Coyote Wall & The Labyrinth

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
arundodonax

Coyote Wall & The Labyrinth

Post by arundodonax » February 17th, 2013, 4:03 pm

It has long been thought that Medieval labyrinths were used as ritualistic pathways; a place to accomplish prayers and devotions. The Labyrinth area at Coyote Wall offers an oddly similar opportunity.

Frankly, I've always put off going out to this location because it looked, well, boring. But now that I've visited, I can see the appeal. While somewhat occupied by mountain bikes on the Coyote Wall side, the Labyrinth area is a unique and interesting hillside that stands apart from most of the hiking in this area. For whatever reason, walking the maze of pathways to the top is a relaxing and contemplative experience.

If you haven't been already, I'd definitely take a trip when the spring flowers pick up, preferably on a sunnier weekday. Though going now wouldn't hurt—the grass widows are already out. I ended up doing what the field guide calls the Coyote Wall Loop, with the Labyrinth section thrown in. This is a nice little hike.

9.0 miles, 2250' gained

Peder

Re: Coyote Wall & The Labyrinth

Post by Peder » February 17th, 2013, 7:03 pm

It is always beautiful out there. You can also make a loop over to Catherine Creek if you are feeling more adventurous. Too bad that it is so far from Portland, but I guess that is why the weather is usually sunny at that end of the Gorge!
Some people are really fit at eighty; thankfully I still have many years to get into shape…

oldsnowy

Post by oldsnowy » February 19th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Great and interesting report. I have put off this hike because of a rumor that the lower ( west ) portion of the hike was closed because of issues with private property. Has this changed or been cleared up?

arundodonax

Post by arundodonax » February 19th, 2013, 8:22 pm

No private property signs that I saw.

drm

Post by drm » February 20th, 2013, 7:57 am

oldsnowy wrote:Great and interesting report. I have put off this hike because of a rumor that the lower ( west ) portion of the hike was closed because of issues with private property. Has this changed or been cleared up?
It's the valley west of and below Coyote Wall that is closed due to private property issues.