Badger Creek Overnight

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
scott_willson

Badger Creek Overnight

Post by scott_willson » May 20th, 2013, 7:09 am

Headed up Badger Creek from Bonney Crossing Campground for an overnight with the dogs. Took a week's worth of gear with us as a shakedown for longer trips this summer. We camped about 7.5 miles in near the Post Camp Trail.

Badger Creek is nice now—few bugs, not muddy nor dusty, and trail is clear almost to the intersection with Gumjuwac. There is some deadfall but it is no big deal. Around nine miles in (I hear), there are more downed trees and less of a cleared trail on the way up to Badger Lake. And it is still winter up at Badger Lake.

The flowers over near Little Badger are in full bloom. I'd head over that way if you're looking for a sunny hike.
IMG_3611.jpg

Aimless

Re: Badger Creek Overnight

Post by Aimless » May 20th, 2013, 9:19 am

A very informative report for such a short one. If I can ever get my schedule straightened out for the next month, I will be thinking about a mid-week overnight soon, and Badger Creek was definitely on my radar. Thanks.

200,000'

Post by 200,000' » May 20th, 2013, 10:42 am

Thanks, been wanting to see that area.

Also, that pic of a wirehair actually at rest is a rarity....oh, I see, he's tethered!

drm

Post by drm » May 20th, 2013, 2:19 pm

I doubt it is still winter at Badger Lake. I backpacked up there a couple of weeks ago on the same trail and only hit more than patchy snow for the last half mile, and I'm sure it's much better now. Plenty of melted out places to camp at the lake then. There are some trees down beyond where you stopped, but it wasn't too bad. And once you get about 2 miles past Post Camp, it's pretty much all clear.

Get Out Backpacking

Post by Get Out Backpacking » May 21st, 2013, 7:46 pm

Thanks for the short and sweet TR. Nice to know where the snow is at, thanks!