Sturgeon Rock, Silverstar, Pyramid Rock Loop - 05/05/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Guy

Sturgeon Rock, Silverstar, Pyramid Rock Loop - 05/05/13

Post by Guy » May 6th, 2013, 5:26 pm

Opening pic

Sunday we took advantage of the fantastic weather & headed up to Silverstar.

We decided on a loop that would also take in the tops of Sturgeon & Pyramid rocks. From Grouse Vista we headed West on the Tarbell trail to the Rock Creek Bridge. A couple of us did a quick off trail thrash around to see if we could get a photo of the Falls below the Bridge but soon realized it would take more time than the others would be willing to wait:^).. This is just the short top part of the falls.

Image Image

We had actually been loosing elevation to this point & so it was now that the climbing actually started for the day, as we continued on the the Tarbell junction with the old road that is labelled trail 180C. This is an unapologetic straight up steep climb on an old rocky road! We started running into snow at about 3700'.

When we reached the South end of Sturgeon Rock we left the trail & climbed up onto the Rock making our way over to the high point at the North end.

Image Image

Until we climbed up onto the Rock we had been sheltered from the winds but up here they were brutal! I did tag the Summit but came back down from the high point on my butt not trusting myself to stand up & keep my balance in the wind!

Image Image

We hung out for a few minutes but then headed on back down to the trail. From here it was 100% snow cover up to Silverstar.

Image Image

As we approached Silverstar things got busy, quite a few people on the Summit. The Wind was howling here too but at least you could shelter from it behind the Rocks.

Image Image

After a lazy lunch we packed up for the trip down, instead of taking the trail out we hiked over to Star 2 then just made our way down the top of the Ridgeline first on snow & then through beargrass to Pyramid Rock.

Image Image

We went up & over Pyramid Rock.

Image Image

Image Image
Clambering around on Pyramid Rock!

After Pyramid Rock we rejoined the regular trail back down to Grouse Vista.

Here is a 2 minute Summary Video :^)..
http://api.smugmug.com/services/embed/2 ... 34_nj8jrjk

With the side trips we had 8.75 miles & 3750' of EG logged.

Here are a few more pics from the day.

Last edited by Guy on May 7th, 2013, 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Re: Sturgeon Rock, Silverstar, Pyramid Rock Loop - 05/05/13

Post by kepPNW » May 6th, 2013, 6:26 pm

Nice! That trail from the top to Sturgeon is just as we envisioned it might be, the day before. Looked totally walkable, though. Wish we'd have had more time, to run over and tag that one too. :)

Curious, what do you use to colorize the track in Google Earth? I like that!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Guy

Post by Guy » May 6th, 2013, 7:35 pm

Karl, I made the KMZ file by dropping the gpx file into GPS Visualizer: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Lots of options you can use or not use for waypoints & tracks. Color by altitude being one of them.

Cheers.
hiking log & photos.
Ad monte summa aut mors

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » May 7th, 2013, 4:58 am

Guy wrote:Karl, I made the KMZ file by dropping the gpx file into GPS Visualizer: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/

Lots of options you can use or not use for waypoints & tracks. Color by altitude being one of them.
Ahhh! Y'know, I think I've asked that before. I gotta burn that resource into my brain better. Thanks much, Guy!
Karl
Back on the trail, again...