Bells Mountain Trail (Yacolt Burn State Forest)

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Bells Mountain Trail (Yacolt Burn State Forest)

Post by bobcat » March 19th, 2013, 4:21 pm

I headed up to the hinterland of Clark County for a jaunt along this trail, which serves as a connector between the East Fork Lewis River at Moulton Falls and the Tarbell Trail - and thence to the complex of trails around Silver Star.

I visited both Moulton ”Falls” (not worthy of the name) and Yacolt Falls before crossing the East Fork on the high bridge and heading down the East Fork Lewis River Greenway on the “baby stroller” trail on the old railroad grade. The Bells Mountain splits off from here about half a mile down. It has been designated part of a 31-mile “National Recreation Trail” which begins at the Hantwick Road Trailhead and ends at the Bluff Mountain Trailhead. This moniker strikes me as slightly ironic because there is no trail in our area that takes in so many clearcuts and brand-new logging roads; in this respect, and because of destructive ATV incursions, it has been declared an “endangered” trail by the Washington Trails Association. The trail was constructed by the Chinook Trail Association, using a substantial grant, which has included it in their vision for a 300-mile loop trail around the Columbia Gorge.
Looking upstream, East Fork Lewis River Gorge.jpg
East Fork Lewis River from high bridge, Moulton Falls.jpg
Sign at Bells Mountain Junction.jpg
Indian plum, Moulton Falls.jpg
The trail gets in most of its elevation on the out section in the first one and a half miles and then the clearcutting begins: I lost count of how many because one clearcut runs into another with slivers of forested creek drainage and little islands of spindly Douglas-firs left in-between. What the clearcuts do provide for national recreationists plying the trail are views down to the Dole Valley, back to Yacolt, Kloochman Butte, and on a clear day, Larch and Silver Star Mountains and Mt. St. Helens.
Deer in the bushes, Bells Mountain.jpg
View to Yacolt, Bells Mountain.jpg
Old snag, Bells Mountain.jpg
Road crossing, Bells Mountain Trail.jpg
I traversed the ravaged forest along Bells Mountain, dropped to a large creek, and then walked around the slopes of Spotted Deer Mountain, hitting more cuts before making a descent to Cedar Creek for the last couple of miles.
Creek between Bells and Spotted Deer Mountains.jpg
Dole Valley view, Spotted Deer Mountain.jpg
Looking to Larch Mountain, Spotted Deer Mountain.jpg
Heading along Cedar Creek is quite pleasant, with lush bogs, groves of cedar, and the clearcuts out of mind at times behind a screen of conifers. At least at this season, there were no signs of ATV activity, and the ATV trail that parallels Cedar Creek has been abandoned since the last time I hiked this trail. I sat for lunch at the bridge over Cedar Creek, near the Cold Creek Day-use Area, and then headed back.
Skunk-cabbage swamp, Cedar Creek.jpg
Looking downstream, Cedar Creek.jpg
Bird's nest fungus (Nidula niveotomentosa), Cedar Creek.jpg
Cedar Creek, Cold Creek Junction.jpg
The weather was much balmier than expected, with a light snow shower near the beginning of the hike and a few drizzles on the way back. Also, I should say that the greening that comes with the spring should mitigate some of the eyesores along the way as clearcuts often support swaths of colorful blooms.

About 15 ½ miles in and out

Stefrobrts

Re: Bells Mountain Trail (Yacolt Burn State Forest)

Post by Stefrobrts » March 19th, 2013, 5:44 pm

Thank you for the trip report! This is a trail I've been wanting to do, but I haven't felt like I was confident about the information I was finding about the trail. I'm a little paranoid about getting lost! Did you feel like the trail was quite easy to stay on, or does it disappear through the clearcuts?

I was thinking of parking a car at Moulton and driving up to Cold Creek Campground and hiking it from that direction, to avoid what I have heard is a grueling for mile and a half on the Moulton Falls end.
Stephanie
Vancouver, WA

mileagemike25000

Post by mileagemike25000 » March 19th, 2013, 7:54 pm

It sounds like a nice long hike, and you got some great pictures! We've been on that trail countless times and it's a favorite just because of the close proximity to our house. Despite the amount of logging on the trail, I still enjoy the area and particularly like the view of Mt. St. Helens (when it's clear). I have noticed that many of the clearcuts have been replanted, and hopefully will cover the devastation in a few years?

Mike

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 20th, 2013, 7:14 am

@Stefrobrts: No, you can't really get lost. There are DNR distance markers every half mile. Right now, there is "logging," (actually I think replanting) in one clearcut area, but they are not working on weekends. There's one part where the trail joins a new logging road, which obliterated it, and you have to walk 200 yards up the road to find the trail again. The ascent from the East Fork is about 1,200' in a mile and a half, steepish - but you get it over with rather quickly. From there, it's a bit of a roller coaster for a while before a gradual descent to Cold Creek. This trail is well-maintained and cleared of winter debris because both mountain bikers and horses also use it.

@Mike: You obviously hike it more than I do, but I would say the clearcuts have doubled since the last time I was on the trail about six years ago. I know sometimes the trail is closed because of logging activity, and I could see the trail had be rerouted in a couple of short sections.

I should say that DNR timber money goes into state projects, principally education, so it's for a good cause. Since this forest is part of a 100-year burn, there is no old growth being logged.