tall "stump" that had three (visible) springboard notches cut into it!

Wolk Creek offered us our last break before the final climb. Jim took the chance to try out his nifty new water filter, and refilled his tank, while the rest of just snacked and watched the show.

Wolf Creek

Crusak playing with new toy! (A very cool one, at that!)

Time to get a move-on again. I think we're down to 4-5 miles to go, or so. But a bit of a climb ahead.

At this point, the number of photos really dropped off. It was raining pretty good, and our feet were all pretty prunish. Blah. Still soaked in the beauty around us, just, well, didn't record quite as much of it. :)

We climbed, once again, right back into the low-flying clouds.

Very cool bend in the trail where three ancient giants had been cut away for us to pass.

The littlest salamander! The tip of a hiking pole included, for reference.

We couldn't even see his legs, with our eyes, at first. That's my camera lens poking in!

One incredibly humongous stump!!!

Approaching the last summit of the day, back in the clouds again.

Then, as if we hadn't been entertained enough, we encountered a pair of snails putting on a show just for us! I am not making this up, folks...

The guy on the right is obviously the more interested party in this situation.

Mayhem moves in for some close-up work! The stage is set.

This being a family forum, we should probably let the photos speak for themselves.

Whew! Smokin'...!

And from there, well, what more could any group of TFFs want or hope for? What a great day in the woods!

Where we were. Right-click, "View Image", for full-sized map.

http://gpsfly.org/gps_map.php?gps_id=2405&w=645&h=440
Gpsfly says 22.9 miles, 3735' EG, and 4200' EL.

YMMV

Great day, guys! To quote a prophet, "Bamm!" :D
Last edited by kepPNW on January 8th, 2018, 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

IslandCougGirl

Re: Wilson River Thru, 18-May-2013

Post by IslandCougGirl » May 20th, 2013, 7:23 pm

That water looks like it would be so much fun to jump in!!

Crusak

Post by Crusak » May 20th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Super awesome TR Karl, thanks for shouldering the load on this one! It was great to finally hike with Brad, and to get together with you and Mayhem again.

On a hike this long there is so much to see, and so many amazing things to see that it's overwhelming in some ways. But we did plenty of lingering in the best places, and saw some things that I've never personally seen in the TSF before (like newts, and snails!). It was a great day for me up until about mile 16 or so when we started up out of the Wolf Creek area (where I pumped water). I started getting really tired and mildly wonky. But I started snacking more and drank a lot more water (and coconut water, and Powerade) and snapped out of it.

The only downer was when I got home and found this critter burrowed into my upper right side:
tick1.jpg
That's tick #2 in the past three weeks. I went to see the doc today and now I'm on another round of antibiotics. First thought when I left the pharmacy today was 'where am I going hiking on Friday?' lol. Oh, I did pick up some Permethrin and Picaridin spray to ward off the nasties from here on out. I've gotta be more careful.

I hope you guys enjoyed it as much as I did. It was a great day!
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 20th, 2013, 9:04 pm

Bammmmola to Great TRola capturing the Hikeola:)

Karl, Crusak, Born2BBrad,
Thanks for letting be jump on board with such a late notice.... I almost could not go.
Great times hiking with squishy everything! It really was amazing how none of you guys complained even once about the weather or my sore feet :)

Interactive DM area
http://360.io/5Xz4uD

Movie time :)
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

MarsIsCobra

Post by MarsIsCobra » May 20th, 2013, 9:28 pm

Wow. Awesome TR guys.

Crusak

Post by Crusak » May 21st, 2013, 5:27 am

Great pano shot, and video! Karl was right, your video has a very different atmosphere to it this time around, and it really fits the mood of the day on Saturday. Cool.

Mayhem: what was amazing to me was that none of you complained about my saggy pace. :lol: That was the longest hike I've done in over two years. Good test for where my fitness is at. The rest of you seemed to be gliding along at a rocket pace without a stumble or grumble. :)
Jim's Hikes

Solvitur Ambulando

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 21st, 2013, 6:02 am

That water was definitely amazing, ICG! The good swimming holes probably get pretty populated in weather fit for swimming. They sure used to, back when I was a teenager and this was our go-to summer get-away. (Which is what I was doing the day MSH blew, making the timing of this hike kinda fun.)

Thanks Tim! Your trip plans came up a few times, as we considered what going up Defiance might be like this very wet day. Sounds like you may have stayed a little drier than us, while still seeing your share of clouds!

You're totally right, Jim - there was just so much to report on here, I don't really feel I even began to do it justice! What a day. But after an hour or so of stitching together what minimal descriptions I did offer, there came the time I just had to press Submit rather than Preview. :)

I think the #1 omission was lack of photo credits!!! Obviously, I didn't take all those shots, since I'm in a number of them. Many thanks to both Jim and Mark for sharing theirs for the report as well. (Brad has promised to share his memories and comments, as he didn't have a camera. ;))

Totally awesome video, mayhem! You captured it. Miles and miles of peace. So cool. :)

I'm not sure how many times I said it on Saturday, but I fully understand what keeps drawing you guys back to this Tillamook Forest, now, after this hike and that Kings-Elk Creek loop we did a couple weeks ago. Thanks so much for giving me the E-Ticket tour!
What a Long Strange Trip It's Been!
Last edited by kepPNW on January 8th, 2018, 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Karl

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 21st, 2013, 9:14 am

Most excellent report on the through hike! Nice that you did some of the little diversions as well. And snails and salamanders and ticks! What else could you want?

By the way, I found out that the mini-Stonehenge was actually constructed by a few of my druidical neighbors. I am not of the druidical persuasion, so I can't exactly explain everything, but I know the stones had to be carted up from the Wilson River, placed just so and exactly arranged. They visit every so often for a ceremony, usually solstices and things like that.

Some may protest desecration of what is clearly not wilderness, but it adds a little interest to the trail and beats shotgun cartridges, beer cans, and used diapers.

Can I use your opening Keenig photo in the Field Guide (for the Keenig Trailhead)?

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 21st, 2013, 10:40 am

Thanks, bobcat! We definitely had a great time out there. What better place to be, than a forest like that, on a day like that? :)

Fascinating that you found the source of the Stonehenge! I know mayhem has tried to track it down, and even gone out there at times he thought might be likely for such gatherings, to no avail. He'll definitely be interested in hearing that. It's definitely not a desecration of anything! One wouldn't even know it's there, unless they knew it was there.

By all means, feel free to use the photo. I think that, between us, we got shots of just about every other junction and trailhead along the way, too. So if there are other holes, just ask.
Karl

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 21st, 2013, 11:41 am

For future reference, my pagan neighbors call their arrangement a "cromlech."

If mayhem comes to Multnomah Village, I'll introduce him!