Pigeon Butte: William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Pigeon Butte: William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge

Post by bobcat » April 15th, 2013, 7:26 pm

‘Tis April and the refuges down the Willamette Valley have opened up some of their hinterlands to the public as most wintering fowl are well on their way north. Since the blizzards and freezing temperatures of higher altitudes this past weekend were not appealing to me, and I had only the better part of half a day anyway, I made the rather lengthy motor down to the William L. Finley Refuge, south of Corvallis and named after one of Oregon’s conservation pioneers.

This 6 ½ mile walk took me around the Cheadle Marsh on the west side of Muddy Creek, then up to the Cheadle Barn before ascending the towering 543-foot summit of Pigeon Butte, built something like a Boring volcano but not of that particular provenance. The butte is named after the band-tailed pigeons that are attracted to a mineral spring on its flank.
Pigeon Butte from Cheadle Marsh, William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Common camas (Camassia quamash), William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Large-leaf lupine (Lupinus polyphyllus), William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Dwarf owl clover (Triphysaria pusilla), William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Cheadle Barn, William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Pond, William L. Finley NWR .jpg
The summit affords views to the south across farmers’ fields, west to Marys Peak (on a clear day) and east to the Cascades (on a clear day). A sturdy oak forest cloaks the slopes. Making a descent from the butte through a sea of poison oak and blooming irises, I walked a gravel road north to Cabell Marsh and then west to Cattail Marsh. From there a tricky little trail winds through a boggy thicket, the path a gumbo of sucking mud churned up by elk tracks and spiced with their droppings. I had gotten a rather late start, so I saw no elk this time around.
View southwest, Pigeon Butte, William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Leaves of three, Pigeon Butte, William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Serviceberry (Amelanchier alnifolia), Cabell Marsh, William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Willamette Valley bitter cress (Cardamine penduliflora), Cabell Marsh, William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Cattail Pond Trail, William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Then I took a turn past a quarry and down an alley of ash trees festooned with witch’s hair. It was about a mile walk back on the road to my car. On the way, I passed grebes, coots, shovelers, and cinnamon teals scudding across marshes. A couple thousand dusky Canada geese, looking portly and pampered, were grazing in the pastures prepared just for their gorging pleasure (The three Valley refuges – Finley, Ankeny, and Baskett Slough – were created mainly for them). They should be winging their way north to Alaska to breed, but maybe Oregon’s generosity is just too much of a good thing.
Pacific willow (Salix lasiandra), Cattail Pond, William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Dusky geese, William L. Finley NWR.jpg
Yellow-headed blackbird in the rain, William L. Finley NWR.jpg

kelkev

Re: Pigeon Butte: William L. Finley National Wildlife Refuge

Post by kelkev » April 17th, 2013, 4:42 pm

Nice trip report bobcat! I have spent many an hour exploring WF Wildlife Refuge, it's a diverse and interesting place to spend a spring day. I have surprised elk a couple of times in the past, that's always fun. I forgot my waterproof boots the first time I visited, and I haven't forgot them since.

Kevin
"Going to the mountains is going home."
— John Muir

Waffle Stomper

Post by Waffle Stomper » April 19th, 2013, 5:38 am

Lovely trip report. I need to visit this refuge.
"When we try to pick out anything by itself, we find it hitched to everything else in the Universe." - John Muir

mcds

Post by mcds » April 19th, 2013, 12:20 pm

This refuge always comes to mind on the drive to Florence, but we've never stopped. Thanks for the photo tour. Love the serviceberry and yellow-headed blackbird shots. Did you happen to stop at the wildlife blinds built for photographers?

Peder

Post by Peder » April 19th, 2013, 5:45 pm

Waffle Stomper wrote:Lovely trip report. I need to visit this refuge.
I may be lucky enough to be in Corvallis next week and have the opportunity! The TR sure makes it look attractive.
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

bobcat

Post by bobcat » April 20th, 2013, 11:44 am

@mcds: Yes, we've made a diversion to the Finley a few times when heading to/from Eugene and Corvallis, also on the way to Newport.

As a day visit from SW Portland, where I live, it may exceed the range of some, but it's about 90 minutes from my house.

I haven't been to the photo blind, which is in the north part of the refuge. My little loop was in the southern section.