Wildwood Thruhike

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Bozo Texino

Wildwood Thruhike

Post by Bozo Texino » May 2nd, 2013, 9:54 am

Greetings, all!

Made my first, but certainly not last, Wildwood Thruhike yesterday. 30.3 miles in 10 hours of walking (One hour of combined breaks) for a pace just above 3 mph. Probably made close to 5 mph at times, and less then 2 for others...

Drank 3 liters of water and two liters of iskiate, ate 1/2 pound dry salami, small wedge of cheddar, two apples, trail mix in unknown quantities, and a few granola bars.

Pictures and commentary to follow, which appear to be in reverse order...
Attachments
wwblister.jpg
Despite well-fitting and broken-in boots, 30.3 miles is a long haul, and my feet paid the price. I changed out socks twice, applied various ointments, and in the end, just sucked it up and got the job done. Trail zen set in pretty hard, I guess, because I was greeted with this beauty (and several more) when I finally yanked of my footwear...
wwend.jpg
I left the camera in my pack for the climb up to Pittock. Feet were hamburgered, legs aching, shoulders numb, and sun beating down hot and bright. Gorgeous landscape, and friendly folk egging me on as I slowly limped the last several miles in to the zoo. Randomly, I had bagpipe music serenading me over the last mile, as a piper played above the Vietnam Veterans Memorial.
wwcreek.jpg
Quick shot of Macleay... By this point, my legs were feeling the burn from the long descent down from 53rd Trailhead, and my feet were definitely beginning to blister. Urge to soak my feet almost overwhelmed me, but if I'd pulled my boots off there, the hike would've ended.
wwnicestday.jpg
As I mentioned, the weather and the season couldn't have been better. A riot of spring green backlit by blue skies and sunshine.
wwlog.jpg
I rarely stray off-trail, tending to respect stewards' restoration efforts, but sometimes, I can't resist. Walked over it and back, so as to keep my mileage accurate.
wwbreaktime.jpg
Took my first break 10 miles in, at 8:50 a.m... It would seem I was making great time.
wwdawn.jpg
The sun came up around mile 28, and I could tell already I had selected a perfect day for my quest.
wwgettinggoing.jpg
Me hitting the trail at 5:30 in the morning. I opted for the north-to-south route, mainly due to shuttle arrangements.
"Careful, man, there's a beverage here!" --Jeffrey The Dude Lebowski

BrianEdwards

Re: Wildwood Thruhike

Post by BrianEdwards » May 2nd, 2013, 10:05 am

Wo, That first pic is gnarly!
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

Bozo Texino

Post by Bozo Texino » May 2nd, 2013, 12:39 pm

BrianEdwards wrote:Wo, That first pic is gnarly!
A 22oz Lagunitas Hop Stoopid and a long soak in a tub full of hot water and epsom salt, followed by an enourmous burrito and a long night of deep rest has me feeling considerably better.

Splintercat

Post by Splintercat » May 2nd, 2013, 12:42 pm

Beautiful ending, Bozo! I love it! :lol: Thanks for the report, and welcome to the forum!

Tom :)

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » May 2nd, 2013, 3:15 pm

Great tr, Bozo. "A riot of spring green backlit by blue skies and sunshine" is an awesome way to describe the wildwood on a sunny day.

P.S. you kind of look like Andrei Arlovski in the "first break picture". that's awesome 8-)

discodan7700

Congrats

Post by discodan7700 » May 5th, 2013, 4:44 am

Congrats on the 30 miler! Righteous!

Chase

Post by Chase » May 5th, 2013, 5:54 am

Great job. I went through there yesterday. Two trees were down, one at mile 13 (big mess) and one closer to mile 15 (no mess). Wondering how long they'd been blocking the trail.

Bozo Texino

Post by Bozo Texino » May 5th, 2013, 10:47 am

Chase wrote:Great job. I went through there yesterday. Two trees were down, one at mile 13 (big mess) and one closer to mile 15 (no mess). Wondering how long they'd been blocking the trail.
I'd bet the last 24 hours of strong winds were to blame. Aside from a bit of mtn. bike tire tracks, I saw nothing on the trail that caused me any consternation. I did see a big pile of fresh bear-poo near mile 28, and had an odd encounter with a squatter around mile 20 (I glimpsed him as he fled into the undergrowth, and he stayed hidden just above me as I passed by, despite my polite assertions that I wasn't interested in him).

All in all, the trail was in excellent condition as of May 1.

mayhem

Post by mayhem » May 5th, 2013, 6:27 pm

Bozo Texino wrote:
Chase wrote:Great job. I went through there yesterday. Two trees were down, one at mile 13 (big mess) and one closer to mile 15 (no mess). Wondering how long they'd been blocking the trail.
I'd bet the last 24 hours of strong winds were to blame. Aside from a bit of mtn. bike tire tracks, I saw nothing on the trail that caused me any consternation. I did see a big pile of fresh bear-poo near mile 28, and had an odd encounter with a squatter around mile 20 (I glimpsed him as he fled into the undergrowth, and he stayed hidden just above me as I passed by, despite my polite assertions that I wasn't interested in him).

All in all, the trail was in excellent condition as of May 1.
Great job guys!! Two folks with snaggled up hamburger feet just because you can. Bammola!!! I want in on next Hamburger foot express :)
Chase you have any mangled up feet picutures to show or even just regular nice pictures?
Shoe Shine Boy Has Left The Building!

Chase

Post by Chase » May 5th, 2013, 7:12 pm

OK, OK, I'll post some pictures before I end up getting an "oh snap".

Started at the Crystal Ballroom at 4:45am.

Got to the gate at 5:02. Still locked, but technically the park was open, so I kept walking.

Not a bad photo for an iphone.

I think my animal friends were up by 5:35, but a locked zoo kept me from stopping and saying hello to them.

Truly, one of my favorite maps in the world.

Pit stop.

Mr. Sun was now up and ready to make everybody happy.

Look, I'm tall like E.P.

Witch's Castle after the party.

Green.

Woody.

Birds chirping in the dark.

Phone had low battery by mile 12, so I shut it off. About 33 miles total by the time I got Newberry. I'd stashed a Pepsi (now warm) and jetpack in the bushes (no one ever thinks to look in the bushes on the west side of Newberry!) so I had a refreshing beverage and before flying back home.