School Canyon - Tygh Creek loop DON'T DO IT

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
pseudoanonymous

School Canyon - Tygh Creek loop DON'T DO IT

Post by pseudoanonymous » May 20th, 2013, 1:48 pm

I went out on Saturday to do this one and it really is a wonderful area, your wiki page was a tremendous assistance both in locating the TH and in finding the hike to begin with and, just as described, I met a turkey hunter. Just one of them and that was the only human I saw in the 10 hours I was out of my car. Its a fantastic hike, I did it just as described on your web page and I printed out your maps and description for navigational assistance (and to help pinpoint the altitudes I found morels at - 4600' for those interested).

This hike is no longer possible as described on your web site. The trail disappears shortly after crossing Tygh Creek and I couldn't locate it using all my navigation skills, maps GPS, etc. I spent a bit over an hour trying find my way through to complete the loop before deciding to head back the way I came in. It would have been a tough spot to get lost in too. The blowdown makes the entire area into a difficult obstacle course and traversing out of there overland would have been tough and time consuming. It might be possible for someone with skill and equipment to do this hike the reverse route because you can use the creek's north fork to find your way back to the trail that takes you to the School Creek TH, but starting out at School Creek TH is was impossible. I was proud of myself for not getting lost and making it back to the car before sundown, so I registered for this forum just so I could suggest that maybe you should alter this hike's page before someone actually does end up having to have a search team sent after them or has to spend an unplanned night out there and gets eaten by a badger (normally I'd say bear, but this isn't the bear creek wilderness).

Thanks a ton for your site, btw. Its a big assistance in my outdoor activities and has found me a lot of neat new place to go that aren't in my guide books.

mattisnotfrench

Re: School Canyon - Tygh Creek loop DON'T DO IT

Post by mattisnotfrench » May 20th, 2013, 3:03 pm

Are you talking about the Tygh Way Trail that connects the Tygh Creek and Little Badger Trails? I haven't done the connector but I've done the other two trails and they're usually in pretty good shape. Most of the trails in that area don't get a ton of maintenance and it wouldn't surprise me if the Tygh Way Trail is in bad shape right now.

School Canyon and Tygh Creek are both outstanding hikes, though. :)
Author of Extraordinary Oregon!, PDX Hiking 365, 101 Hikes in the Majestic Mount Jefferson Region, and Off the Beaten Trail. Website: www.offthebeatentrailpdx.com

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 20th, 2013, 3:29 pm

pseudoanonymous wrote:I went out on Saturday to do this one and it really is a wonderful area, your wiki page was a tremendous assistance both in locating the TH and in finding the hike to begin with and, just as described, I met a turkey hunter. Just one of them and that was the only human I saw in the 10 hours I was out of my car. Its a fantastic hike, I did it just as described on your web page and I printed out your maps and description for navigational assistance (and to help pinpoint the altitudes I found morels at - 4600' for those interested).

This hike is no longer possible as described on your web site. The trail disappears shortly after crossing Tygh Creek and I couldn't locate it using all my navigation skills, maps GPS, etc. I spent a bit over an hour trying find my way through to complete the loop before deciding to head back the way I came in. It would have been a tough spot to get lost in too. The blowdown makes the entire area into a difficult obstacle course and traversing out of there overland would have been tough and time consuming. It might be possible for someone with skill and equipment to do this hike the reverse route because you can use the creek's north fork to find your way back to the trail that takes you to the School Creek TH, but starting out at School Creek TH is was impossible. I was proud of myself for not getting lost and making it back to the car before sundown, so I registered for this forum just so I could suggest that maybe you should alter this hike's page before someone actually does end up having to have a search team sent after them or has to spend an unplanned night out there and gets eaten by a badger (normally I'd say bear, but this isn't the bear creek wilderness).

Thanks a ton for your site, btw. Its a big assistance in my outdoor activities and has found me a lot of neat new place to go that aren't in my guide books.
Any Pictures or GPS tracks to help others understand exactly what your talking about?
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

pseudoanonymous

Post by pseudoanonymous » May 20th, 2013, 3:49 pm

mattisnotfrench wrote:Are you talking about the Tygh Way Trail that connects the Tygh Creek and Little Badger Trails? I haven't done the connector but I've done the other two trails and they're usually in pretty good shape. Most of the trails in that area don't get a ton of maintenance and it wouldn't surprise me if the Tygh Way Trail is in bad shape right now.

School Canyon and Tygh Creek are both outstanding hikes, though. :)
Yeah, Trail #460A: Tygh Creek Way. Thanks for clearing up that confusion, I'm new to the Badger Creek wilderness.
Coming from the south that one ends before it runs into anything. According to the map and the description it should meet the junction not too long after crossing the creek, but I put in a decent effort and couldn't find anything resembling a trail. The trail is mapped on my GPS map too and I was standing right on it according to the satellites, but there wasn't anything at all there other than my own footprints.
It was tough enough to follow before getting to the creek.

mtnhiker56

Post by mtnhiker56 » May 20th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Hi there, that area up there has not been maintained well at all and the forest service knows it. I have cleared the Tygh Creek trail #460 up to the Jordan Crossing Trail #462 but not beyond. I have also been clearing on the School Canyon trail #468 up to the helispot. The piece on #460 past the Jordan Crossing up to #462A and over to #468 School Canyon still needs attention. You can now park your car on road #2720, hike #462 to the junction. That section is cleared also. From there, head west with your saw and a cold beer...bring gloves...glad you made it out safely and did not turn into cougar food. Lots of sign of them up there...Yum Yum! :lol:

woodswalker

Post by woodswalker » May 21st, 2013, 8:03 am

Thanks mtnhiker for the maintenance. I love that area having worked at the fire tower at flag point for a few years and still get out there when I can.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » May 21st, 2013, 8:54 am

Hi pseudoanonymous:

I was the one who wrote up the loop for the Field Guide, so thank you for your comments. I'm sorry you couldn't complete the loop. I was last there about four years ago and the trail does get a little lost going up the slope from Tygh Creek (I'm inferring that you came from the School Canyon direction). I didn't really get off track, but things may have changed since then. You would just continue up, though, until you intersect the Tygh Creek Trail at the ridgeline.

Anyhow, your warnings are sufficient to warrant labeling the Field Guide entry as a "Lost Trail" and I'll post other appropriate warnings in red and link to your post. Since we can't hike all the trails all the time, it is feedback from hikers like you that can keep us up to date! The positive thing is, not only did you return in one piece, but you got to hike the School Canyon Trail twice!

@mtnhiker56: Thanks for all your maintenance on trails in that area. There is a horse group that has been involved in some upkeep (the Forest Service has written many of the trails off), but they've only tackled a fraction of the trails.

John

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » May 21st, 2013, 9:34 am

Thanks for putting that loop in the field guide and all the other ones you've been doing.

I think feedback is one thing good about the field guide, more complete and accurate.

Plus, it gives you the opportunity to good naturely duke it out, for example, with Mayhem about whether you can see the ocean from King's :D

GoretexDisco

Post by GoretexDisco » May 21st, 2013, 5:39 pm

If admins are fixing up the field guide, the "Coyote Wall Long Loop" hike has been out of date for quite a while...

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 21st, 2013, 6:02 pm

retired jerry wrote:Thanks for putting that loop in the field guide and all the other ones you've been doing.

I think feedback is one thing good about the field guide, more complete and accurate.

Plus, it gives you the opportunity to good naturely duke it out, for example, with Mayhem about whether you can see the ocean from King's :D
I think I just got Bammered! :) All good of course!
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!