Palouse Country

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Palouse Country

Post by drm » March 24th, 2013, 9:20 pm

I did a tour of the Palouse region of southeast Washington state. The first day focused on Palouse Falls, and the second day on the Snake River.

Palouse Falls was raging

Looking the other way (south) at the Palouse River.

classic basalt formations

empty picnic area in the state park, but the park was not empty this Saturday afternoon

because all the picnicers were using the campground, where I wanted to camp

You can hike up along the rim for another view, and towards the trail that goes to the lip of the falls

How this area looks when you're down there

The hike there goes either from the gravel road near the restrooms, or along the rim, down this diagonal cut from the railroad tracks,
and then down the canyon. It's less than a mile one way.

You can get to within about 20 feet above the top of the falls

The earlier picture looking down was taken from the rim above here

There is one spot near the picnic area where some marmots are waiting to be fed

Once they realized I wasn't going to feed them, they went back to taking it easy

Day two I drove back to the town of Kahlotus and then took SR 263 down to the Snake River

The 130 mile long Columbia Plateau Trail (roughly Pasco to Spokane), a rails-to-trails project, passes by this area.
This is the Burr Canyon trestle and the trial actually goes along this thing! But there is no access in this area, and I read that it is closed to all access.
The road passes far below it, and no tresspass signs block access from here. You need to come in from farther north or south. I hope it is opened for use
some day.

After returning to the Pasco-Kahlotus Road (a much better way to travel this region than the more popular SR 260),
I found the Snake River Road, which led to Snake River Junction, which is a mid-trailhead for the Columbia Plateau Trail.
I decided to head north.

It reminded me a lot of the Deshutes River Trail, just bigger and longer. (But Deschutes is still unique in allowing camping - I don't think it is allowed anywhere in this area).

There are even train tracks follow the other side and they passed by regularly.

Last edited by drm on March 25th, 2013, 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

pdxnewbie

Re: Palouse Country

Post by pdxnewbie » March 25th, 2013, 8:10 am

awesome, is there any hiking opportunities or just a picnic area.

HomeValleyGirl

Post by HomeValleyGirl » March 25th, 2013, 7:47 pm

awesome - I can't wait to see that place up close - thank you

texasbb

Post by texasbb » March 25th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Great pictures as always, drm. I need to get back to Palouse Falls while the water's up like that. Thanks for the report!

BigBear

Post by BigBear » March 26th, 2013, 9:39 am

So, how'd you get the marmots to pose with the waterfall in the background...or are those stuffed kids toys? That's a nice capturing-the-moment shot.

drm

Post by drm » March 26th, 2013, 10:16 am

BigBear wrote:So, how'd you get the marmots to pose with the waterfall in the background...or are those stuffed kids toys? That's a nice capturing-the-moment shot.
Glad you noticed. :roll:

Two things: (1) patience; (2) a decent zoom (both of which I think are the basics of most wildlife photography, and I tend to be lacking in the first)

If you got too close, they walked towards you to beg for food, which meant that the waterfall was not in view. So you had to stand back, wait for them to walk to the right place near the edge, and then zoom in.