Chenoweth Tableland

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Chenoweth Tableland

Post by bobcat » March 28th, 2013, 1:36 pm

Above The Dalles hangs a line of cliffs that seem quite out of place among the lava synclines and anticlines of the central Gorge. This sandstone of the Dalles Formation represents the remains of a Pliocene lake bed that formed in a basin covering the Columbia River basalts in this area. Much of the area above and below these cliffs, over 300 acres, was purchased by the Forest Service in 2002. The cliff faces themselves host nesting raptors and swallows in the spring; in addition, possibly dating back to the Pliocene, generations of The Dalles teenagers have come up here, gouged their initials, splashed graffiti, built fires, and cuddled up in the shallow caverns that perforate the rim.
Rock formations, Chenoweth Tableland.jpg
Ascending the bluff, Chenoweth Tableland.jpg
Smooth prairie star (Lithophragma glabrum), Chenoweth Tableland.jpg
When I first came up here, it was possible to access the scabland plateau from the back side, but irate landowners have put up signs asking walkers not to use their privately maintained access road, so the best way up now is via the boarded up Chenowith Middle School (There are two different spellings of Chenoweth in The Dalles) at the northwest base of the bluff. A trail heads up from here and immediately enters USFS property before rising to the plateau. Use paths lead along the base of the cliffs so that you can vandalize at will.
Cave, Chenoweth Tableland.jpg
Cliff view to Sevenmile Hill and Foley Lakes, Chenoweth Tableland.jpg
Gray-leaf desert parsley (Lomatium macrocarpum), Chenoweth Tableland.jpg
Another possible access (and egress) point is at the Rohde Reservoir, two public water tanks near a spectacular hoodoo on the oak forested slopes below the bluff. It’s also possible to walk the rim through an oak and ponderosa pine parkland as far as the power lines, getting great views of Sevenmile Hill, Crate’s Point, the Columbia Hills, and the entire spread of the City of The Dalles. The bitterbrush cloaked plateau has a jeep road running across it. Fence lines at the south end mark the beginning of private property.
Hoodoo, Chenoweth Tableland.jpg
Poet's shooting star (Dodecatheon poeticum), Chenoweth Tableland.jpg
Looking east, Chenoweth Tableland.jpg
The oak-clad western slopes of the tableland above Chenoweth Creek also have trails and gullies with ephemeral waterfalls. I saw a No Trespassing sign for the first time here although fresh mountain bike tracks indicated it was being ignored. Some landowners have tolerated access in the past although I suspect the area will come under a more restrictive USFS plan à la Coyote Wall/Catherine Creek in time.

You will almost always see deer here and there is a good display of blooms in the spring.
Last edited by bobcat on March 28th, 2013, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BrianEdwards

Re: Chenoweth Tableland

Post by BrianEdwards » March 28th, 2013, 2:16 pm

Nice. This is another spot that I don't see alot of photos of. The rocks are spectacular in that area.
Bobcat wrote:You will almost always see deer here
Been there 4 times now, and only once did I not see double-digit amount of deer. There's quite a resident herd in that area with plenty of stragglers.
Clackamas River Waterfall Project - 95 Documented, 18 to go.

west_linn_hiker

Post by west_linn_hiker » March 5th, 2022, 7:38 pm

I hiked this today: beautiful rolling green hills with sunny views of snowy Mt Hood off in the distance. Expansive views of The Dalles and the Columbia River down below.

The Chenowith Middle School access point near 13th and Irvine is a bit confusing: Google Maps directed me to drive up Irvine Street, but there's a chain-link fence blocking the way. I didn't see any signs indicating there is a trailhead in the area, or I would have parked my car and walked up. I assumed incorrectly that Google Maps was wrong.

I did the Sandlin Road Trailhead instead, which happened to have much less elevation gain.

I totally forgot that this is tick territory. I checked myself when I got home and don't see any, but I did go cross country on the way back from the Caves through Oak and grass, and that probably wasn't a good idea.

Final Note: The Private property areas on top are fenced off and politely signed as such, but none of the trails have signs. I referenced Google Maps from time to time to keep appraised of where I was, but unfortunately I learned later that I missed a few sights.

The following photo is looking West on the Archery Rd Trail, about 700 ft past Sandlin Rd entry point, after you follow the Forest Service road around a 90 degree bend to the left and it straightens out.
20220305_145605.jpg
Looking SW up Chenowith Creek, with Mt Hood visible in the distance:
20220305_150645.jpg
Walking westward..the caves are around the corner to the right:
20220305_151342.jpg
I've now gone around the corner, and I'm looking east up Columbia River with the city down below.
20220305_151735.jpg
I was a little nervous following this little trail around to the caves, but I just took it slow. No problem at all.
20220305_152022.jpg
This photo is the interior of the cave seen in the photo above. Lots of graffiti, but surprisingly little trash and broken glass:
20220305_152126.jpg
Here's a view from the Caves straight down to the Chenowith Rim apartment complex that's mentioned in an earlier article. You can see the closed school to the left of that. Note: If you start down there, it's probably a 700 ft gain to get up to the caves. The Sandlin Road entry seemed to have much less elevation gain.
20220305_152226.jpg
Last edited by west_linn_hiker on March 6th, 2022, 6:27 pm, edited 12 times in total.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 5th, 2022, 9:13 pm

west_linn_hiker wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:38 pm
The Irvine Street access point is very confusing: Google Maps directed me to drive up Irvine Street, but there's a fence blocking the way. There are no signs indicating there is a trailhead in the area, or I would have parked my car and walked up.
There's never been a trailhead sign. But, previously, there was no fence and you could walk through the abandoned school grounds.

My preferred access is from the north; you can park on Chenowith Creek Road and follow an unofficial trail across the creek and then bushwhack up to the rim.

Any flowers blooming on top?

west_linn_hiker wrote:
March 5th, 2022, 7:38 pm
Note: If you start down there, it's probably a 700 ft gain to get up to the caves.
Only 500'. It just feels like more when you stand on the edge. :)

west_linn_hiker

Post by west_linn_hiker » March 6th, 2022, 2:41 pm

Any flowers blooming on top?
I only noticed these, mixed in with the grass:
20220305_150536.jpg
(apologies for blur...sun was too bright to see the screen)

I see that bobcat's original trip report was March 28th, so maybe I was a little early for widespread flowers.

drm

Post by drm » March 6th, 2022, 5:06 pm

Bobcat says the FS bought 300 acres, but the tableland is a lot bigger than that. When he posted that, it was all wide open and there was no way to know where public land became private. But a few years ago, they put up fences and a large section of the tableland is now not accessible. They put up the fence at the old middle school just before that. Mostly now you can just walk along the Eagle Cliffs ridge a ways. There used to be a system of loops up there.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » March 6th, 2022, 7:20 pm

drm wrote:
March 6th, 2022, 5:06 pm
But a few years ago, they put up fences and a large section of the tableland is now not accessible. They put up the fence at the old middle school just before that. Mostly now you can just walk along the Eagle Cliffs ridge a ways. There used to be a system of loops up there.
I know the east side is no longer accessible, but are the "bench" trails on the NW side also fenced off? I haven't been over there yet.

drm

Post by drm » March 7th, 2022, 7:25 pm

If by bench trails, you mean the switchbacks and routes that climb up to the table, I think those are still open. I have been there in a while too.