Dog Mountain double with Wind Mtn add-on: 3/30/13

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Sean Thomas

Dog Mountain double with Wind Mtn add-on: 3/30/13

Post by Sean Thomas » March 31st, 2013, 2:23 pm

A large pack of us met up at the Dog Mtn TH yesterday morning around 7 am. A ph'er named Tim(Mars) hatched a plan a few weeks back to hike up to Dog Mountain twice in one day. Some of us did one loop, others did two and some also did Wind Mtn afterwards. It was a great day for a hike with some great company and never ending laughs as usual. Before reaching the trailhead I pulled over near Stevenson to catch a shot of yesterdays epic sunrise with the silhouette of Dog Mtn in the middle of the picture:

We all arrived at the TH by 7 and began our ascent. Roy and his wife hiked with Crusack and Peder up to the top where Peder then went on over to Augspurger Mountain. Hiking out of the trees and really beginning to huff and puff it was clear Eric Peterson had his game face on:

Here he is leading the way on the first doggy lap:

He hit the summit in just over an hour and waited a few moments for the rest of the gang to reach the top. Here is DN making it look easy as he jogs up to the summit:

We were definitely early for the big flower show but Columbia Kittentails and Spring Gold are blooming nicely on the open slopes. Oaks Toothwort is looking good lower down. Here are the kittentails:

We were the only ones at the summit on the first lap and the views were looking good:

We bumped into Crus and the gang heading up as we started to hike back down. Thanks for those truffles Peder!

We got back to the car after a bunch of friendly hi, hellos and fist bumps to the folks heading up. Now it was time to double the dog:

We chose the "more difficult" option on the way up both times but switched it up a little bit each time we went down. Pretty soon we were back out in the open enjoying those awesome views again :)

Getting closer:

And the double dog participants enjoying the top with a few others:

The return of mayhem was a real treat too, being from Minnesota his ears got cold so he wore some muffs to keep warm :D

More legends:

The six of us split up at the summit where Karl and Mars went back down the longer Augspurger Trail. The four of us went down the east side somewhere on an old dn/ep style trail and got back to the car with enough time for a quad dog!! :o Don's thirst for adventure wasn't quenched(is it ever) so he asked us if we would like to accompany him to a hike on Wind Mtn just across the valley from Dog. Mayhem and Ep had afternoon plans so Don and I headed over to the Wind Mtn TH and hiked up the old indian trail to the summit. Just above the parking lot we met a nice lady named Vicky and the three of us decided to do the hike together from that point :) On top we got some more great views but my cam had already died :( DN took a few pics tho and pointed out all the ridges and valleys while walking us through his flirtation with disaster a few months ago when he was gored with a large stick on Wind Mtn :shock:

I had an awesome time yesterday and it was good to see some old friends and meet some new ones too :) Sounds like kep and mars had similiar plans after ours and did Wind mtn as well, nice job guys :)

Eric Peterson

Re: Dog Mountain double with Wind Mtn add-on: 3/30/13

Post by Eric Peterson » March 31st, 2013, 5:05 pm

I'll just tag some of my shots from the Double Dog Dash -

Mayhem's double cam helmet -

Super fast Sean -

Double Dog Peterson's -

Mars and me -

Pretty nippy up there so early in the morning so I bailed down pretty fast but not quite real trail running, heh.

The parking lot when I got back down, whoa!

DN resting up for the second assault -

Some artifacts I set out for DN on my first descent thinking they would see the stuff but they went
the longer ridge that lap so they saw the pieces on the second lap up -

Second time up the hill was covered -

Karl and Mars below on their way up -

The man behind the invite -

Group shot of the 2nd ascent -

We mixed up our 2nd descent a bit with using the old backside wind shielded trail that was also
the old CCT, looks like someone has brushed it out too :)

Laggy McPeterson <-- me, somehow managed to get up the first Dog in 1:09 beating my previous
best Dog of 1:15 on the DWTHB. Sean aced his second Dog in an hour or less, I saw him
running out of sight on the last stretch before the summit! :)

Nice job all, was a great day and sorry I had to miss Wind with Sean and DN.
Last edited by Eric Peterson on April 1st, 2013, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

kepPNW

Post by kepPNW » March 31st, 2013, 8:33 pm

Sean, that sunrise shot is totally righteous! What a wondrous start to such a beautiful day!

Like Eric, I'll just toss out a few, here...

As I pulled into the parking lot, folks were pointing out this glorious moon setting over Nick Eaton ridge.

There was simply never a question which route up this group would choose!

This was my first time up Dog. It was 45 minutes from that last junction to our first breather, er, photo op!

Mayhem celebrating our extrication from the view-impaired forest.

And the views were suddenly sweeping and stunningly lit. Can't wait to see what footage those helmet cams got.

Found a spot where there used to be a lookout to take a little panorama.
Interactive photosynth.

Tim/Mars and mayhem making the final dash to the summit.

Even the switchbacks had to warm up for this one!

Tim, rounding one of the last switchbacks, with Defiance and the tip of Hood in background.

Woot! Summit in 1h 15m! I was impressed. :)

Surveying the landscape - Eric, Don, and Sean.

Volcanoes in every direction!

Saint Helens

Hood

Adams

Silver Star

Then it was time to finish the first lap...

We'd met a peak-runner, a couple, and the four other PHers at this point. Boy was that about to change.

I really like walking along these oak hillsides, for some reason.

After a quick refueling stop at the parking lot, it was off to the races again!

Tim on the march. This lap was definitely slower!

Second summit, the crowds had grown up top! We were no longer alone.

Only flowers I saw right at the summit.

There were these purple guys a bit lower down.

Tim and I wandered off on a different descent, actually crossing through a few snow fields.

We went through the woods, back to that lookout spot, then back up again and on the trail towards Augspurger.

We debated going all the way to Augspurger, but didn't have adequate fuel supplies. So, instead, we decided that Don had a
great idea in heading over to Wind Mountain afterwards. That was our new plan!

The parking lot was nutso when we got down there!

Stats so far: 14.9 miles and 6200' EG. Another refueling break, and we were off for Wind Mountain! Couldn't believe how many cars were there, either. Only 1/10 as many as Dog, but still, that was pretty far off the beaten path!

About 1/2 mile up the trail, there's this great overlook, where we could see where we'd just been.

This outcropping could give folks the spooks, but it was pretty cool. Just hold onto your hat!
Interactive photosynth.

Looking south from the end of the outcropping.

The swarms were still buzzing around the summit of Dog!

A fair number of scrambles over blowdown, but nothing like I'd expected given all the talk of it.

Absolutely awesome reflections off the Columbia on top!

Another sweeping vista. I think we killed nearly a half-hour here. It was just a fabulous ending to a fabulous day!
Interactive photosynth.

Final stats: 18.1 miles and 7300' EG. (I've gone that far before, but not with that much elevation!)

Thanks so much to Tim for organizing this Big Dog Party!!! :D
Karl
Back on the trail, again...

Sean Thomas

Post by Sean Thomas » March 31st, 2013, 8:46 pm

Awesome pics, guys! That's funny how you took a zoom of the masses on dog from wind mtn. Don did the same thing and we were showing others the pic while we were up on wind, going, "holy crap!"

Get Out Backpacking

Post by Get Out Backpacking » March 31st, 2013, 9:24 pm

I can't wait for the Balsam Root bloom, it is always a treat!

Jack

Post by Jack » April 1st, 2013, 4:51 am

Nice work, guys! I liked the way you combined the great pictures to tell the story. That opening silhouetted sunrise pic is beautiful, Sean. Glad you all got to enjoy the camaraderie while getting the job done on such a fair weather day! It didn't seem like DN had to much instigating to get some of you over to Wind Mt,, either! And with a Mayhem appearance, how could it get any better? :)

Peder

Post by Peder » April 1st, 2013, 9:10 am

Thanks to Tim for organizing. Being anti-social, I wandered off to explore Augspurger Mountain after hitting the summit of Dog. I did VanMarmot's figure of eight with Bosterson's variation. The first section was (more or less) in the company of 9 other PH'ers, some were faster than me.
DSC05594.jpg
Mayhem before he put on his woolly headphones for the soundtrack.
DSC05596.jpg
EP overtaking me at warp speed.
DSC05643.jpg
All from PH!
DSC05647.jpg
The flower display is cool. Those yellow weed that look like a cross between a dandelion and a sunflower have yet to come out and mar the landscape.
I headed for the north ridge of Augspurger Mountain, about five miles of the route are on dirt roads. Thanks to the power lines, long stretches had great views.
DSC05672.jpg
The route continues through the open area beyond the pylons
Many use these dirt roads, and each user has his/her own way of blazing their route:
DSC05674.jpg
The Coors Light blaze
DSC05675.jpg
The BPA blaze. What is the "stop" about?
DSC05678.jpg
The shooter "4" blaze
Along the way, there was a Mourning Cloak, fittingly the "first butterfly to appear in spring" according to my field guide! A coyote came trotting around a corner on a dirt road and was about 15 yards from me. He lifted his head and straightened his ears in a look of surprise. He quickly decided that he did not wish to mess with me and made an about turn and ran off.

I got to the north end of the Augspurger Mountain where there is a trailhead.
DSC05680.jpg
Only 7.5 miles to go!
Shortly thereafter the trail was snow covered and unsuited for crossing (this is at the very start of the ridge where there is a switchback into the east flank). I thought for a little while that I might have to return the way I came, but it was possible to scramble straight up onto the ridge.
DSC05682.jpg
Impassable trail
Hereafter it was straight forward.
DSC05688.jpg
The ridge
DSC05703.jpg
Looking north to Mount St Helens and Mt Rainier.
DSC05704_stitch2a.jpg
Looking at Mount St Helens, Mt Rainier and Mt Adams.
There was a set of old foot prints leading down from the summit, together with a set of large dog prints. Today, I had the whole mountain to myself despite the crowds elsewhere.
DSC05736a.jpg
Woodpeckers on the way down.
17.8 miles, 6,400' EG
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Roy

Post by Roy » April 1st, 2013, 10:49 am

Peder wrote:Thanks to Tim for organizing. Being anti-social, I wandered off to explore Augspurger Mountain after hitting the summit of Dog.
around a corner on a dirt road and was about 15 yards from me. He lifted his head and straightened his ears in a look of surprise. He quickly decided that he did not wish to mess with me and made an about turn and ran off.
Anti social I dont think so you were just being polite hiking us as Jim was ;) Sure got razzed from you guys about taking the difficult way up my choice I still say its faster.We came down the west newer trail nice grade but I swear longer than they claim on the sign.
Its funny a few years back when I told my wife I was hiking Dog with Jim She said off the internet? What if he is a ax murder:lol:

Well yesterday she remarked what nice fellows you were to hike with.
The downhill of the mind is harder than the uphill of the body. - Yuichiro Miura

Peder

Post by Peder » April 1st, 2013, 1:40 pm

Roy wrote:Its funny a few years back when I told my wife I was hiking Dog with Jim She said off the internet? What if he is a ax murder:lol:
I had that problem with my wife, so I called those I met "Andy the Ax Murderer", "Chip the Cyanide Guy" and so on. My wife still worried and Chip was "the cyanide guy" to the family for eons. After I went hiking with this guy I called "Mayhem the Mass Murderer" and survived, she stopped worrying about the hiking partners met over the internet! :D
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » April 1st, 2013, 2:41 pm

Thanks again to everyone for making this a fun event!! I suppose I better chime in and add a few pics too:

Looks like Sean and I stopped at the same place for the sunrise shot of Dog:

The motley crew getting ready for the assault:

The first arrivals on top for Dog I: Eric ran up the hill and bagged a 1:08 time, I was a pitiful 5th at 1:18 with the rest in between about 1:15 or so.

Sean and I went over and hiked Wind Mt. after Dog II - Here's a view looking back at Dog from the top of Wind:

And a close-up - yikes!:

Me and Sean on top of Wind Mt.:

Here's a map of our route that shows where the northside trail is if anyone's interested.

14.4 miles, 7,003' vertical.

Don
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller