2/24/2013: ski touring with Koda and Water

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Eric Peterson

Re: 2/24/2013: ski touring with Koda and Water

Post by Eric Peterson » March 4th, 2013, 7:07 am

Cool trip :)

I see Water had a helmet, is that for skiing in the trees? Or just for extra pack weight, heh.

Water

Post by Water » March 4th, 2013, 4:41 pm

Eric Peterson wrote:Cool trip :)

I see Water had a helmet, is that for skiing in the trees? Or just for extra pack weight, heh.
Joe,

Thanks for doing a TR and posting - much appreciated. Really like that pic of me blotting out the setting sun as we crossed elk meadows. Likewise thanks to Wayne for the subject matter expertise.

Yes Eric, for the trees.. I am relatively new to skiing compared to Joe or Wayne. I don't know that I was skiing at any point with enough speed such that a tree collision would have done me in outright--though I suppose some bad luck and the right angle is plenty..anyways the helmet is pretty light, under a pound for sure and got on discount, for me, no reason not to bring it for such a situation.

Cheers
Feel Free to Feel Free

potato

Post by potato » March 4th, 2013, 9:19 pm

No shame in wearing a helmet I think... I always wore one for doing jumps and stuff. In fact next time I go ski touring I will probably bring mine. Like Matt said when we were out there -- it's like rock climbing -- a helmet can be the difference between a trivial bonk on the head and a really, really bad day.

Thanks for the kind words.
self observing universe (main blog)
Joe hikes (PCT blog)
Laws of Nature (bandcamp)

Koda

Post by Koda » March 4th, 2013, 11:28 pm

no shame at all in wearing a helmet ski touring. Lets distinguish the difference between touring and backcountry skiing.... the latter a more realistic name for the adventure we did earning our turns. I go back and forth with the names because sometimes people dont grasp the idea of hiking for your ski runs. Anyways, helmets are norm backcountry skiing. Admittingly I do need to use mine more often so I am a bad example. My new backcounty ski pack even has a feature to carry one and keep snow off it.
lightweight, cheap, strong... pick 2

Eric Peterson

Post by Eric Peterson » March 5th, 2013, 7:10 am

Yup, helmets are cool, almost as cool as bow ties. 8-)

And I know I'd be sporting one for sure if I was on this 'hike' since I don't even know how to ski! :)